Corned Beef Recipes for Christine and Mother
  Re: (...)
I'm posting these recipe per a request I received from Christine and since sometimes folks have trouble opening email attachments, I'm posting all of them here.

Have fun Christine and join us on the forum!!

`Corned Beef Dinner
(Cuisine, April 1999, Issue 14, p. 27)
Makes: 6 Servings Total Time: 3 Hours 15 Minutes Rating: Easy

For the Corned Beef—
Rub a 4-lb. Corned Beef with:
2 T. brown sugar, packed
1 t. dry mustard
1/2 t. freshly ground pepper
1/2 t. ground nutmeg
1/2 t. ground ginger
1/2 t. ground cloves
1/8 t. cayenne pepper
Braise; Brush with Glaze.
For the Glaze—
Whisk Together:
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
2 T. soy sauce
1 T. Dijon mustard
1/2 t. cayenne pepper
1/2 t. dry mustard
1/2 t. ground ginger

Related Recipes:
Corned Beef Glaze
Roasted Root Vegetables
Horseradish Sauce
Cabbage Rolls

Preheat oven to 350°.

Combine the rub ingredients and rub corned beef and massage over both sides. Pour 2 cups cold water into the pan (don’t pour it over beef or rub will wash off). Cover tightly with foil.

Braise in oven 1 hour. After 1 hour, remove brisket from pan and discard liquid. Return meat to pan, add 2 cups fresh water, and cover. Braise another hour. After second hour, drain and replace water as done previously. Cover and braise a third hour.

Whisk together glaze ingredients, in small bowl. Remove beef from oven; raise heat to 450°. Pour off liquid; brush on glaze. Return to oven, uncovered, 15 min. Let rest 10 min.
Before slicing, find which way the grain of meat runs—you’ll be cutting against the grain. Hold beef steady with a carving fork. Then, using a sharp slicing knife, thinly slice beef against grain. Thinner slices will be more tender. Slicing at an angle (“on the bias”) makes the pieces wider than if you sliced straight down. Bias-cut meat makes for a nicer presentation.

Nutrition Information (Per serving):
329 calories 62% calories from fat 23g total fat 8g carb. 2079mg sodium

Roasted Root Vegetables
(MAKES 6-8 CUPS; SERVES 6)
WORK TIME: 15 MINUTES
COOK TIME: 30 MINUTES
CUT INTO EQUAL-SIZED CHUNKS:
6-8 new red potatoes, unpeeled
3 large parsnips, peeled
1 medium turnip, peeled
1 medium rutabaga, peeled
TOSS WITH, THEN ROAST:
2 T. olive oil
1 t. kosher salt
1/4 t. freshly ground pepper

Preheat oven to 450°F. cut veggies into equal-sized pieces so they’ll cook in about the same amount of time.
IN a large bowl, toss veggies with olive oil, salt and pepper, coatng well. Spread on sheet pan and roast 15 minutes.
Remove veggies from oven; stir so they brown evenly and don’t stick. Return tooven to roast 10-15 minutes more.

HORSERADISH SAUCE
(MAKES 1 1/4 CUPs)
WORK TIME: 5 MINUTES
WHISK TOGETHER AND REFRIGERATE:
1 cup sour cream
3 T. grated prepared horseradish
2 T. chopped fresh parsley
1 T. fresh lemon juice
1/2 t. kosher salt
1/8 t. cayenne pepper

Mix all together n as mall bowl and refrigerate until ready to serve. This sauce is a great compliment to the veggies and the beef.

