MasterCook Question
  Re: (...)
I was putting some recipes in for this coming week. I have wondered about calorie counts not matching on a number of occasions, but I think I figured it out today....maybe. The recipe called for 4 chicken breast halves. MC9 doesn't recognize this, only 4 chicken breasts (no skin, no bone in this case). When I corrected the problem, I noticed, not for the first time, it mentions that MC recognizes this as a whole chicken breast. Here's what it says, "chicken breasts, no skin, no bone, R-T-C: MasterCook assumes an average 'whole' size of this ingredient."

I may be just wishing here, but could this mean MC recognizes this as the WHOLE breast and not one of the two halves? It would make sense, in a way. And it sure would make the calorie count in other recipes make more sense as well.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: MasterCook Question by Gourmet_Mom (I was putting some r...)
I have always had trouble with the nutritional values on M.C. Plus, they call for items to be so prissy about the way they are entered. Blah! I totally ignore them now and use my schoolbook text for figuring it out.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: MasterCook Question by cjs (I have always had tr...)
I've never felt the nutritional values were valid. But I DO check that tab to make sure everything is recognized by MC. If not, it doesn't show up on my grocery list properly, which I DO use.
Daphne
  Re: Re: MasterCook Question by Gourmet_Mom (I've never felt the ...)
Daphne, I've had the same problem with MC ever since I first started using it. When I really want to know how many calories I'm consuming, I use CalorieKing.com and figure it out by the ounces and actually weigh the item.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: MasterCook Question by Mare749 (Daphne, I've had the...)
Like I said, I decided the nutritional values were off from the start. It's just that it just occurred to me that I may have unlocked ONE reason for an error in nutritional value.....calculating a WHOLE BREAST versus a half breast as most of us would think of it. I guess I'm not communicating what I'm asking.
Daphne
  Re: Re: MasterCook Question by Gourmet_Mom (Like I said, I decid...)
Oh, I understand now what you meant.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: MasterCook Question by Mare749 (Oh, I understand now...)
Oh... 1 chicken breast = 1/2 a breast or = whole breast. With you now. Interesting. I've been debating whether to note that in recipes calling for chicken breasts for quite a while, but haven't decided yet.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: MasterCook Question by cjs (Oh... 1 chicken brea...)
This is something that I have noticed as a source of confusion in many recipes from many places but I haven't said anything since it COULD be taken in a wrong, sexist sort of way. (Yes, I DO know some people who would be THAT offended by this otherwise innocuous subject.)

Since you all have brought up the discussion, though, I shall go ahead and risk it...

Isn't there a right and a left breast? Wouldn't a "whole breast" be from just one side of the chicken? Even the packaging of the chicken distributors makes it confusing. If the piece is from one side of the chicken and the bones and skin have been removed. it is labelled as a "boneless, skinless breast" - NOT a half, as though a whole breast were just one side. On the other hand, if the bones and skin have NOT been removed, it is labelled a "split chicken breast," as though a whole breast were BOTH sides.

Frankly, it seems the only way to try to be more accurate is to look for (or write if you are the creator of a recipe) the weight and number of servings to get an idea of how much actual meat is needed.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: MasterCook Question by labradors (This is something th...)
I have seen pkgs. of chicken breasts labeled 'whole breast' and they are still connected by a little skin, so that blows that theory as far a blanket statement. I'll be darned if I'll put an "*" with each chicken recipe explaining all this unexplainable logic....
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: MasterCook Question by cjs (I have seen pkgs. of...)
Exactly the point. Depending upon the supplier, etc, packages where they are connected are labelled "whole," but packages where they are separate are not always labelled "halves."

Here, there is no question: if you want both sides, you must ask for dos pechugas.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?