artisan bread
  Re: (...)
I regret to say that I saved the recipe but not the cover, so can only say the recipe appeared in Feb/Mar 2011. I made the dough Sunday and the first loaf from it last night.
The dough was beyond wet. It rose to more than double in the 2 hour first rise. When I put it in the refrigerator it fell to slightly above its starting volume.
When I got out the required approximately 1 lb to make a loaf, it instructed to shape into a ball. Despite adding a fair amount of additional flour, it really couldn't to be said to form a ball. It was like trying to shape cream soup! At that point I almost threw out the whole batch of dough (or should I say "batter"?). I could not see how it could rise, just sink into a flat sheet of bread. I am a pretty experienced baker, but could not imagine this liquid rising or baking into bread. But I carried on, and to my surprise, although the baked bread did not resemble the photo, it was really tasty!
Has anyone else made this recipe? What were your experiences?
  Re: artisan bread by palomalou (I regret to say that...)
First off, welcome to the forum, 'palomalou'!!

I looked throught issue #85, Feb. 2011 and couldn't find the bread you made. Couldn't find it in the index under 'Artisan Bread' either. Hopefully, someone will recognize the recipe.

But, I don't think I've made this bread.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: artisan bread, by cjs (First off, welcome t...)
Welcome to the forum palomalou! I have made the bread you are talking about. It is not a Cuisine recipe, but is from the book "Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day." I believe it was Cubangirl who posted the recipe last time we had a discussion about the 18 hour no-knead bread.

CG mentioned that she has had great luck with this recipe, so I was anxious to try it. My experience wasn't much different from yours. The dough was a pain to work with and although the bread was good enough, it wasn't any better than the 18 hr. NK recipe and more work, at least for me. I find it easier to just mix up the 18 hr. bread in the early evening, (it only takes a few minutes) then let it work it's magic until late morning the next day.

BTW, does anyone know where Cubangirl is these days?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: artisan bread, by Mare749 (Welcome to the forum...)
I haven't seen her OR Vicci on lately. I hope everything is okay.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: artisan bread, by Gourmet_Mom (I haven't seen her O...)
I've been wondering about Vicci too - CG seems to pop in now and then. Also, it's been awhile since Roxanne has checked in. Time for an email.....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: artisan bread, by cjs (I've been wondering ...)
Now that I am not working 7 days a week, and feel reasonably healthy, I will send Vicci an email this weekend. I have missed her tremendously.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: artisan bread, by chef_Tab (Now that I am not wo...)
Hey, Theresa, what IS up with work?
Daphne
  Re: Re: artisan bread, by Gourmet_Mom (Hey, Theresa, what I...)
Now, I'm feeling concerned - got my email back to Roxanne, her address is no longer good. I hope she'll check in...

'palomalou,' hope you'll excuse us hijacking your thread, we sometimes do this, but hope you'll come back and check and join us - do you know where these missing folks are??
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: artisan bread by palomalou (I regret to say that...)
Mea culpa, I have discovered my error: I take Cuisine at Home and the Cooking Club mag. This recipe was from there. But I have always had a hard time with bread that is not cooked in a loaf pan, that it spreads out instead of rising up. What do I do wrong?
  Re: Re: artisan bread by palomalou (Mea culpa, I have di...)
I'd guess your flour to water ratio is off. Maryann and Cis have posted some really good recipes. I've made Cis' recipe many times, quite successfully. Maryann's is on it's final rise as I type. Check it out.
Daphne