Mother's Day Plans or Surprises?
  Re: (...)
Can't believe my mom's been gone 18 years now. I still miss her and do my best to honor her. So, I start the day at the cemetery with a nice bouquet of flowers, then usually have a family dinner either at my house or one of the girls, the same way she would have. We always invite my in-laws and give my MIL the day off from the kitchen so that she can just enjoy the grandbabies.

This year, it's a BBQ at Heather's. Not sure what meat they have decided on, but I offered to bring scalloped potatoes, and lemon torte or the lime dessert that someone posted the other day. The girls will fill in the rest. We will also be celebrating my dad's 84th birthday. Fingers crossed for a sunny day.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Mother's Day Plans or Surprises? by Mare749 (Can't believe my mom...)
That sounds like a nice way to spend your day, Maryann. We usually go to church and then my husband makes a special dinner for the family. This year, he's making a lemon ginger glazed pork loin roast, risotto and a blood orange tarte; his choices.

I've ordered a sunny bouquet to be delivered to my mom sometime today. We miss my MIL, but aren't nearby enough to visit her grave and place flowers there, but we always reminisce about her on Mother's day.
  Re: Re: Mother's Day Plans or Surprises? by HomeCulinarian (That sounds like a n...)
We are actually celebrating tomorrow at my sister's house. We're rolling a Kentucky Derby Party into it too. I bought my mom and sister each "garden art". It's a copper and beaded peacock. Really cute!

Sunday is kind of up in the air. I'm hoping Tony will take the reigns and figure out dinner.
  Re: Re: Mother's Day Plans or Surprises? by Trixxee (We are actually cele...)
Trixxe, with your love of the races, I hope you have a new hat to wear to the party!!

I like to make things my mother loved, but for sure not the bumbleberry cobbler this week, the way we've been eating for Cinco de Mayo (I ran in for my bloodtest on Monday a.m. before I started on that food!). But, will make strawberry jello with sliced bananas in her honor. Hmmm, don't know what else.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Mother's Day Plans or Surprises? by cjs (Trixxe, with your lo...)
We just went to see Andrew, so he won't be here. Will was here over Easter, so he probably won't be here. We were going to go to Southport to eat lunch with Mom at her favorite restaurant, but Ashley has a narrow window of time Sunday before work. We've all decided that the sensible thing to do is to meet in Wilmington for lunch after church. Ashley has decided on the restaurant. A close friend is a chef there and will gladly let a few extras "fall" on our plates if he's working...LOL! Actually, the restaurant is at Wrightsville Beach, right on the Waterway. It should be warm enough to eat out on the deck.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Mother's Day Plans or Surprises? by Gourmet_Mom (We just went to see ...)
Everyone's plans sound so nice. Thanks for sharing in this special day. Jean, thanks for reminding me about the jello with bananas. My mom loved to do that and I haven't made it for a while. She would also make jello with shredded carrots sometimes too. Think I'll add one of those to the Sunday menu...
Maryann

Re: Re: Mother's Day Plans or Surprises? by Mare749 (Everyone's plans sou...)
This year, I think Mother's Day is going to be a bit of a non-event around here. David is graduating at noon Sunday with 2600 other GT bachelor's and master's grads, so that ceremony is going to take the better part of the afternoon, and then we have dinner reservations in Atlanta.

I do have a small gift for my mom, but the focus is definitely going to be on the new graduate!

(Yippee!! The tuition bill is cut in half!)

Everyone's plans sound wonderful! I hope you all have a great weekend.
  Re: Re: Mother's Day Plans or Surprises? by karyn (This year, I think M...)
It is Mother's Day Buffet for us - at this point I have openings for 1 more table at 11:00 and about 3 for 3:00. The 1:00 seating is full. I think we are looking at over 200 people. We are just so excited! I served 80 at Easter and threw the Mother's Day menu at all of them then, and a lot of them have rebooked! It is going to be a busy day for us. And don't you know . . . I have been knocked down with a massive head cold and am losing my voice.
  Re: Re: Mother's Day Plans or Surprises? by iBcookin (It is Mother's Day B...)
OH Linda, wonderful business news...rotten health news!! Knockers up, you'll get thru it!

Maryann, my mom used to use carrots also with orange jello. I think she had a specific ingredient for each jello flavor.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Mother's Day Plans or Surprises? by cjs (OH Linda, wonderful ...)
Oh, I almost forgot. Mom loved to do lime jello with pears.

Hang in there, Linda. Glad business is so good.
Maryann