Cis' Crusty Country French Baguettes
  Re: (...)
2 beautiful baguettes for Crostini - and they taste as good as they look. Yum.

[Image: CisCountryFrenchBaguettes.jpg]

thanks cis. (I did add the sugar and also 1 tsp. black pepper in addition to the 2 tsps. garlic)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Cis' Crusty Country French Baguettes by cjs (2 beautiful baguette...)
Those are gorgeous, Jean. I'll have to try that recipe again. I wasn't all that successful with the first attempt, but don't remember why. Might have needed new yeast.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Cis' Crusty Country French Baguettes by Mare749 (Those are gorgeous, ...)
Maryann, I don't know about you, but I've had several so so attempts at this and realized last time I made it that I have left out the corn meal on a couple of occasions. It's not in the directions! Made correctly, it sure is good. But my next bread experience will be your Italian recipe.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Cis' Crusty Country French Baguettes by Gourmet_Mom (Maryann, I don't kno...)
Daph, do try one time without the sugar, you may be surprised at how tasty the dough will be
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Cis' Crusty Country French Baguettes by farnfam (Daph, do try one tim...)
I have to agree with Cis about the sugar. I don't usually put sugar in my bread dough unless it's suppose to be a sweet dough.

Daphne, I know what you mean about the cornmeal, because I was sure to use it since it was just a little different from my other bread recipes. I'm thinking that maybe I'm just finally getting "the feel" for making bread and maybe getting a little better at it with each attempt. I hope...
Maryann

Re: Re: Cis' Crusty Country French Baguettes by farnfam (Daph, do try one tim...)
Those are gorgeous! I'm really looking forward to baking in my new kitchen, and the bread photos recently have really been inspiring!

OT kitchen update: The GC has a few issues with the granite in one place (and I'm so thankful that they're the ones fighting for me, 'cuz I don't like it either!) so they won't be totally done on time, but the tile backsplash went in today, appliances will be delivered on Friday, and they're going to finish the trim work and put the final finish on the floors in the next few days. I've been taking photos, and will do my best to put together a slide show for anyone willing to look at it.

My study should be available for me to tutor on Monday, when classes start again. I can't wait to move back in!
  Re: Re: Cis' Crusty Country French Baguettes by karyn (Those are gorgeous! ...)
Will do Cis! That is probably it, Maryann. I'm getting better with each loaf...unless I misread the recipe. Done that a few times...LOL!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Cis' Crusty Country French Baguettes by Gourmet_Mom (Will do Cis! That i...)
Daphne, isn't it wonderful though, that no matter how the bread turns out, it's still miles ahead of anything from the store? At least that's my humble opinion.
Maryann

Re: Re: Cis' Crusty Country French Baguettes by Mare749 (Daphne, isn't it won...)
Just one note on the sugar in a bread recipe - don't think it's there so much for sweetness as it is for browning. I may be completely off base, but don't think so.

Cis, the bread is so good. And, Maryann, you have become the Bread Master around here, you'll ace it this time.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cis' Crusty Country French Baguettes by cjs (Just one note on the...)
Sounds like an experiment.
Daphne