SousVide
  Re: (...)
I just saw that Costco Online is carrying one of those SousVide Water Oven systems. SousVide Water Oven

I see them on Iron Chef all the time. Has anyone ever used one? What is supposed to be so special about them?

Just Curious.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: SousVide by esgunn (I just saw that Cost...)
I'll have to go look at what's being offered, but to answer your question, Erin. SousVide is one of the softest methods for cooking.

Do you use a FoodSaver for heating foods? It's very similar - just gently heating without drying out or overcooking.

Oh Erin, you are in so much trouble!!!! Roy is going to hit you over the head! This is on my Christmas list (Mother's Day and my Birthday lists are already 'published')
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: SousVide by cjs (I'll have to go look...)
Erin you are really really really in trouble! I WANT that so much. We saw them in Costco, Bob just ignored my whining. Wait - Bob is in soooooo much trouble.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: SousVide by Harborwitch (Erin you are really ...)
Erin, I was looking for idea for you to see what's what and I ran across this site - great info.

http://www.cookingsousvide.com/info/sous-vide-recipes
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: SousVide by cjs (Erin, I was looking ...)
I shouldn't have looked. I'll have to stick with my FoodSaver and a pan of water for now. William would never understand the need for another vacuum system. Even if it DID come with a special oven for "cooking" in.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: SousVide by Gourmet_Mom (I shouldn't have loo...)
Cool! Just be sure not to use it around people who say that plastic bags and containers are toxic when heated.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: SousVide by labradors (Cool! Just be sure n...)
Please excuse me everyone, but I do not understand how Sous Vide works with food. Is it raw in the first place and then placed in boiling water? How does that brown and make it attractive? I mean, I could see that with seafood, but what about meats?

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: SousVide by BarbaraS (Please excuse me eve...)
Quote:

Unfortunately, sous-vide cooking is deficient in one key category: it doesn't brown your meat. The browning reactions that take place to give your meat those wonderful crusty, roasted aromas only take place to a significant degree at temperatures well above 300°F, a good 170°F hotter than normal sous-vide cooking temperatures, which means that you still need to pull out the sauté pan to finish.

The key is to sear the meat as quickly as possible, to prevent any possible overcooking. Have your skillet ready and ripping hot before the meat comes out of the water bath, dry the steak thoroughly before adding it to the pan (wet meat will cool the pan down faster than dry meat), and leave it in the pan only long enough to color.

(Source: Serious Eats)
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: SousVide by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
For those folks who want to try sous vide before spending the big bucks, try Kenji's simple hack. If you have a Foodsaver, seal your food in it with your aromatics (no butter if actually better). Fill a beer cooler with water a couple of degrees higher than the final temp in which you plan to cook your food. Put your food in the cooler with the heated water and close. Time and you have sous vide. If you don't have a beer cooler, you can try the same thing for a small piece of food in a food saver bag, and a large DO with a tight lid, filled with water brought up to a couple of degrees to the right temp, put in an time. Most Staub or LC DOs will maintain temp (hot or cold) for quite a while. Michael Voltaggio (from Top Chef) has a video on making applesauce sous vide in the microwave in 2 minutes.. You don't need the rolling boil, but you do need food safe bags. Food saver bags fit the bill, but I would not use cheap zip bags.
  Re: Re: SousVide by Cubangirl (For those folks who ...)
"You don't need the rolling boil," - just a reminder, even heating FoodSaver bags of food, never use a rolling boil. Always a gentle simmer.
www.achefsjourney.com