CABBAGE ROLLS
(MAKES 12 ROLLS, 2 PER SERVING)
WORK TIME: 45 MINUTES
COOK TIME: 30 MINUTES

TRIM, BLANCH, AND DRY:
16-18 large green cabbage leaves
FOR FILLING, SAUTE IN 2 T. OLIVE OIL:
3 cups green cabbage, shredded
1 cup carrots, shredded
1 cup red onion, slivered
1 cup celery, julienned
ADD:
1 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
2 T. sugar
1 T. Creole or Dijon mustard
1 t. caraway seeds
1 t. kosher salt
1/4 t. freshly ground black pepper
FOR MUSTARD VINAIGRETTE, COMBINE:
1/4 cup prepared yellow mustard
2 T. water
1 T. white wine vinegar
1 T. yellow mustard seeds
1 T. sugar
SLOWLY WHISK IN:
1/4 cup light olive oil
SEASON WITH:
Salt and pepper to taste

To peel, cabbage leaves from head, first cut a leaf at the stem, close to the core. Detach leaf by carefully pulling from stem, peeling leaf away.

Peel off 16-18 large leaves (use two heads of cabbage). Cut leaves in half down both sides of rib, you’ll have extra if some rip. Discard rib.
Blanch cabbage leaves in boiling, salted water, about 1 min. then plunge in ice water to stop cooking. Drain on paper towels. Set aside.
Shred cabbage for filling and mix with veggies. Heat oil in large skillet over high heat. Sauté veggies 10 minutes, stirring frequently.

Reduce heat to medium and stir in vinegar, sugar, mustard and seasonings. Cover and cook 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cool.
To form rolls, overlap two cabbage leaf halves with the thicker end toward you. Place
2 T. filling at base and fold bottom over filling.
Keeping the base fold in place with one hand, use the other hand to fold one side toward the center. Then fold the other side in. Now, roll up.

Finish rolling tightly to the end. Place on plate with seam side down, cover with plastic and set aside until ready to steam.

For vinaigrette, combine mustard, water, vinegar, mustard seeds, and sugar. Slowly whisk in oil, and season with salt and pepper.
To steam, boil 1” water in large saucepan lined with steamer basket. Add rolls, cover, and steam until heated through, 6 – 8 minutes. The vinaigrette is perfect on sandwiches the next day.

Platting the dinner –
Place roasted veggies to one side of the plate. Then, cut cabbage rolls in half and place them next to the veggies.
Next, slice corned beef and drape several slices at front of plate, overlapping veggies and cabbage rolls slightly. Finally, spoon some Horseradish sauce on veggies, and drizzle mustard vinaigrette over cabbage. Serve with beer.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Corned Beef Recipes for Christine and Mother by cjs (I'm posting these re...)
Awwww...how sweet you are, Jean...typical of you.

Christine, I hope you will join us. We are a really friendly bunch! Some of us are mouthier than others (NO COMMENT YOU GUYS!) But we are all willing to share our cooking successes AND failures. I have learned soooo much from these folks! I don't hesitate to ask a question about something. Usually, somebody has an answer or opinion. And I learn with each question and every failure!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Corned Beef Recipes for Christine and Mother by Gourmet_Mom (Awwww...how sweet yo...)
Thanks for posting this, Jean. Now I can copy and paste rather than typing it in myself.

Christine, I'd love for you to join us as well. As a relatively new kid on the block, I can tell you that this is a wonderful community!

I was actually looking at this recipe in my disaster of a house as I waited for today's students to arrive. I'm trying to figure out what to pick for my b-day dinner in April. I'm not sure this is the direction I want to go, however. I'm tired of winter food and ready to start celebrating spring. I am so done with winter!

OT: Granite is going in tomorrow, and tile and floors will be done in the next week. I CAN'T WAIT TO HAVE MY HOUSE BACK!!!!
  Re: Re: Corned Beef Recipes for Christine and Mother by karyn (Thanks for posting t...)
"as I waited for today's students to arrive" Karyn, aren't you still on hiatus? Or did you tell us you are tutoring?

I know you are soooo missing your kitchen! It sounds like you're coming along though. Do you have an ETA?

I'm with you on the Spring dishes! >>>>>anxiously awaiting birthday dinner menu<<<<<<
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Corned Beef Recipes for Christine and Mother by Gourmet_Mom ("as I waited for tod...)
Just looked at the B'day month for April - Where's Vicci been? She hasn't been around for quite a while? I'm anxious to hear what you pick, also, Karyn.

Sounds like the kitchen is moving along, but I'm sure you are going crazy not having it.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com