What's for Dinner, Monday, 5/23??
  Re: (...)
What's on everyone's menu for tonight?

We're having Vietnamese-Style Beef with Garlic, B. Pepper & Lime - Trixxee and Daphne made a while back. What did you both serve it with, do you remember?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: What's for Dinner, Monday, 5/23?? by cjs (What's on everyone's...)
I actually have not had a chance to make it yet. I might be making it tonight!
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Monday, 5/23?? by Trixxee (I actually have not ...)
That dish is calling me. Will have to put it on the menu for this week.

I don't know what we'll be having just yet. Ron is golfing after work if it stops raining. Yes, it's raining again!!!

So, it might be a turkey burger night with a salad.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Monday, 5/23?? by Mare749 (That dish is calling...)
We are having chicken apple sausages (grilled), spinach, apple,bacon salad w/creamy garlic dressing and quinoa with cranberries and smoked almonds.
The sun is shining here right now, but I'm told it won't be for long Everything is covered with pollen, so much as I hate more rain, I'll be glad to have that pollen washed away
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Monday, 5/23?? by farnfam (We are having chicke...)
We hadthe chicken Diane with fettucini last nite and it was delicious!!! Tonight, meatloaf and fresh picked squash.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Monday, 5/23?? by Old Bay (We hadthe chicken Di...)
Bill, speaking of pickled veggies, have you looked at the pickled veggie recipe that goes with Maryann's B'day dinner?? It is wonderful!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Monday, 5/23?? by Old Bay (We hadthe chicken Di...)
It's cold and drizzly here so I'm thinking Knoephla soup and a nice smoked turkey sausage.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Monday, 5/23?? by Harborwitch (It's cold and drizzl...)
"Vietnamese-Style Beef with Garlic, B. Pepper & Lime" - lots a flavor going on in this dish, we really enjoyed it.

sun is shining over here and after 1 1/2 more hours of working, I'm going out and sit in the sun and read my bood.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Monday, 5/23?? by cjs ("Vietnamese-Style Be...)
Sorry, I'm late with a comeback for the Vietnamese dish, Jean. I had some Sweet and Sour Rice with Peas in the freezer, so I just used that up. I really enjoyed this one and will do it again.

I'm supposed to make Maryann's dinner review tonight, but I'm trying to decide if I've got enough to share with Jody. After looking at your reviews, I think I'll prep everything and marinate the chicken and veggies for tomorrow night for a quick and easy dinner. I'm a little anxious about the rice cakes. I think that's one thing that has put me off of this so far. Jean, I was going to use some of my Sushi Rice. Maryann said she used Jasmine. What did you use? If it was Sushi Rice, I may stop and pick up some Jasmine or Basamati tomorrow for the rice cakes since you had trouble with yours coming apart.

All that being said, I'm scrambling to figure out what to make for Jody, who LOVES to eat, using what I have on hand. My current options are Shrimp and Grits, Shrimp Scampi, Shrimp and Linguine with Goat Cheese, Tomato, & Tarragon Sauce or run back to the store for cherry tomatoes to make the Shrimp Roll recipe. (Can you tell I want shrimp?)
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Monday, 5/23?? by Gourmet_Mom (Sorry, I'm late with...)
Daphne, the rice cakes were surprisingly easy! I used sushi rice, which I rinsed before I cooked, and then added a bit of seasoned rice vinegar and sugar after it was cooked, just because that's how I cook sushi rice. I formed the rice cakes several hours ahead, and put them on a plate that I sprayed with Pam. I don't know if the time in the refrigerator helped, but it certainly didn't hurt. I sprayed the hot grate with Weber grilling spray before I put the rice cakes on, and they cooked up beautifully, with virtually no breakage, even after dipping in the Wasabi sauce. If I didn't have the spray I would have wiped the grates with oil, but they cooked and flipped so easily I don't know if it would be necessary.

(OT that stuff--the Weber spray--still freaks me out. It's just unnatural to spray an aerosol can at a hot grill, but it doesn't flare up, so I guess it's okay.)

Dinner for us was really disappointing. I tried a new chicken pasta dish with onions, mushrooms, garlic, marsala, and cream, and then finished it with parsley, fresh basil, and parm. I thought it sounded wonderful when I read the recipe but it was BLAND! I tried to perk it up with the usual helpers...salt, pepper, and lemon juice, but all of the flavors just blended into nothingness. Have you ever had that happen? The spinach salad was good, at least!