Tartiflette
  Re: (...)
Lorraine's sister & b-i-l are on the road again - Spain this time and I get to read her travelogues, they are so interesting. She mentioned this dish being offered a couple places where they were and I had to google to see just what is was - best sounding scalloped 'tatoes I've ever seen. YUM!

Tartiflette :
1.2 kg potatoes (2 1/2 lbs.)
200 g diced bacon (7 oz.)
1 onion
1 reblochon cheese
2 tablespoons crème fraiche
1 bottle Apremont (Savoy white wine)

Technical stages for Tartiflette :
1 Prepare all the ingredients.

2 Peel the potatoes. Boil the potatoes.

3 When boiling, check is cooked by pocking with a knife. When the potatoes will be cooked, the blade should cut easily into the flesh.

4 When finished, drain and leave to cool (do not refresh!!!).

5 Mince the onion...

6 ...and sweat in a bit of oil.

7 Add the smoked bacon..

8 ...and sweat for a few more minutes.

9 Butter a gratin dish.

10 Cut half the potatoes in thick slices and cover the bottom of the dish with it.

11 Add half the onion and bacon.

12 Add the remaining sliced potatoes and the remmaining onion and bacon. Spread the cream on top.

13 Halve lengthwise the Reblochon and put on the potatoes (optional: add a glass of dry white wine).

14 Bake in a really warm oven (220-250°C or 428-482°F)...

15 Until the cheese melts and browns on the surface. Enjoy while it is warm!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Tartiflette by cjs (Lorraine's sister & ...)
Oh my! Sounds like Easter dinner side to me. Thanks for sharing that!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Tartiflette by Harborwitch (Oh my! Sounds like ...)
it does sound good!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Tartiflette by cjs (it does sound good!!...)
That sounds delicious, but what's not to like....potatoes, bacon, cream, onion, and cheese??? I don't ever think I've had a dish with those ingredients I didn't love!

Is it usually served as a side, or as an appetizer or main course with a salad? I'm trying to decide how to incorporate it into our dining soon!
  Re: Re: Tartiflette by karyn (That sounds deliciou...)
I would say a side, but with a wonderful runny yolk egg on top, why not for brunch????? made myself hungry.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Tartiflette by cjs (I would say a side, ...)
That does sound yummy! I don't know about the cheese, though. I'd probably have to order it or find a substitute.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Tartiflette by Gourmet_Mom (That does sound yumm...)
Daphne, a young gruyere or a muenster would be good.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Tartiflette by cjs (Daphne, a young gruy...)
Thanks, Jean....those I can find. I think with a plain grilled steak and simple salad will be my first dinner with this one.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.