Crimini!
  Re: (...)
One of the two big supermarkets in the area has been carrying crimini mushrooms ("baby portobellos" for those who have bought into the marketing) for a while, but the price has been VERY high.

Today, however, I had to take a package of them to the scanner AND ask an employee in the produce department, since they had been marked on sale from $4.76 per eight-ounce package down to $1.19!

Well, the numbers were correct, so I scooped up four packages (i.e. two pounds) of the beauties! Now I just need to decide what to make with them. Soup or stuffed came to mind immediately, as did Wellingtons (but I don't have everything else for those), but I'm still pondering. For now, I'm off to my favourite mushroom-recipe site for some other ideas.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Crimini! by labradors (One of the two big s...)
Fast, tasty, easy, tasty, cheap and did I mention tasty - stuff them with some spicy sausage that's cooked up with cream cheese. KISS
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Crimini! by cjs (Fast, tasty, easy, t...)
WOW! What a great deal! I can't wait to hear what you decide on. I know it will be great!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Crimini! by labradors (One of the two big s...)
Butter, butter, and butter.

Okay, maybe a little red wine... some Maggi - remember that? Some garlic...

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Crimini! by cjs (Fast, tasty, easy, t...)
Quote:

Fast, tasty, easy, tasty, cheap and did I mention tasty - stuff them with some spicy sausage that's cooked up with cream cheese. KISS

Even easier (and, in my opinion, tastier) is to chop the stems for filling using the Julia Child recipe.

Here's a recipe from the site I mentioned earlier. It's not specifically for criminis, but they certainly could be used. Not sure if I'll choose this one this time, but this is definitely going onto my to-make list. Note that some measurements may seem a bit unusual, since I converted them from metric.

Hoisin Mushroom and Chicken Meatloaves
Makes 40 Mini-Muffin Loaves

Ingredients:
  • 1 Tbsp. Olive oil
  • 11 Oz. Cup mushrooms, finely chopped
  • 3/4-inch Piece Ginger, peeled, grated
  • 4 Green onions, finely chopped
  • 21 Oz. Ground chicken breast
  • 2 Tbsp. Hoisin sauce
  • 2 Tbsp. Tomato sauce
  • 1 Egg, lightly whisked
  • 2 Cups Fresh white breadcrumbs
  • 1/4 Cup Cilantro, chopped
Instructions:
  1. Preheat oven to 400°F, fan forced.
  2. Grease 12-hole mini muffin tray.
  3. Heat a large frying pan over high heat.
  4. Add oil and mushrooms and cook for 10 minutes.
  5. Add the ginger and cook 30 seconds.
  6. Add green onions.
  7. Transfer to a large bowl.
  8. Set aside to cool.
  9. Add the chicken, hoisin sauce, tomato sauce, egg, breadcrumbs and coriander to the mushroom mixture.
  10. Season with salt and pepper.
  11. Mix well.
  12. Press mixture into muffin holes so they are full.
  13. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until firm in the centre.
  14. Let stand in the pan for 5 minutes before turning onto a rack.
  15. Repeat with remaining mixture.
  16. Serve warm with extra hoisin sauce.
  Re: Re: Crimini! by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
MMMMM! That DOES sound good! Thanks for sharing....feel free to share more.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Crimini! by Gourmet_Mom (MMMMM! That DOES so...)
Now you know why I love that site so much.
  Re: Re: Crimini! by labradors (Now you know why I l...)
Shoot, shoot, shoot... I was waiting for these to go on sale at the store because there was a recipe I wanted to try but now I can't remember what it was! I'll try to give it a heavy ponder this evening... yeesh...
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Crimini! by foodfiend (Shoot, shoot, shoot....)
LOL! Yes. Please post it here, if/when you remember it. I still haven't made any final decisions.
  Re: Re: Crimini! by labradors (LOL! Yes. Please po...)
I love them sauteed in a bit of olive oil, salt and pepper and 1 clove of finely minced garlic. Once they start to release a bit of moisture and start to soften add about 1/2 cup of red wine. Let this simmer till the liquid is almost evaporated. Add 1 cup of beef stock and let simmer over medium low heat till almost evaporated. Taste for seasoning. These little gems are fantastic on steak. I also put them on a nice grill burger with some stilton bleu cheese.