Broiled Mussels With Pesto/SW
  Re: (...)
I stole this idea and modified it. Rick Stein is the best British chef IMHO.

1 lb mussels
A splash of dry white wine
2 heaping T basil pesto
salt & pepper
cayenne pepper
breadcrumbs (large to med)

Cover & cook the wine and mussels 3 to 4 min, until mussels open--discard unopened shells. Drain in a colander over a bowl. Discard one shell of each mussel--place each shell with a mussel on a baking sheet until all are arranged--mix the drained cooking liquid with the pesto until a spreadable mixture is made--not too liquid -spread over each mussel, add salt and peppers, and cover with breadcrumbs. Broil until breadcrumbs are browned and crisp. Delicious--mussels can be cooked several hours ahead--then finished with pesto mixture in the broiler!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Broiled Mussels With Pesto/SW by Old Bay (I stole this idea an...)
Wow, almost like my oysters except with mussels. sounds great, Bill.

Here's a picture of them that Laura took a while back -
[Image: DSC02895.jpg]
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Broiled Mussels With Pesto/SW by cjs (Wow, almost like my ...)
Oh my lord they both sound sooooo yummy!!!

I need to find where I can order mussels safely.
  Re: Re: Broiled Mussels With Pesto/SW by DFen911 (Oh my lord they both...)
Oh, my....don't those look good. Bill, I'll have to pass both of these on to BG. Those are the only seafood, other than fish and clams, she can eat comfortably.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Broiled Mussels With Pesto/SW by Gourmet_Mom (Oh, my....don't thos...)
This sounds like it could be a great appetizer for our menu. Any reason why you couldn't do it with frozen mussels?
  Re: Re: Broiled Mussels With Pesto/SW by iBcookin (This sounds like it ...)
I don't think you'd have a problem, Linda. I had a chance to work with frozen mussels last year and I was surprised at how good they were. Frozen clams were the pitts, but the mussels were o.k.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Broiled Mussels With Pesto/SW by cjs (I don't think you'd ...)
The picture is of oysters and really looks good.
I'm with Jean, I think you could use frozen mussels but you would lose a beautiful presentation.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Broiled Mussels With Pesto/SW by Old Bay (The picture is of oy...)
Quote:

The picture is of oysters and really looks good.
I'm with Jean, I think you could use frozen mussels but you would lose a beautiful presentation.

We've had the frozen green lipped mussels and they've been quite good. We also got a bag of frozen that weren't good at all. They all come with their shells so you'd still have the shells.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Broiled Mussels With Pesto/SW by Harborwitch ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
yes, we had shells with ours too.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Broiled Mussels With Pesto/SW by cjs (yes, we had shells w...)
We got them in frozen (in shells), and I was really surprised how good they were and how reasonably priced they were. I would sacrifice some of the presentation aspects, but they would still be on a half-shell, and I think would make a mighty tasty app. I love the idea of the pesto.