checkin' in :)
  Re: (...)
A thanks to Laura who sent me a "where are you?" message-- I really hadn't thought it had been so long but, well, I went back to mid-March and didn't see any posts by me! Thanks for the "nudge", Laura.

Then I came here and saw a thread with my name on it, and hoped that I wasn't in trouble...

Theresa was correct in that I took on a restoration project that I had been postponing for 10 years and it has turned into a monster with a life of its own. Really, if I get this done before I die it will be a miracle.

Fortunately the weather has been pretty crappy so I don't feel that I have to go outside and weed, mulch, etc. since you can't do that in the rain. And cold.

But other things are claiming my attention. MIL fell and was in the hospital for 2 weeks, then went back to NJ to live with her daughter for a couple of weeks to regain her strength before returning to her apartment. Last week, she had a mini-stroke and is now in a rehab center trying to regain her speech and swallowing ability. Chances are great that when she does return to this area, it will be to assisted living. So that means moving her, again.

We've also been meeting with contractors to have a small addition put on our house. We have decided that within a few years we will move and that having a second bathroom will make the house more salable. Also need the barn re-roofed, and new gutters on the main house. We called 7 contractors, 5 returned the call, and we have met with 4. No estimates yet, but we are being patient.

Other stuff too, but this has been long enough. I haven't been cooking "adventurously" very much, just quick go-to recipes because I'm so darn tired at the end of the day. And, also because I'm pooped, I hardly do much more than check my e-mail at the end of the day then try to stay awake for at least a couple of hours after dinner. I do lurk here a bit, but it's difficult to form coherent sentences.

Why am I doing so well tonight? Well DH returned from 5 days in NJ yesterday and insisted that I take it easy today and go on some errands with him (checking out MIL's possible new digs, etc.). I was happy to since I had missed him so much and was so happy to have him back! And tonight I'm hardly tired at all and it's 9:30pm! Wahoo!!

And tomorrow is going to be an easy one, too. Maybe I'll post tomorrow evening and let you all know how my day went (a special day-- and we're going to dinner at a wonderful Middle Eastern restaurant).

Thanks to all who were wondering where I went to. I miss our "conversations" and hope that I will soon be back in the fold...
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: checkin' in :) by foodfiend (A thanks to Laura wh...)
Vicci, I guess when it rains it pours...in more ways than one. You have had so much to deal with this past year and a half. I am soooo hoping I can have a few years between liberating children and dealing with Mom. My luck...I'm not counting on it.

I AM glad you checked in to let us know how things are going....good and bad. I hope MIL will be able to adjust to her new digs and that she will accept her new limitations. That's a biggie...I know from experience. Good luck!

And good luck with the remodel and bathroom addition. It sounds like you have your hands full. We contemplated doing our own remodel, but the more we uncovered, the more we realized that this old house had more surprises than we could handle. We got smart and hired a trusted contractor. Even then, it was a nightmare from hell for a while.

Check in when you can. And don't hide for so long. We worry. (And yes, I am guilty of the same before.) Even if it's just once a week to say hi. (I'll try to remember this when I hit testing weeks in mid-May and closing out school in early June...LOL!)
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
Vicci it's good to hear from you and know that you're okay.

I'm so sorry about your MIL - that's such a tough row to hoe.

Have a great day tomorrow - hopefully all will go well and you can come back and let us know how it's going.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
Ahhhh, my smoke signals were recieved! Good. Glad to hear from you, so sorry things are so crazy for you now. With all that going on its no wonder we haven't heard from you dear. Take good care of yourself during these difficult days. We all know how hard that can be.

Still, happy to hear your 'voice'.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: checkin' in :) by luvnit (Ahhhh, my smoke sign...)
Just know you were missed, Vicci!! Good luck with the 'project from hell'!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: checkin' in :) by cjs (Just know you were m...)
What everyone else said....we've missed you, Vicci! Nice to hear from you again.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: checkin' in :) by Mare749 (What everyone else s...)
I'm glad you checked in Vicci! Take care of yourself, and be sure to come back more often as things calm down.