Tuesday, What's for Dinner, 4/5??
  Re: (...)
What's on everyone's menu for tonight?

We're running around so will probably pick something up on the way to or from.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Tuesday, What's for Dinner, 4/5?? by cjs (What's on everyone's...)
We're having ribs, corn on the cob, and garlic roasted green beans.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Tuesday, What's for Dinner, 4/5?? by Gourmet_Mom (We're having ribs, c...)
Chicken breasts, pounded out and rolled up with stuffing in the middle and baked. Side of brussel sprouts and applesauce.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Tuesday, What's for Dinner, 4/5?? by Mare749 (Chicken breasts, pou...)
Leftovers here!
  Re: Re: Tuesday, What's for Dinner, 4/5?? by HomeCulinarian (Leftovers here!...)
We should have leftovers but tonight is $2.00 Taco Tuesday at the little restaurant here on the golf course. We are going!!!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Tuesday, What's for Dinner, 4/5?? by Harborwitch (We should have lefto...)
TWO DOLLAR TACOS?!?!? How cool is that?!?! How were they?

Maryann, what did you stuff in your chicken breasts?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Tuesday, What's for Dinner, 4/5?? by Gourmet_Mom (TWO DOLLAR TACOS?!?!...)
Wellllllllllll. Just weren't really amazing. The guacamole came out of a suspicious looking tub (avocado flavored dip?) there wasn't a lot of meat. It was standard Taco Tuesday stuff. 3 Tbs each of beans & rice in little bowls for a 1.50 extra. The best part was that there were no dishes and I got another night off of cooking.

Tomorrow I will pay for this! Asparagus soup and pizza!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Tuesday, What's for Dinner, 4/5?? by Harborwitch (We should have lefto...)
Copydog!

(Well, you can't call me a copyCAT, can you?)

Of all the American chains here, Church's Chicken is not as expected as Wendy's and KFC, but they have a sandwich that is one of my favourites (and is not available at their U.S. locations - only here and Puerto Rico).

[Image: churchs.png]

They call it the "Pancho Sandwich," and it's built as follows:
  • The bottom half of the bun
  • Some of their Creamy Jalapeño sauce
  • A boneless breast of fried chicken
  • A little more of the sauce
  • Some minced onions (the picture above, from the Puerto-Rican Church's) shows red onions, but they use white onions, here)
  • A slice of American cheese
  • A small handful of tortilla chips (e.g. Doritos, but plain, not flavoured)
  • Tomato
  • Lettuce
  • The top half of the bun, spread with more of the sauce
Obviously, the sauce is the key, and it's kind of a Jalapeño Ranch, but that's where I'll be tinkering. In fact, the other day, I bought one of the sandwiches for lunch and asked for some extra sauce on the side. Then, I only ate half the sandwich and brought home the other half, along with the additional sauce so I could try to dissect it.

Rather than starting with ranch dressing [expensive], I just decided to keep it simple and to start with mayonnaise. What I made today wasn't too far off, even though I didn't even try to replicate ranch as the starting point.

Here's what I wound up using:
Ingredients:
  • 1 Cup Mayonnaise
  • 3 Jalapeño peppers, seeded and diced
  • 1 Roma tomato – stem end removed, diced
  • 1 Tbsp. Cilantro, chopped
  • 1/4 Tsp. Salt
  • 1/4 Tsp. Pepper
Instructions:
  • Purée all ingredients in the blender until smooth.
Due to a busy next couple of days, I haven't tried to recreate Church's Chicken, so I just use something store bought to see how close a whole sandwich would be.

The result: This was really delicious. It's not EXACTLY the same and I'm thinking about adding some garlic to a small portion of it to see if that's any closer. Also, I may add some lime juice, based upon hearing that Church's has a "Jalapeño-Lime Sauce" which may be what someone else has called the "Creamy Jalapeño Sauce."

Either way, even as it is right now, it is wonderful. I even tried dipping a slice of deli ham into it and that was fantastic, so I know I'll be making more of this, however it winds up.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Tuesday, What's for Dinner, 4/5?? by labradors (Copydog![br][br](Wel...)
Labs, I haven't had time to play with this one yet, but here's a recipe for a So. California restaurant's White Jalapeno Sauce. Miguels used to give out the recipe but have stopped and they wouldn't give it to me, but the P.R. gal I'm talking to says this one is very similar. There are a number of them floating around the internet.

The chef has sent me his enchiladas recipe that they use the sauce with (it's also good with chips)

You might start with this and see where it takes you - would love to hear what you do, I'm planning on working with it soon, also.

Jalapeno White Sauce

2 c. Whipping Cream
1 c. Sour Cream
1/2 tsp. salt
2 T. Clarified Butter (or regular butter)
1 T. Flour
1 Jalapeno, seeded and minced
1 T. juice from bottled jalapenos
2 oz. Shredded cheese - mexi-mix

Heat whipping cream in a heavy saucepan over high heat. When the cream is ready to boil, stir in sour cream. After sour cream dissolves, reduce heat to medium. Stir in salt and jalapeno juice and simmer.

While cream is heating: Make a roux by warming butter in a saucepan over medium heat, adding flour, and mixing with a wire whip until mixture starts to turn pale gold.

Just before cream mixture is ready to boil again, add roux, whisking briskly and constantly until roux is incorporated. Remove from heat; stir in minced jalapeno and the cheese.
Makes about 3 1/2 cups.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Tuesday, What's for Dinner, 4/5?? by cjs (Labs, I haven't had ...)
Sounds good, Jean. It's not the same as what Church's uses, since it's more of a béchamel and Church's is more like a creamy dressing, but I could certainly see using this on those enchiladas.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?