Italian bread success---finally!!!
  Re: (...)
We love Italian bread, so I've been on a quest for a long time now to find the perfect recipe. This is my current new favorite. It does not have as thick or as crunchy of a crust as 18 hour no-knead bread, but the crust is nice and chewy and the inside is pure heaven!

The recipe is long, both to read and to use, but once you make it, you will realize that none of the steps takes more than a few minutes at a time. You just have to be home for about 5 or 6 hours and it's really very easy once you master the method. This is from "The Bread Baker's Apprentice" by Peter Reinhart. If you enjoy baking your own bread, this is really worth the time to learn.

* Exported from MasterCook *

PUGLIESE

Recipe By Peter Reinhart

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
Day 1, prepare Biga:
2 1/2 cups unbleached bread flour (11.25 ounces)
1/2 Teaspoon instant yeast (.055 ounce)
3/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons water to 1 cup (7 to 8 ounces -- at room temperature

Day 2 for Bread:
2 1/4 cups fancy or extra fancy durum flour and unbleached bread flour (10 ounces) -- in any combination
1 1/2 teaspoons salt (.38 ounce)
1 teaspoon yeast (.11 ounce)
1/4 cup mashed potatoes (seasoned) -- optional
1 cup to 1 1/8 cups water (8-9 ounces) -- lukewarm (90 to 100 F)
Semolina flour or cornmeal for dusting

For Biga: Mix together flour, yeast and water. Knead for 4-6 minutes (can use electric mixer with dough hook) until soft and pliable, tacky, but not sticky. Internal temp should be 77-81 degrees F.
Lightly oil or spray a bowl, add the dough, another spray of oil and cover with plastic wrap. Ferment at room temperature for 2 to 4 hours or until it nearly doubles in size. (I made this after dinner and left it out until I went to bed) Take it out and knead it lightly to de-gas and return it to the bowl, cover, and put in the
frig overnight. You can keep in the frig for up to 3 days.

Day 2: Remove the biga from the frig one hour before making the dough. Cut into about 10 small pieces with a pastry scraper or a serrated knife. Cover with a towel or plastic wrap and let sit for 1 hour to take off the chill.

For the bread: Stir together the flour, salt and yeast in a 4 qt. mixing bowl (or in the bowl of an electric mixer). Add the biga pieces, mashed potatoes, and 1 cup of the water. (If you are using all bread flour instead of the durum, start with 3/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons water.) Using a large metal spoon (or on low speed with the paddle attachment), mix until the ingredients form a wet, sticky ball. If there is still some loose flour, add the additional water as needed and continue to mix.

If you are mixing by hand, repeatedly dip one of your hands or the metal spoon into cold water and use, much like a dough hook, to work the dough vigorously into a smooth mass while rotating the bowl in a circular motion with the other hand. Reverse the circular motion a few times to develop the gluten further. Do this
for 5-7 minues, or until the dough is smooth and the ingredients are evenly distributed. IF YOU ARE USING AN ELECTRIC MIXER, switch to the dough hook and mix on medium speed for 4-5 minutes, or for as long as it takes to create a smooth, sticky dough. The dough should clear the sides of the bowl but stick to the bottom of the bowl. If the dough is still very sticky again the sides of the bowl, sprinkle in a little more flour until it clears the sides. Don't be alarmed if the dough seems very sticky. The wetter it is, the better the final bread will be.

Sprinkle enough bread flour on the counter to make a bed about 8 inches square. Using a scraper or spatula dipped in water, transfer the dough to the bed of flour and proceed with the stretch and fold method shown on page 138. (Description of this follows) Mist the top of the dough with spray oil, again dust with flour, and loosely cover with plastic wrap. Let rest for 30 minues and repeat the stretch-and-fold method and again mist with spray oil, dust with flour and cover.
(Each time you repeat this process, the dough will become stronger, more elastic, and less sticky.)

Lightly oil a large mixing bowl. For the third time, repeat the the stretch-and-fold technique. and transfer the dough to the bowl. Cover the bowl and ferment the dough at room temperature for 2 hours. After two hours, transfer the dough to the counter, taking care not to degas the dough any more than necessary. With a pastry scraper or serrated knife, divide the dough into two pieces. Dipping your hands into flour, gently shape the dough into 2 boules. (I like to make ovals) Let them relax on the counter for a few minutes, seam-side down, while you prepare the proofing bowls.

Prepare two proofing bowls, making sure to coat with spray oil and generously dust the entire surface of the cloth with flour. Gently transfer the dough, seam side up, into each of the bowls. If the seam opens up, pinch it closed. Mist the top of the dough with spray oil and over the bowls with the flaps of the cloth.
NOTE: I have used this method, but have also just shaped the loaves and set them on the back of a baking sheet (or on the bread board) that I sprinkled with cornmeal, then covered with a towel. Proof at room temperature for 60-90 minutes, or until the dough has expanded to about 1 1/2 times its original size.

