What's for Dinner, Monday 4/18??
  Re: (...)
What's on everyone's menu for tonight?

Whoooeeee, Roy brought home a beautiful 8 3/4 lb. prime rib ($5.99/lb!!! ), so I'm roasting that little hummer today. I haven't had that much beef in the house for years. I have visions of hash, French dips, stroganoff, Philly cheese steak sandwiches........
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: What's for Dinner, Monday 4/18?? by cjs (What's on everyone's...)
I want to make the Tandori Shrimp Skewers with Pineapple Chutney, but that would require a trip to town for the shrimp. So I'll have to choose between the Teriyaki Chicken Breasts with Stir-fry Vegetables and the Sirloin Steak Stir-Fry. When I planned meals this week, I must have been craving Asian...LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: What's for Dinner, Monday 4/18?? by cjs (What's on everyone's...)
Oh man I love doing prime rib, you are going to have a great time Jean! Roy will be one happy guy for days! Don't know what it is about men and beef.

Tonight we are having Pierogi with carmelized onions and sour cream.

I just made a quiche this morning. Ham and asparagus with cheddar and tomato.

This week I am going to make Spaghetti Pie and a Coke-brined chicken. On the weekend I am planning Gyros on the grill with Coconut Cream Pie for dessert. The Gyros are from the April 2008 issue.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Monday 4/18?? by luvnit (Oh man I love doing ...)
Tonight is pizza. The pizza dough has been relaxing in the fridge for a couple days. Truffle & mushroom pizza and I'm not sure what else. If I can get to town there might be a salad. I saw an idea for a potato pizza using multi-colored fingerlings . . . hmmm, maybe some bacon.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Monday 4/18?? by Harborwitch (Tonight is pizza. T...)
Still doing damage control. Ron will be having a chef salad, and I will be having "Magical Leek Soup" from "French Women Don't Get Fat."
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Monday 4/18?? by Mare749 (Still doing damage c...)
Another day that everything sounds so good!!!

I just prepped the prime rib - I was going to do Julia Child's recipe, but decided to do what I haven't done since I worked at the hotel - I made 7 or 8 prime ribs at a time in those days - here it is ready to go in. getting antsy here.

[Image: PrimeRib2.jpg]

[Image: PrimeRib1.jpg]
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Monday 4/18?? by cjs (Another day that eve...)
Is that slices of ham? Or what is that?

I can see salt, pepper, rosemary, onions, what else?
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Monday 4/18?? by luvnit (Is that slices of ha...)
I'm with Laura, I'd love to hear what you're doing to the prime rib! It looks like a great piece of meat. Enjoy!

We're having grilled flank steak with a mustard-dill sauce and grilled asparagus. They're supposed to get all of the finish work done by tonight. I hope so!! Then I can post pictures!
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Monday 4/18?? by karyn (I'm with Laura, I'd ...)
I cut the "fatback" (the thin layer of fat along the back) (normally referred to with pork, but really it's the same thing) off and lay aside. Salt and pepper the meat, a layer of sliced onions, some rosemary sprigs, then lay the fatback over the top - sometimes you have to secure it with a pick, which I had to do with 2 pieces. The fat melts down thru all....and the house will smell so good.

wonderful flaovr!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Monday 4/18?? by cjs (I cut the "fatback" ...)
Well, our first smoking experience was a bust. The pork butt never finished cooking. I'm going to throw it in the oven at a low temp for a while and see what happens. We'll also have coleslaw and sweet potato fries.

Or cereal, depending on how this works out. LOL.