US CIty Cuisine
  Re: (...)
Hello guys, would you happen to know what dishes belong to various US city cuisines, I mean what food for example can be considered as Chicago, San Francisco or NYC meals. Thanks.
  Re: US CIty Cuisine by Nickcooks (Hello guys, would yo...)
I think you will get a better idea of regional foods for various cities if you google "regional foods for San Francisco (Chicago, New York, etc.)"
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: US CIty Cuisine by cjs (I think you will get...)
I know what I think of -

Chicago - Deep Dish Pizza
San Fran - Seafood and asian.
New York - Hot dogs...oh my but they really are the best there.
Calif - Healthy or vegetarian
South - BBQ
  Re: Re: US CIty Cuisine by DFen911 (I know what I think ...)
New York - to me - Pizza, bagels, delis.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: US CIty Cuisine by cjs (New York - to me - P...)
Adding to what has already been mentioned...

Massachusetts: Clambake
Maine: Lobster rolls
Philadelphia: Hoagies, Cheesesteak, Soft pretzels with mustard, Scrapple
New York: Cheesecake
Buffalo: Hot wings, Beef-on weck sandwich
Pittsburgh: Pierogi
San Francisco or Alaska: Sourdough
Chicago: Hot dogs
Lancaster, PA: Faschnachts, Long-John doughnuts

As far as searching is concerned, this would be a better task for About.com, rather than Google, or Yahoo (and especially NOT Bing), since About.com already has this type of thing well categorised. Even so, if you DO search through Google, or the like, the better results will probably point to About.com, anyway.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: US CIty Cuisine by labradors (Adding to what has a...)
So here's a good question. We all live in different regions. So...

A - What do you think your area is known for?

B - And do you cook that style mainly or do you cook more for another region?
  Re: Re: US CIty Cuisine by DFen911 (So here's a good que...)
Now that's an interesting question. Cleveland is a melting pot of many different nationalities and neighborhoods. I don't think we are known for any specific cuisine. There seem to be restaurants from every culture around the globe. We also have an Amish population in southern Ohio, however, and they have some pretty wonderful restaurants with good, down-home cooking.

The only thing that I can think of for my area is that most people tend to cook a lot like their mothers did.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: US CIty Cuisine by Mare749 (Now that's an intere...)
The vastness of the food offerings in the Pacific Northwest is such that I'm offering a description from http://www.lifeintheusa.com/food/pacificnorthwest.htm

I think it's unbelievable the diversity we have up here - food wise, my favorite place of all to ever live.

Pacific Northwest Cuisine
The best chefs in the Pacific Northwest region of the United States—principally the states of Washington and Oregon (though the northern panhandle of Idaho may also qualify)—stress the use of fresh local ingredients. Vegetables, fruits, and berries from the region’s vast agricultural areas, its great wealth of distinctive seafood, and its vital wines, all play a part in the cuisine. The region is also an active part of the food culture of the Pacific Rim and looks to Asia for many culinary influences.

Salmon is the ingredient that comes to mind most readily, and with good reason; the several varieties of local salmon are relatively easy to prepare and have good reputations as healthy protein sources. Many restaurants plank roast salmon in the tradition of several of the coastal Native American tribes of the region. The cook seasons the salmon and bakes it on a board of fragrant cedar or alder wood. Another simple option would be to sauté or bake the salmon with a Japanese soy-based or teriyaki sauce. A third option would be to top the salmon with a sauce of local huckleberries or chanterelle mushrooms. Dungeness crab, Alaska king crab, scallops, mussels, and clams are only a few of the other seafood choices. The region has a large oyster cultivation industry and hence uses oysters in many ways: barbecued, baked, fried or raw on the shell.

Both Washington and Oregon are major producers of fruit; Washington ranks first among American states in apple production, accounting for fully half the nation’s supply. Pears and stone fruits like peaches, apricots and cherries are also available in abundance. When fresh these fruits become mainstays of pies, cakes, and desserts; fruit preserves, jellies, nectars and reductions of all kinds are distinctive in the region. The fruits also find their way into savory foods: pork chops with apricot; salmon sautéed with apples and apple cider; cherry-glazed chicken; swordfish with peach salsa; salads, like the Waldorf, that feature sliced apples or other fruits.

The abundance of rain in the forests of Oregon and Washington State make them ideal environments for the growth of wild mushrooms. Morels, chanterelles, matsutakes, boletus and hedgehog mushrooms are the basis for most commercial harvesting; shitakes and other varieties are also commercial grown. Export demand from Europe and Japan is strong for many varieties, but when local chefs can obtain fresh wild mushrooms, they invariably incorporate them into their cooking.

The Pacific Northwest region has a reputation for rain, but in actuality has a number of climates and micro-climates, many of which have proved ideal for wine production. Walla Walla, an inland area in Washington State, is well known for its sweet onions, descendents of Italian onion varieties brought to the region during the nineteenth century. The Pacific Northwest region has a decided tendency to champion organic and sustainable production of all types of foods, vegetables and herbs, and hence has an excellent infrastructure to process, ***** and market these foods to local restaurants.

If one were to create a stereotypical menu that used the full bounty of the region it would undoubtedly include fresh seafood or organically raised meat, organic herbs and vegetables, local fruits or berries, and choice wild mushrooms. The preparation method would stress simplicity and clear flavor notes, with no one ingredient dominating the others, and with the possible use of select Asian flavorings and cooking techniques. As such, Pacific Northwest cuisine falls into the mainstream of contemporary American cuisine.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: US CIty Cuisine by cjs (The vastness of the ...)
Very interesting, Jean. Here is a section from what I found on the Midwest.

Cleveland Ohio: With the nation’s largest concentrations of Slovenes, Slovaks and Hungarians, as well as a distinct German and Polish influence, Cleveland is a paradise for hearty Central and Eastern European eating: goulashes, stuffed cabbage, schnitzels, and rich desserts. The city also has a vital “Little Italy” section.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: US CIty Cuisine by Mare749 (Very interesting, Je...)
When I first read this, I immediately thought of fried chicken and watermelon. Then came grits, fried shrimp, chicken-fried steak, collard greens, and okra. Finally, came the fried catfish, catfish stew, cornbread, and chicken bog. This is all in addition to BBQ pork. I totally forgot about country ham and biscuits. (A side note about this item. When traveling out of the region, I get confused when ordering a ham biscuit. They use regular sugar cured ham! Blasphemous!)

Now if you extend the region to include LA and Texas, you'd have to include the unique favorites from that region such as gumbo, crawfish, jambalaya, and Tex-Mex dishes.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.