What a beautiful-looking salad!
  Re: (...)
Here's a salad from Francis Mallmann's show, Un Lugar en Mendoza, his facebook page and his book, Seven Fires. It sounds as good as it looks.

[Image: 15704348022391381317438.jpg]

Unfortunately, the recipe isn't on the El Gourmet website, yet, but I wrote it up based upon how he presented it in the show. Since there were a couple of things not clear from the show and since the description of the dish from what I could find about the English version of the book was slightly different, I got the answers from someone I know who HAS the English version of the book and have noted them here.

Hot, Ash-Cooked-Squash Salad (Ensalada Caliente de Zapallo al Rescoldo - called "Whole Andean Pumpkin Salad with Mint, Arugula, and Goat Cheese" in the book)

Ingredients:
  • 1 Kabocha (or acorn) squash
  • Goat cheese, softened
  • Arugula, baby spinach leaves or other greens
  • Red-wine vinegar
  • Toasted almonds, finely slivered
  • Garlic crisps (very thin slices of garlic fried in olive oil until crisp)
  • Olive oil
  • Freshly ground black pepper
Instructions:
  1. Bury the squash in the hot ashes left from a wood fire or place onto a baking sheet in a hot oven.
  2. Let the squash roast for about an hour.
  3. Remove the squash.
  4. Clean any ashes from the outside of the squash.
  5. Cut the top off the squash (alternatively, you could cut the squash in half).
  6. Spoon out the seeds from the squash, leaving the flesh inside.
  7. Spoon the goat cheese into the hot squash.
  8. Add the arugula or other greens.
  9. Add some vinegar.
  10. Add the almonds.
  11. Briefly and gently toss the salad within the squash (it's okay if some of the squash gets mixed in: he made no effort to scoop up all of it nor to avoid it)..
  12. Add the garlic crisps.
  13. Briefly and gently toss again.
  14. Drizzle with olive oil.
  15. Grind some black pepper over it.
  16. Serve the salad while the squash is still hot.
Notes:
  1. No ingredient quantities were given on the show and they aren't really important for this recipe.
  2. The squash used on the show looked like a kabocha squash, but zapallo translates as "pumpkin" (and so does calabaza, which is the word more-frequently used to refer to the pumpkins that Americans would know). In the book, he says to use a 5-pound "Andean pumpkin," but what he used on the show was clearly smaller. Again, though, the rest of the ingredients are proportional, anyway.
  3. The book lists the alternative of roasting the squash, on a roasting pan, in a 375F oven for 40-45 minutes. It also suggests, when cooking the squash in the ashes, to cook it until the internal temperature is 150F.
  4. The show's version includes garlic crisps and toasted almonds, but the book's version does not.
  5. The show's version just adds the vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper as listed. The book's version whisks it all together with some finely chopped, fresh mint to make a mint vinaigrette. Neither the show nor the facebook page mention the mint.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: What a beautiful-looking salad! by labradors (Here's a salad from ...)
I really like this idea. I think this would be a beautiful presentation as a salad or as a vegetarian main dish.
  Re: Re: What a beautiful-looking salad! by DFen911 (I really like this i...)
hmmm, interesting.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What a beautiful-looking salad! by cjs (hmmm, interesting....)
This certainly is beautiful looking. Not so sure if we would like that as a salad....but I know we would love the squash cooked that way!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: What a beautiful-looking salad! by Mare749 (This certainly is be...)
Love all the ingredients!