Fish Tacos
  Re: (...)
We had these for a snack last night - more than we really needed, but I have not tasted a better combination of flavors in a fish taco before. These are delicious

The fish cakes I used were two Halibut Fish Cakes from the Black Beans & Corn book (but, any fish cake would work) that I had in the freezer. I love making a double batch and freezing them. Anyway, here is the concoction I came up with.

Fish Tacos

These fish cakes are from the Black Beans & Corn book(Halibut Fish Cakes) – I make a double batch and freeze them. You only need two patties for 4 tacos.

Chipotle Cream

Note: I use the 1/2 tsp. Chipotle, which makes it hot, but it is tempered by the coolness of the other ingredients – perfect amount for us.

1/4 cup sour cream
1 tsp. lime juice
1/2 tsp. minced canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
Kosher salt & Pepper to taste

Whisk together the sour cream juice and chipotle; season with salt and pepper to taste.
-----------

Cis’s Grapefruit Vinaigrette (to use as a salsa)

Note: I make half Cis’s vinaigrette (below is half the original recipe)

1/4 cup grapefruit juice
1 1/2 tsp. sugar
1/2 T. Rice wine vinegar
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
Salt and black pepper to taste

Whisk together the grapefruit juice, sugar and vinegar; slowly drizzle and whisk the olive oil in until combined. Makes about 3/4 cup.

For the salsa:
2/3 cup salad greens, shredded
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
1/2 cup corn kernels, drained and rinsed

Mix the salsa ingredients and moisten with the vinaigrette.
-----
For two servings, I thawed 2 patties and made 4 tacos from them.

1 T. olive oil
1 T. lime juice
Kosher salt and black pepper

Whisk the oil and lime juice together and season to taste. Brush this mixture on both sides of the fish cakes and put on a small baking sheet. Heat in a 350° oven for 10 to 12 minutes. While they are heating, make the cream sauce and the vinaigrette.

Assemble the tacos –

Fry 4 corn tortillas until crisp tender, keep each one in a warm oven while cooking the others. I put a wad of foil and folded the tortillas over to hold the shape.
Spoon 2 to 3 T. of the chipotle cream inside the taco followed by 1/2 a fish cake per taco; top with the salsa.

---
These were so good.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Fish Tacos by cjs (We had these for a s...)
What a refreshing idea for spring, Jean! The salsa and cream ideas are really genius! I'm copying the whole thing for future use. Near future, I hope! Thanks!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Fish Tacos by Gourmet_Mom (What a refreshing id...)
I'm saving this one. I've been wanting to make a different kind of fish taco. Love the grapefruit.
Allison aka Younger Bay
"The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude." - Julia Child
  Re: Re: Fish Tacos by cheesemonger (I'm saving this one....)
Love the sound of this one, Jean! Thanks for sharing it!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Fish Tacos by Mare749 (Love the sound of th...)
you're welcome - I'm ready to have them again!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com