What's for Dinner, Monday, 4/11/11??
  Re: (...)
What's on everyone's menu for tonight?

Leftovers here - one meal will be Crispy omelet with oysters and bean sprouts (Hoi Tote, from Quick & Easy Thai book) Then, I'll be oystered out, I think.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: What's for Dinner, Monday, 4/11/11?? by cjs (What's on everyone's...)
I am off today so I think I'll play in the "galley". I have a venison tenderloin in the freezer - thinking a rub with vanilla paste, cocoa, and coffee. Grilled or pan roasted - not sure yet. Topped with a dark chocolate balsamic drizzle.

Those potatoes you posted sound good.

Then - if all goes well a German Chocolate Pie.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Monday, 4/11/11?? by Harborwitch (I am off today so I ...)
I'm finally making the Clams Lingiune, but dinner will be late. I've got a late meeting and had to make a cake this afternoon, otherwise, I would have made dinner and eaten early. Oh well, that's what I get for being a good person. (One of the committee members is having a birthday today.)
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Monday, 4/11/11?? by Gourmet_Mom (I'm finally making t...)
Well, we were going to be at the disaster house tonight, but it's just too dusty and I can't start to put the kitchen back together because there is still some finish work to be done. Fortunately, everything except the final cleaning should be done in the next few days. Final cleaning is next Tuesday, and I can't wait.

We're back at the lake (I know, poor us...) and eating out of the fridge, freezer, and herb garden. Dinner is grilled/smoked tri-tip with chimichurri sauce, green beans, and brown rice pilaf.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Monday, 4/11/11?? by karyn (Well, we were going ...)
You sure are "roughin' it" there Karyn...LOL! That meal's a good night ANY night in my regular kitchen.
Daphne
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Monday, 4/11/11?? by Gourmet_Mom (You sure are "roughi...)
Quote:

You sure are "roughin' it" there Karyn...LOL! That meal's a good night ANY night in my regular kitchen.

Doncha know it! Wow that sounds good Karyn.

I got blind sided today. I thought the cocoa powder was in the "basement". Alas it was in the trailer which is way far away from us. Bob and I took a ride down to it on the golf cart so venison and chocolate pie tomorrow.

Tonight's going to be a "farm" dinner; fried potatoes with kielbasa and sauerkraut. I'm not sure what else, but it sounds good.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Monday, 4/11/11?? by Harborwitch ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
My plans changed, also. After making a birthday cake for a committee member, I decided to make dinner after the meeting. (I can whip this one out in the time it takes to make the pasta.) BUT the meeting ran an hour long. Third stop at the store today to pick up bread and chips for ham sammies at 9:30...OIY!
Daphne
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Monday, 4/11/11?? by Gourmet_Mom (My plans changed, al...)
Finally found a "plain," "typical" chicken curry recipe that isn't super hot and doesn't use store-bought curry powder (but has you make your own). This was PHENOMENAL and is definitely going to be the recipe I'll use from now on. The curry powder recipe makes WAY more than you need for the chicken recipe, so I only made 1/8 of the amount shown (and still had a lot).

Curry Powder

Ingredients:
  • 40 g Coriander seeds
  • 20 g Cumin seeds
  • 12 g Fenugreek seeds
  • 12 g Brown mustard seeds (They call them "brown," others call them "black," but they're the same.)
  • 15 g Fennel seeds
  • 12 g Cloves
  • 12 g Cardamon seeds
  • 12 g Cinnamon sticks
  • 12 g Black peppercorns
Instructions:
  1. Heat a large heavy base pan over medium heat.
  2. Add all the spices and stir constantly until a rich aroma is given off.
  3. Remove the pan from the heat and allow spices to cool.
  4. Grind spices in a coffee grinder and store in an air tight container.
Chicken Curry

Ingredients:
  • 3 Tbsp. Oil
  • 2 Inch Cinnamon stick, broken into pieces
  • 6 Cloves
  • 1/4 Tsp. Mustard seeds
  • 1/4 Tsp. Cumin seeds
  • 4 Curry leaves (If you can't get these, either skip them or use bay leaves. I skipped them.)
  • 1 Medium onion, finely chopped
  • 2 1/4 Lb. chicken, diced
  • 4 Green chillies, seeded and chopped (Couldn't get these, so I used 2 large green bell peppers.)
  • 1 Tsp. Turmeric
  • 2 Tsp. Curry powder from the previous recipe
  • 1 1/4 Cup Chicken stock, or water
  • 3 Cloves Garlic, crushed
  • 2 Tsp. Ginger, grated
  • 1 Tbsp. Cilantro, chopped
  • Salt
Instructions:
  1. Heat the oil over medium heat.
  2. Add cinnamon, cloves, mustard, cumin and curry leaves.
  3. Fry until the seeds start to 'pop'.
  4. Add the onions and fry until lightly browned.
  5. Add the chicken and fry until golden.
  6. Stir in the chillies, turmeric and curry powder.
  7. Add the stock (or water) and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook for 15 mins.
  8. Add the garlic and ginger, cover and cook until tender.
  9. Add salt to taste.
  10. Garnish with the cilantro.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Monday, 4/11/11?? by labradors (Finally found a "pla...)
Sounds good, Labs - copied.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com