AWOL
  Re: (...)
Ok so not posting on my facebook because I may have a creeper. But I won't be on much the next 2 weeks. We're off to Hawaii on Monday morning!

I have Derek convinced to at least try sushi for the first time. I'm starting him with seared tuna or Ono

You all be good while I'm gone...no drinking milk out of the carton! Aloha!
  Re: AWOL by DFen911 (Ok so not posting on...)
Have a great time, Denise & Derek - and if you can do it, here are some things to try-

In Hawaii, it's known as 'waler' or sable fish - black cod, escolar, butter fish - whatever it's called it is so good!!!

some dishes featuring spam! yes.
Huli Huli chicken
shoyu Pork - yum
Kalua Pork sandwich - so good
a Filopino dish Peas and pork - good often served with rice and potato and macaroni salad - yes, they do.
Edamane's - great appie
Lobster guacamole with Molokai sweet potato and breadfruit crisps
Deluxe Spam Musubi - wonderful

Two words you need to remember -
Ono means great!
Mahalo means thanks

I'm so envious - ready to go back, can you tell???
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: AWOL by cjs (Have a great time, ...)
Oh, I am so envious! I hope you guys have a GREAT time! I can't wait to hear all about it! And I expect a LONG photo slide show soon after you get home!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: AWOL by Gourmet_Mom (Oh, I am so envious!...)
Have fun! I asked in another thread which island(s) you are visiting. I may have some foodie suggestions as I've made about 20 trips now, mostly to Maui and the Big Island.
  Re: Re: AWOL by Trixxee (Have fun! I asked i...)
Have a wonderful and safe trip, Denise and Derek! Can't wait to see your pics when you get back. Enjoy the sushi. Tell Derek if I can get Ron to try it, he can do it too!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
Quote:

I have Derek convinced to at least try sushi for the first time. I'm starting him with seared tuna or Ono

If you can get him to try it, get the eel. I'm not a big fan of sushi, but when I tried the eel, I was amazed. Simply delicious.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: AWOL by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
You've mentioned that before, Labs. And even with Bill's experimentation with it in SA, I still can't wrap my brain around it enough to try it. I can get it...William has even tried it, but I can't seem to bring myself to try it.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
Have a great trip you two - you sooooooooo deserve it!

Our first introduction to sushi was sashimi - tuna and salmon!!! OMG! Bob says you can tell Derek that he should try it. Of course once you go raw - you'll never go back!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: AWOL by Harborwitch (Have a great trip yo...)
I have decided to take my computer so hopefully we'll have connection some where so I can check in.

Thank you all so much for your well wishes I have no idea what to expect and yet not expecting anything. I guess that makes everything that comes along a treat.

See you all soon!!
  Re: Re: AWOL by DFen911 (I have decided to ta...)
Have a wonderful vacation, Denise! Hawaii is so fabulous. I second Jean's suggestion you try sable fish. It's my absolute favorite fish ever!