Wagyu Beef Anyone?
  Re: (...)
Has anyone had Wagyu Beef? At $50 per pound, is it worth the Strip Steak?

Curious minds want to know.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Wagyu Beef Anyone? by BarbaraS (Has anyone had Wagyu...)
You mean the beef used at certain parties?
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Wagyu Beef Anyone? by labradors (You mean the beef us...)
Barbara, I think it comes down to how much of a foodie are you? I would do this in a minute - at least once, well, maybe twice.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Wagyu Beef Anyone? by cjs (Barbara, I think it ...)
Yep, I have the opportunity to do this - strip steaks, looks kinda thin and I would do this on the stove grill plate, so I'm wondering...?

Seriously, is this worth the money as I see some restaurants in Philly and one in my area doing Kobe/Wagyu beef.

I hate being ripped off by a restaurant.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Wagyu Beef Anyone? by BarbaraS (Yep, I have the oppo...)
I tried a Wagyu strip steak once at a steakhouse here in Atlanta. It's on their regular menu, and they do all of their steaks just about perfectly. It was certainly expensive and I didn't really enjoy the mouth feel. It felt too fatty to me, but other people at the table though it was the best steak they'd ever had. I'm glad I tried it, but I don't know that I'd do it again.

As far as feeling ripped off, I didn't, but it was a special occasion and was something I'd really wanted to try, so I decided to just go for it. I don't regret spending the money, because it really answered the questions I had about Wagyu.
  Re: Re: Wagyu Beef Anyone? by karyn (I tried a Wagyu stri...)
Thanks, Karyn. I think you answered that question quite well and satisfied my own curiousity. I'm thinking that I might not be that wild about it myself, for the same reasons that you mentioned.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Wagyu Beef Anyone? by Mare749 (Thanks, Karyn. I thi...)
I tried Wagyu beef in a stir fry a while ago. There was so little beef in the dish that I can't really say if it was worth the difference. Not in a hurry to pay the big bucks for it again, though.
  Re: Re: Wagyu Beef Anyone? by HomeCulinarian (I tried Wagyu beef i...)
I'd love to try it once. I'm curious about the mouth feel comment, but I'd try it twice, also. Once to get over I had it, and once to really detect the textures and flavors. I'm still holding out to try it.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Wagyu Beef Anyone? by BarbaraS (Has anyone had Wagyu...)
Waaah, no Wagyu today at Weggies. Sold out and not coming in until Sunday. Being that we have to visit both Moms, Sunday is out.

I'm thinking about scoring two steaks Monday and Food-Savoring them.

I ended up buying two Angus Strips, and Weggies threw in two Brown Demi Glace sauce tubbies (about 2 oz) for free to heat up for the steaks. Nice Touch! Got another artichoke for fun, too!

Barbara
  Re: Re: Wagyu Beef Anyone? by BarbaraS (Waaah, no Wagyu toda...)
I love those little demi-glace tubs. They do wonders for a last-minute pan sauce. Enjoy your steaks, Barbara!