Finally Heard from Roxanne!!!
  Re: (...)
I've been sending emails, facebook msgs. and smoke signals to try to find out about Roxanne and Peter - finally got a response today. Here's our Roxanne checking in and I wish there was something we could do to help.

---
Subject: Re: Trying to Contact Peter & Roxanne Goldman

Date: Wed 04/13/11 12:29 PM

Hi Jean,

Thank you so very much for your concern. We are okay-----the major upheavals are in the townships---a bit away from us but too close for comfort. There is a great deal of unrest here....obviously you are seeing that...the unemployed numbers are massive and they are beginning to target the more "haves" because they have nothing---including nothing to put on the table each day for the family. As in the US, it is very difficult to find a job. Most of the seekers are illiterate and can only engage in manual labor. Employers are not hiring because of the labor laws...one cannot be fired once hired due to massive legal implications. If a person is 'retrenched' (retired or left employment for whatever reason), the employer is no longer hiring to replace. The economic situation here is becoming quite desperate and many are resorting to theft and burglaries...including murdering for a cell phone or a five rand note............PRETTY SCARY!!!!!!!

Gas is now over 6.00 per gallon====and rising......electricity and water is going through the roof and we are going to have a 30% increase in our "tariffs" in June---YIKES!!! The cost of living here is becoming overly burdensome.......but I think it is not too much better where you are.

We are pretty isolated in our home but come and go with a great deal of caution. We do have to be 'on guard' constantly.

I have been delinquent with respect to engaging with the forum and my deepest apologies for that. I really miss my "family" in many ways.

Peter has been quite ill and he is basically taking up 100% of my time. TOO MANY ISSUES there but I do what I must because he has been my life for so many years and that is just what we do!!!!

Please forward all of my love to everyone---old and new---and one of these days I hope I will be able to join in the conversations again...........I'm really missing the interactions!!!!

Thanks again for your thoughtful note!!!

Love and HUGS to all!!!

Roxanne

-------
Maybe she'll check in now that she know we are all so concerned. Denise, breath easier (a little, anyway!) now.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Finally Heard from Roxanne!!! by cjs (I've been sending em...)
Thank God she finally checked in! I feel a lot better just hearing from her and learning that they are okay for now. But that's some really scary stuff. It makes me worry about our future here.

Roxanne, I hope you continue to stay safe and prayers for Peter and improved living conditions.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
Shall keep all this in prayer.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Finally Heard from Roxanne!!! by labradors (Shall keep all this ...)
Oh I am so glad to hear from her!! Thank you Jean for being so tenacious.

I so wish she was closer to home here and hope that she has friends she can lean on there to help her with Peter.
Thank you for your persistence Jean. I've been watching what's going on over there and it's scary. I'll keep both of them in my prayers.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Finally Heard from Roxanne!!! by Harborwitch (Thank you for your p...)
What a huge relief to hear from her. I am glad you have alternate ways to contact her. Sounds frightening where she is on all issues. Wow. So happy she is okay though.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Finally Heard from Roxanne!!! by luvnit (What a huge relief t...)
That sounds very scary! Where do they live?
  Re: Re: Finally Heard from Roxanne!!! by Trixxee (That sounds very sca...)
So. Africa
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Finally Heard from Roxanne!!! by cjs (So. Africa...)
I wonder if Peter is too sick to travel? I think it's time for them to come home. Wern't they planning to come home soon anyway? I really am worried about them.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Finally Heard from Roxanne!!! by Old Bay (I wonder if Peter is...)
Bill, I totally agree.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.