18 hour rye bread---it's wonderful!
  Re: (...)
After a few attempts at making a rye bread that we both would be happy with, I decided to try the one from breadtopia for a sourdough rye. If you don't have a starter going at the moment, you can use 1 tsp. of yeast, which is what I had to do this time.

The other thing I changed is the amount of rye flour. The original recipe calls for 1 3/4 cups of rye, and 1 3/4 cups of bread flour. You need the bread flour because it's higher gluten. Ron doesn't like a rye bread that is too dark, so I only used 1 cup of rye, then white bread flour for the rest.

Here is the recipe for anyone who is interested and my pictures will follow:

SOURDOUGH RYE BREAD from breadtopia.com

Ingredients:
Water: 400 grams, 1 3/4 cups
Sourdough Starter: 70 grams, 1/3 cup (omit if making the instant yeast version)
Instant Yeast: 1 tsp. (omit if making sourdough leavened version)
Rye Flour: 245 grams, 1 3/4 cups
Bread Flour: 245 grams, 1 3/4 cups
Molasses: 44 grams, 2 Tbs.
Fennel Seed: 8 grams, 1 Tbs.
Anise Seed: 2 grams, 1 tsp.
Caraway Seed: 3 grams, 1 tsp.
Salt: 12 grams, 1 3/4 tsp.
Zest of 1 Orange

For sourdough version:

In a mixing bowl, mix the starter into the water. Add the molasses, all the seeds and orange zest.

In a separate bowl, combine the flours and salt.

Gradually stir the dry ingredients into the wet using a dough whisk or spoon until the flour is well incorporated. Cover with plastic and let rest for 15 minutes. After about 15 minutes, mix again for a minute or two. Again let rest for 15 minutes and mix one more time as before. Now cover the bowl with plastic and let sit at room temperature for roughly 12-14 hours.

For instant yeast version:

The only difference is don’t use sourdough starter and instead mix the instant yeast into the dry ingredients before combining with the wet ingredients.

Note on 12-14 hour proofing period: I typically prepare everything in the evening for baking the next morning. You can also mix everything up in the morning and refrigerate until evening then remove before bed to resume the proofing at room temperature. Alternatively, if you get started with mixing everything up early enough in the morning, the bread can also be ready to bake in the evening. This is a nice option when you want fresh bread ready to eat for breakfast.

After the long 12-14 hour proof, stretch and fold the dough and shape into boule or batard (round or oblong) shape for baking. (If you didn’t follow that, I’m afraid you’re doomed to watch the video.) Cover again with plastic and let rest 15 minutes before putting in a proofing basket for the final rise. If you don’t have a proofing basket, line a bowl with a well floured kitchen towel and put the dough in there for the final rise. The final rise should last somewhere between 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Keep the dough covered with plastic to prevent it from drying out.

Preheat your oven to 475 F a half hour before baking.

Score the dough with a razor or sharp serrated knife and bake until the internal temp is about 200 F.

Let cool completely before eating.

[Image: March1918hrsryebread001.jpg]

[Image: March1918hrsryebread002.jpg]
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: 18 hour rye bread---it's wonderful! by Mare749 (After a few attempts...)
WOW!!! That is beautiful! Gorgeous! This might actually be doable using my cast iron griddle, preheated. We love rye bread, really really ryey rye bread. I would think that you could also add some "sour salt" (citric acid) to the dough to get a more sour flavor.

Thank you for sharing this. I might just make it this for the trip.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: 18 hour rye bread---it's wonderful! by Harborwitch (WOW!!! That is beau...)
WOW! Maryann, you outdid yourself! That is BEAUTIFUL! William would love this! I'm putting this on the list for next weekend. Thanks!

I've got a question, though. I've never made a Boule, and I don't own a proofing basket. Either way, how do you get the dough out of the bowl/basket without deflating the dough? This question has bothered me for a while and is the very reason I haven't made one.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: 18 hour rye bread---it's wonderful! by Gourmet_Mom (WOW! Maryann, you o...)
I have the proofing baskets - but I don't think I brought them. That always got me too. I guess it could be gently eased out onto a parchment and then put in the oven????
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: 18 hour rye bread---it's wonderful! by Harborwitch (I have the proofing ...)
How did you do it with the proofing baskets? Or do you bake it right in the basket?
Daphne
  Re: Re: 18 hour rye bread---it's wonderful! by Gourmet_Mom (How did you do it wi...)
I'll let Maryann tell you how she did hers (and, by the way, what a beautiful loaf of bread!!! ), but Daphne, you could do a couple of things. Either "shape into boule or batard (round or oblong) shape for baking" on parchment paper set in a bowl. Then gently move with the parchment paper to the baking vessel when ready. Or let it rise in the baking vessel then bake. I'd do the first way, myself.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: 18 hour rye bread---it's wonderful! by cjs (I'll let Maryann tel...)
Thanks, Jean!

I just printed the instructions. If I've got the carroway seeds, I'm adding this to my baking weekend.
Daphne
  Re: Re: 18 hour rye bread---it's wonderful! by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks, Jean![br][br...)
I just love the 18 hour no-knead recipes. They are practically fool-proof. I used two other recipes recently, and the first one was so heavy it could have been used as a door stop, and the second one just didn't have enough flavor and was still too heavy. This time I got it right, and we both agreed on this! Nice and crusty, but also had just the right amount of "chewiness"

Daphne, I mostly followed the above directions and mixed the dough last night about 9:00 and put it on a warm shelf in my kitchen to rest overnight. At about 11 a.m. I used a spatula to get the dough out of the bowl and dumped it on a large wooden board with a heavy dusting of flour.

Then, I just patted it out to stretch it a bit, and folded it up like an envelope, turned it over and shaped it into a round, dusted it with flour and let it sit for 20 minutes.

I took a round woven basket that sits on my counter that I usually put fruit in and lined it with an old cotton towel. (The old-fashioned kind made of Egyptian cotton that are sometimes called "flour sack") I folded the towel in half and dusted it heavily with flour, rubbing it into the fabric. After the 20 minute rest (this is to let the bottom edges seal together) I floured my hands and picked up the boule and turned it upside-down into the proofing basket. Then, let it rise for 1 1/2 hours before turning it out into my cast iron dutch oven and baking.

For anyone who hasn't watched the demonstration videos on breadtopia, I found them to be very helpful.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: 18 hour rye bread---it's wonderful! by Mare749 (I just love the 18 h...)
OMG that looks fantastic!!! I bet it tasted even better I must make another batch soon
  Re: Re: 18 hour rye bread---it's wonderful! by DFen911 (OMG that looks fanta...)
My cast iron is too big....the last time I tried 18 hour bread, it burned slightly and was terribly misshapen. The side not next to the pan was overcooked. Maybe if I put it in the middle? But will it hold it's shape? And it doesn't deflate when you transfer it?

So many questions....OIY! Maybe I should just wait until I get a smaller pan and a proofing basket?
Daphne