Hey, Cis or Denise?
  Re: (...)
I can't remember which one of you has searched for the perfect fried chicken recipe. Anyway, I just watched Alex Guarnaschelli in Alex's Day Off do fried chicken, and she had some great tips. Two tips that I'm going to copy is making 10 pieces instead of 8 (halve the chicken breast in half crosswise) and placing them on a rack in the oven to ensure they're cooked through. Her marinade sounds good too, but I may add the spices that I use for buttermilk grilled chicken to her basic marinade. It's funny, I've seen chicken cut this way and never thought of doing it that way at home. HMMMM?

Here's a link to the recipe: Alex's Fried Chicken

She also did a quick pickle in this episode that sounds good that I want to try.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Hey, Cis or Denise? by Gourmet_Mom (I can't remember whi...)
Bob and I started doing that a long time ago. Mostly because you could stretch the chicken further that way. But it does cook more evenly!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Hey, Cis or Denise? by Gourmet_Mom (I can't remember whi...)
I don't understand what she is saying about how it is cut up - she says "1 whole chicken, cut into 10 pieces, or 4 legs and 4 thighs" - the legs and thighs are each cut into 2 pieces????? doesn't make sense. In school, we were taught to cut into 8 pieces - 2 legs, 2 thighs, 4 pieces from breast.

Daphne, you mention cutting the breast in halves also (making 10 pieces instead of 8 (halve the chicken breast in half crosswise) ) which I already do for my 8 pieces.

how the h*ll does she cut the legs and thighs?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Hey, Cis or Denise? by cjs (I don't understand w...)
No, she's offering two options. Eight pieces using all legs and thighs OR 10 pieces using the whole chicken. The breasts are separated into two then cut the other way to make them into four pieces. Then with the 2 wings, 2 legs, and 2 thighs, you get 10 pieces. Make sense?
Daphne
  Re: Re: Hey, Cis or Denise? by Gourmet_Mom (No, she's offering t...)
forgot about the wings, they are included in the way we were taught to cut the breasts into 4 total pieces. YOu mean she's giving the option of using legs and thighs versus a whole chicken, is that right?

O.K., I'm on the same page now.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Hey, Cis or Denise? by cjs (forgot about the win...)
Oh how I wish I could succeed at this I mean to try the "cold oil" fry sometime too. I don't think it was me tho' that was searching, cuz I gave up long ago, I suck at deep frying, either it's greasy or I burn and splatter everything. Same with Latke, battered shrimp, you name I'll ruin it if I try to deep fry.
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Hey, Cis or Denise? by farnfam (Oh how I wish I coul...)
Cis, the cold oil chicken "should" be your challenge for the summer!!!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Hey, Cis or Denise? by cjs (Cis, the cold oil ch...)
Just noticed the recipe (Alex's) called for 1 gallon of Canola oil. That seems like alot, but I'm the novice here. Anyway, whether you use a gallon or a half gallon for deep fried things, what do you all do with the oil after????
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Hey, Cis or Denise? by farnfam (Just noticed the rec...)
I haven't fried in a pot in a long time. I had a deep fryer that I used. But now that I'm going to have to start doing it in a pot again, I'll go back to straining it and reusing it.....unless, of course, I'm frying seafood. Then I toss it. Although, I don't use that much with fish....and I rarely fry seafood.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Hey, Cis or Denise? by Gourmet_Mom (I haven't fried in a...)
Ok, so if you can reuse it, how do you strain it? and how do you save it, in fridge? on counter? Oh and what is the average amount to use? This may be the root of my frying complex, the amount of oil frightens me
Cis
Empress for Life