A fabulous pasta dish
  Re: (...)
My daughter, Holly, made this dish for us a few weeks ago. OMG! It's one of the tastiest pasta dishes I have had in a while, but it is so high in calories that I will probably cut back a good bit on the oil and some of the cheese when I make it. Also, the recipe says that it serves 4 to 6 people, but 6 of us got two meals out of it, so it makes a lot! The eggplant and all that cheese makes it hearty enough that Ron didn't even miss the meat. Enjoy!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Antonia’s Pasta Alle Melenzana (Eggplant Pasta)

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------

Olive oil
2 tablespoons butter
1 large Vidalia onion, chopped
3 large eggplants, chopped (5 cups)
3 whole garlic cloves, peeled
Leaves from 10 to 12 sprigs of fresh basil
Kosher salt
10 to 15 plum tomatoes
Freshly ground black pepper
Pinch of sugar
1½ pounds dry fettucine
1.1 pounds fresh mozzarella, cut into ½” cubes
½ pound packaged mozzarella, cut into ½” cubes
½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Heat ½ cup of oil and the butter in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the onion and eggplant and cook gently over medium heat for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring often, until tender. It may be necessary to add more oil as the eggplant soaks the oil up quickly. Towards the end of cooking time, add the whole garlic cloves and half of the basil leaves.

In the meantime, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and blanch the tomatoes for 4 to 5 minutes until the skin splits and the tomatoes are softened. Remove the tomatoes with a slotted spoon and place them in a mesh colander set over a large bowl. Reserve the cooking liquid.

When they are cool enough to handle, core the tomatoes and peel off the skin. Using clean hands, squish the tomatoes, pushing the pulp through the sieve into the bowl underneath. At first you will have a watery liquid. Add the tomato liquid to the eggplant and then continue to push the tomato pulp through the sieve, until you have only seeds and hard pulp pieces left. Finally, add the rest of the pulpy liquid to the eggplants and season with salt and pepper to taste. Add the sugar and continue to cook for 10 more minutes, until thickened.

In the meantime, bring the reserved cooking liquid back to a boil, add additional salt, and cook the fettucine according to directions on the package. Drain well.

To serve, spoon a third of the eggplant into a bowl and set aside. Toss the pasta in the sauté pan with the remaining eggplant and add the packaged mozzarella. Place the mixture in a large serving bowl and top with the reserved eggplant, the fresh mozzarella and the Parmesan. Garnish with the remaining basil leaves and serve hot.

Copyright:
"Copyright 2011, Antonia Bellanca, All Rights Reserved"
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: A fabulous pasta dish by Mare749 (My daughter, Holly, ...)
Oh my, this is copied, but I'm with you it's going to take a little work over for me to make it. Thanks Maryann.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: A fabulous pasta dish by cjs (Oh my, this is copie...)
This sounds super yummy! Copied and saved. But I will be interested in how this comes out with a reduction of the cheese. William would forgive the eggplant with all that cheese, however...LOL! Eggplant is not his favorite.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.