Mojito Scallops w/Mango Salsa-Karyn's B'day Review
  Re: (...)
KARYN!!! Thank you so much for finding this dish for us to try for your birthday dinner. My goodness, did we ever love all the flavors of this. I must admit I was a little hesitant to use this amount of mint, since I'm just now developing a liking for mint, but it was perfect!

[Image: MojitoScallops.jpg]

Again, as we need to with every dish we put together, to get a forkful of all three flavors, the scallops (in our case Red Snapper medallions), the mashed Swt. Potato and the salsa made such a,…….. darn, I just don’t have the vocabulary for this. It was wonderful. I cut the fish in 2” rounds to mimic scallops and grilled them. Thanks Karyan for a delightful dinner – a 9 3/4 dinner.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Mojito Scallops w/Mango Salsa-Karyn's B'day Review by cjs (KARYN!!! Thank you s...)
I'm glad you enjoyed it! I actually made it several weeks ago, and we liked it as well. I thought the salsa and sweet potatoes worked really well together. My only disappointment was the scallops. I didn't think the marinade came through very well, and I guess I didn't dry them well enough, because I didn't get much of a crust, which I really enjoy. Overall, though, it was a keeper for us as well.

The tart was wonderful, by the way. I made a single, 10-inch tart. The crust with pretzels did that sweet/salty thing I love, and the white chocolate whipped cream was delicious with the lime curd. One side benefit of using white chocolate to sweeten the whipped cream is that it made an incredibly stable whipped cream. That's definitely a trick I'll remember!
  Re: Mojito Scallops w/Mango Salsa-Karyn's B'day Review by cjs (KARYN!!! Thank you s...)
Two changes, here: 1) róbalo, instead of scallops and 2) no cucumber in the salsa.

This was delicious and, in hindsight, probably would have been great as fish tacos.

9 out of 10.

Originally, I had decided not to make the dessert, but to make only the fish and the sweet potatoes, but the store was out of the kind of sweet potato that would have worked with this and I didn't think the more common (here) camotes would have been suitable.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Mojito Scallops w/Mango Salsa-Karyn's B'day Review by labradors (Two changes, here: 1...)
I made this last Friday and we really enjoyed it. I'm not so sure I would do the marinate on the scallops again though. It was hard to get them dry enough and like Karyn mentioned, that made it hard to get a nice crust on them, which we like. The salsa was a nice compliment, but I have to say that the sweet potatoes were magnificent! I never would have thought that a bit of rum, butter and mint would be that tasty with a vegetable, but it was.

Sorry I did not do the dessert, Karyn. It sounded way too good and I'm avoiding desserts.

We gave the dish a solid 8 and would make it again. Thanks for picking a great recipe, Karyn.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Mojito Scallops w/Mango Salsa-Karyn's B'day Review by Mare749 (I made this last Fri...)
I'm taking notes. I know...not fair! But I just couldn't work it in. I thought I'd be making this tomorrow night, but I've decided...just in case....that this will be Thursday's dinner. That's "Kim's Spicy Chicken for Me!!!!" day! (I get a text every Thursday to confirm this....LOL! Last week he was on Bald Head and was going to be late for lunch, so he called in his order so he wouldn't miss out...LOL!) This way I won't feel bad serving something that is not his favorite....scallops.

He has never had them seared, as they are supposed to be served, so I'm noting your comments. Hopefully, I can do them right. Any further suggestions would be appreciated.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Mojito Scallops w/Mango Salsa-Karyn's B'day Review by Gourmet_Mom (I'm taking notes. I...)
Shoot, another who didn't quite meet the deadline...

I went to get the smaller mangoes that Labs talked about on another thread (begins with an "a"...), but where there were several cases last week, the only ones remaining were soft and wrinkly. I went to the grocery next door, and their mangoes (the more common variety) were hard as rocks. Maybe next week... this sounds like an awesome dinner, and I can't wait to make it but DH is going out of town for several days and made me promise not to make it until he returns.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Mojito Scallops w/Mango Salsa-Karyn's B'day Review by foodfiend (Shoot, another who d...)
Well, I finally got around to making this...LOL! Talk about late! Dinner was late also. But after a huge lunch, we were not very hungry. Luckily, this is a very light dinner.

I accidentally used my cucumber for salads last week, but it was still good. I agree on the difficulty with the scallops. But then, I've never fixed scallops, so I thought I did pretty well. We LOVED the sweet potatoes and will probably do them that way again soon. I want to try the marinade with some fish. I just didn't think it was worth the expense of the scallops. Plus, I think it will work better on fish next time.

We've given this one a 9! Thanks Karyn!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Mojito Scallops w/Mango Salsa-Karyn's B'day Review by Gourmet_Mom (Well, I finally got ...)
I would make this again and I also would again use fish rather than scallops. It was a good one.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Mojito Scallops w/Mango Salsa-Karyn's B'day Review by cjs (I would make this ag...)
I tried something new last week with the scallops I made to try to get them as dry as can be to get that nice crust - lined a plate with several paper towels, placed the scallops on that, several more paper towels on top of the scallops, then another plate on top with a weight on it (a can of beans) then popped it all in the fridge. That really seemed to help get the extra moisture out.
  Re: Re: Mojito Scallops w/Mango Salsa-Karyn's B'day Review by Trixxee (I tried something ne...)
If we can find ethical butchers who will sell 'never frozen' scallops - all problems are solved, also! Hard for the midwest, tho.
www.achefsjourney.com