Cheesemonger is going to Marry Derek
  Re: (...)
Derek called for permission a few minutes ago. We are very happy for them--it is a 4 year relationship and both are managers for HEB (a major grocery chain and owner of Central Market) and foodies and winos!! Jane asked Derek if he liked Allison (remember "Shenandoah") he said yes and that he loved her. Jane told him liking was more important--he agreed! You can survive problems more easily if you like each other too. I think they are ready (she is 30)and we are happy!! I treasure this for all of us--we have been together long enough, but we are not too old, for a daughter of our thread, still young, to marry!!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Cheesemonger is going to Marry Derek by Old Bay (Derek called for per...)
Well isn't that wonderful! A wedding! Congratulations everyone!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Cheesemonger is going to Marry Derek by luvnit (Well isn't that wond...)
Oh man, I'm so excited for the whole family!! And what a great couple. so anxious to hear more on the plans as they develop.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Cheesemonger is going to Marry Derek by Old Bay (Derek called for per...)
That is wonderful news Bill & Jane! It sounds like they are perfect for each other - any date yet???
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Cheesemonger is going to Marry Derek by Harborwitch (That is wonderful ne...)
WOOO HOOO! Congratulations, Derek and Allison! I can't wait to hear all of the details of the wedding!

(Jane and Bill, too!) I think it is sooo special that he called and asked for your consent....so sweet and traditional. I guess he knows you well after four years. I love the part about asking him if he liked her.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Cheesemonger is going to Marry Derek by Gourmet_Mom (WOOO HOOO! Congratu...)
Oh that is just FANTASTIC news!!! And he spells his name the same as my Derek, so now I know he's got class.

Any dates planned yet? Oh I can just see the dinner parties now.

Allison - Congratulations to you and to Derek. Here I am celebrating my 25th anniversary and you are beginning your wonderful life together. May you laugh every day you are together!! It is the secret of a great marriage.
  Re: Re: Cheesemonger is going to Marry Derek by DFen911 (Oh that is just FANT...)
Thanks, all!!! We are just blissful. Denise, I kept referring to my guy as D so that people wouldn't be confused by both of us talking about our Dereks haha. This *just* happened (though he has apparently been planning for a while) so no dates set yet.

I told Mom (Jane), "I'm going to need your help with this!" How lucky am I to have a mother who is my friend and the perfect planner for any event?! I think we are going to have a lot of fun.

And regarding "liking." Derek tells me on a regular basis he loves me. But almost *just* as often he tells me he likes me. And I like him I think we're gonna be just fine

If we're are half as happy as my parents, we're set.
Allison aka Younger Bay
"The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude." - Julia Child
  Re: Re: Cheesemonger is going to Marry Derek by cheesemonger (Thanks, all!!! We ar...)
"I told Mom (Jane), "I'm going to need your help with this!" How lucky am I to have a mother who is my friend and the perfect planner for any event?! I think we are going to have a lot of fun."

You've definitely got the perfect Mom for the prefect wedding. I can't wait for all the details!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Cheesemonger is going to Marry Derek by Gourmet_Mom ("I told Mom (Jane), ...)
Well, cool! Congratulations!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Cheesemonger is going to Marry Derek by labradors (Well, cool! Congrat...)
Fantastic!!! Congratulations!

Steve and I were just talking about something similar yeasterday. He said something and I thought he said "I like you" (He said "I love you"). I said "I like you too". He was a little put off - he said but "I said I love you and I said I Like You." I said it is something more to say "I like you"!

Sorry so convoluted. But it really made sence at the time. Liking someone on top of loving them is a bonus.

You two will go far! Congratulations again!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.