Jean's Birthday Dinner - Review Monday, June 6th
  Re: (...)
I changed my mind from what I posted earlier in the May B'day thread, so here is my choice for mine special menu.

Maryann - May 23rd to June 6th review date? – My date instead.

To be reviewed on Monday, June 6th

Skewered Citrus Chicken Wings
[Email]C@H[/Email] Grilling book (the one with a grilled drumstick & thigh and tomato slices on the cover),
pg. 19 – Makes 6 servings (18 skewers)

Notes: Prepare chicken wings by first cutting off the tips. Then stretch out the wing and insert a skewer thru the drumettes. (the wing sections are completely stretched out lengthwise)
Because the wings have already been cooked thru, grilling is primarily to add flavor and color.

1 T. each: garlic powder, dried thyme, chili powder, paprika, and kosher salt
1 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
3 1/2 lbs. chicken wings, tips removed (18 wings)
1/4 cup Sriracha sauce
1/4 cup honey
Juice of 1 lemon, 1 lime and 1 orange

Preheat oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with foil.

Combine seasonings for the rub; skewer wings. Arrange wings on the prepared baking sheet, then sprinkle with rub. Roast wings until cooked through, about 25 minutes.

Place a strip of foil on the grill to protect the skewers. Preheat grill to medium-low.

Whisk together the Sriracha, honey, and citrus juices. Coat wings with sauce and grill, covered 3 minutes. Baste wings with more sauce, then flip and baste the other side. Grill wings about 3 minutes more.

Tomato-Potato Salad
Same book, page 87, 8 servings
The warm potatoes soak up the savory flavors of the vinaigrette.

2 1/2 lbs. red potatoes, peeled and sliced into ½-inch-thick rounds
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
2 T. Dijon mustard
1 T. mayonnaise
1 T. honey
1 T. olive oil
2 tsp. minced fresh thyme
Salt and black pepper to taste
1 lb. Campari or cherry tomatoes, halved
1/4 cup minced fresh chives

Boil potatoes in a pot of salted water until tender when pierced, 8 to 10 minutes; drain.
Whisk together vinegar, Dijon, mayonnaise, honey, oil, thyme, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add potatoes, tomatoes, and chives; toss to coat.

Pan Roasted Ciabatta
Splendid Soups & Spectacular Sides, pg. 86, makes 8 slices

8 slices Ciabatta, 1/2" thick
2 T. olive oil
2 garlic cloves, halved
1 roma tomato, halved
Kosher salt

Toast the bread in 1 T. oil in a skillet over med-high heat. Cook about 5 minutes, or until golden on both sides. Remove and toast the remaining slices in 1 T. oil. Rub one side of each slice with the cut garlic and rub the same side with a cut portion of the tomato; sprinkle with salt.

No dessert – I’m making the Rice Krispie Ice Cream cake on the 28th, so maybe there will be some left in the freezer.

Great summer dinner???

EDITED TO ADD A COUPLE OF DRINKS WORTH YOUR CONSIDERATION -

Here's one Sharon offered for my B'day
May I make a cocktail suggestion to your list for consideration???

Salted Caramel

1 cup vanilla ice cream
1/3 cup dulce de leche or caramel sauce
1 shot tequila (preferably anejo or reposado)
Whipped cream, sea salt and/or candied orange peel for garnish.

From BLD Restaurant in LA via Food Network mag.

And, here is the one I am having for brunch Saturday a.m.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Ramos Fizzes
Sue Mitchell Ayers, 1970s

6 oz. gin
2 oz. white creme de cocoa
2 oz. triple sec
4 oz. sweet & sour
2 egg whites
6 oz. half & half

Add all ingredients in a blender & add lots of ice. Blend.

Man, we loved these watching football years ago. (just found "GO BEARS" on one of the copies of this recipe - so that would have been in the early 80s when we lived in Kewanee, IL.

O.K., that it for my day. Hope some of you enjoy it.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Jean's Birthday Dinner - Review Monday, June 6th by cjs (I changed my mind fr...)
Yes, very nice summer menu! You mentioned dessert, but not a cocktail...
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Jean's Birthday Dinner - Review Monday, June 6th by Mare749 (Yes, very nice summe...)
Considering my late review of Maryann's dinner, I'm not doing very well with the dinners. It's that time of year, not to mention surprise dinner guests. I will be making this, just can't promise it will be on time. But soon, very very soon, I will have all the time in the world!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Jean's Birthday Dinner - Review Monday, June 6th by Gourmet_Mom (Considering my late ...)
OHHHHH, forgot! Stay tuned, Maryann...I'll post a 'cocktail' also.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Jean's Birthday Dinner - Review Monday, June 6th by cjs (OHHHHH, forgot! Stay...)
Sounds good - I'll try.

May I make a cocktail suggestion to your list for consideration???

Salted Caramel

1 cup vanilla ice cream
1/3 cup dulce de leche or caramel sauce
1 shot tequila (preferably anejo or reposado)
Whipped cream, sea salt and/or candied orange peel for garnish.

From BLD Restaurant in LA via Food Network mag.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Jean's Birthday Dinner - Review Monday, June 6th by Harborwitch (Sounds good - I'll t...)
Sounds good and decadent. But, I would have that as a dessert, I think, rather than a cocktail... I'll think on it.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Jean's Birthday Dinner - Review Monday, June 6th by cjs (Sounds good and deca...)
I've been wondering what to put on the menu for this coming weekend! I'll use chunks of boneless chicken breast instead of the wings, though. And some tofu for our vegetarian guest... Sounds like a very nice dinner, Jean!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Jean's Birthday Dinner - Review Monday, June 6th by foodfiend (I've been wondering ...)
Jean, is the potato salad meant to be eaten warm? There is nothing in the directions about cooling the potatoes before mixing with the rest of the ingredients.
Maryann

Re: Re: Jean's Birthday Dinner - Review Monday, June 6th by Mare749 (Jean, is the potato ...)
Sorry about that, C@H did have this descriptive line that I neglected to add.

"The warm potatoes soak up the savory flavors of the vinaigrette."
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Jean's Birthday Dinner - Review Monday, June 6th by cjs (Sorry about that, [u...)
Thanks, I thought that might be the case, as I've made a similar salad to this one.
Maryann