Preheat the oven to 500 F., making sure to have an empty steam pan in place. Generously dust a peel or the back of a sheet pan with semolina or cornmeal, and gently transfer the dough to the peel or pan by carefully turning each bowl over onto the peel, lifting off the bowl, and then carefully peeling off the cloth. Score the loaves with a pound (#) sign. Transfer the dough to the baking stone(or bake on the sheet pan. Pour 1 cup of hot water into the steam pan and close the door. After 30 seconds, spray the oven walls with water and close the door again. Repeat twice more at 30-second intgervals. After the final spray, lower the oven setting to 450 F and bake for 15 minutes. Check the loaves at this point and rotate 180 degress, if necessary, for even baking. Continue baking for 5-15 minutes, or until the breads are a deep golden brown and register about 205 F in the center.l

Allow to cool for at least 40 minutes before slicing or serving.

DESCRIPTION OF STRETCH AND FOLD METHOD:
Using a bread board or counter, sprinkle with flour into at least an 8 inch square. (I make mine larger) Dust the top of the dough liberally with flour, patting the dough into a rectangle. Wait 2 minutes for the dough to relax. Coat your hands with flour and lift the dough from each end, stretching it to twice its size. Fold the dough over itself, letter style and return it to a rectangular shape.

(Do this a total of 3 times, 30 minutes apart. It makes such a huge difference in the final product.)

Description:
From the southeastern Italian region of Apulia
Source:
"The Bread Baker's Apprentice"
Yield:
"2 loaves"

NOTES : Maryann's notes: I did use the steam pan and a baking stone, but did not spray the oven walls at 30 second intervals. Bread was still excellent. For the final rise, I have used the recommended method of a cloth-lined basket, but find it easier to to form the bread and just let it sit on the bread board until ready to bake. From the bread board, I just gently transfer it to the pre-heated stone.
Since we usually don't need two loaves baked on the same day, I keep the dough for a second loaf in the frig for 2 days.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Italian bread success---finally!!! by Mare749 (We love Italian brea...)
Well, I for one have been waiting with bated breath for this to be finalized by you, Maryann!!!! I think I can start this tomorrow for sure. If we had smell-a-computer, I bet we could even smell it. Thanks
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Italian bread success---finally!!! by cjs (Well, I for one have...)
Oh, I forgot to mention that I don't always have mashed potatoes on hand, but it's a great addition. So, what I did the other day was stick a baking potato in the microwave for four minutes, then split it open and buttered and salted it, then mashed it up real good with a fork. When it was cool, I just measured it out into the measuring cup. Another time, I used potato flakes. They are great to have on hand just for this purpose.

I have to charge the batteries for my camera, but I'll take a picture of the next loaf I bake.
Maryann

Re: Re: Italian bread success---finally!!! by cjs (Well, I for one have...)
YEAH, MARYANN!!!!!! YOU ROCK! I've been waiting for the perfect loaf also. I hate that I have succumbed to the pollen and don't feel up to baking! MAN! And it will be three weeks before I can play! POOH!!! I'm copying and saving! I can't wait to try it. Thanks!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Italian bread success---finally!!! by Gourmet_Mom (YEAH, MARYANN!!!!!! ...)
Maryann when you used the flakes did you cook them up like the box directs and cool or did you just add the flakes and increase the water in the dough a bit?

I can't wait to see the pictures..I wish I could smell it too
  Re: Re: Italian bread success---finally!!! by DFen911 (Maryann when you use...)
What flakes? Am I missing something?
Daphne
  Re: Re: Italian bread success---finally!!! by Gourmet_Mom (What flakes? Am I m...)
Too much wine medication for your allergies, MS??????

"Another time, I used potato flakes. They are great to have on hand just for this purpose." per Maryann

I used to keep potato flakes on hand for thickening soups and such. good idea Maryann!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Italian bread success---finally!!! by cjs (Too much wine medica...)
For Pete's sake! We were posting at the same time and I never saw Maryann's post about the potato flakes...LOL! OOPS!

Thanks for the clarification, Jean. I would have never seen that post...LOL!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Italian bread success---finally!!! by DFen911 (Maryann when you use...)
Quote:

Maryann when you used the flakes did you cook them up like the box directs and cool or did you just add the flakes and increase the water in the dough a bit?

I can't wait to see the pictures..I wish I could smell it too

I usually just stir 2 Tablespoons of potato flakes into a cup of hot water, then let it sit on the counter and cool down before adding it to the dough. With the baked potato, once it was all mashed and seasoned, I stirred it into the water too.
Maryann

Re: Re: Italian bread success---finally!!! by Mare749 ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Thank you I can't wait to try this!