What's for Dinner, Sun. :) 6/5?
  Re: (...)
What's on everyone's menu for tonight?

Simple here - grilled chicken thighs and potato wedges and a green salad.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: What's for Dinner, Sun. :) 6/5? by cjs (What's on everyone's...)
We are meeting Tony's sister and family for an early dinner at a restaurant called Northwoods Inn. Their uncle died last year and probate was finalized on Friday so I guess Tony and each of his sisters are getting their inheritance handed out today from the Administrator (one of the sisters). They picked this restaurant because it was Uncle Donny's favorite. So we'll reminisce and toast to the very kind man who is no longer with us.

And then that's it, I swear, I'm going to be better tomorrow and follow the new nutritional "plate" guidelines that recently came out that replace the old pyramid.
  Re: What's for Dinner, Sun. :) 6/5? by cjs (What's on everyone's...)
I did that Noble Pig Vietnamese Beef recipe and it was soooooo good! Doubled up on the soy/fish oil/lime/sugar recipe and that was spot on! I made jasmine rice - fogot how much I love that rice and Hubby said next time (!) he might even try it with rice. Hubby does not do rice but this is promising.

Definitely a keeper!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Sat. 6/5? by BarbaraS (I did that Noble Pig...)
Party food today. Alyssa turned 6, so we're having a family b-day party today after she has her Chuck E Cheese party with her friends. At 6:30, we're all going out to my in-laws for our nephew's high school graduation party, so more party food! I'll be looking up those new pyramid guidelines as well, tomorrow!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Sat. 6/5? by Mare749 (Party food today. A...)
Our Austin family had dinner at Macaroni Grill---I think an upscale Italian chain--nice evening.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Sat. 6/5? by Old Bay (Our Austin family ha...)
I love Macaroni grill bread!! Have you ever tried this one?
From soon to be published - 200 Small Plates

MACARONI GRILL BREAD MACHINE BREAD

Every time I visit Macaroni Grill, I end up eating so much of their wonderful bread I ruin my dinner! I’ve tried different ‘take off’ recipes for it and I’ve come up with my favorite. The bread is wonderful to use for Bruschetta, Crostini and every other use you can think of for this bread.

2 1/2 cups (12.5 oz.) bread flour 1 1/2 T. fresh rosemary, finely chopped
1 1/2 tsps. sugar 1 cup water
1 1/2 tsps. kosher salt 3 T. olive oil
1 tsp. chopped sweet basil 1 1/2 tsp. active dry yeast
1/2 tsp. chopped oregano 1 egg white, whisked together with 1 T. water
1/4 tsp. black pepper Kosher salt (optional)

In a bowl combine the flour, sugar, salt, basil, oregano, pepper and rosemary; set aside.

In the bread machine container, add the water and oil. Add the flour mixture to the container and top with the yeast. Insert the container in the machine and set for ‘dough’ setting. After the cycle, remove the bread dough and turn out onto a floured surface.

Preheat heat oven to 400°F. Punch the dough down and form into a round; rub the top with olive oil and place on a baking sheet which has been sprinkled with cornmeal. Set in a warm place covered with plastic wrap for 20 minutes.

Score the top and bake for 15 minutes; reduce oven temperature to 350°F. and continue baking for 30 minutes. Brush with egg white wash and lightly sprinkle with kosher salt and bake for another 5 minutes.

a Chef’s Journey tip: to test for doneness when baking bread, insert an instant thermometer into the bottom of the bread ~ when it reaches 200°F., it is done.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Sat. 6/5? by Old Bay (Our Austin family ha...)
Here is some information on the new plate/pyramid. The biggest emphasis seems to be that that half your plate should be fruits and vegetables. I'm going to go back to serving a salad and a vegetable with dinner rather than one or the other and at least some sliced tomatoes, sliced cucumber and a slice or two of avocado as a big chunk of my lunch.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/06/02/usd...index.html
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Sat. 6/5? by Trixxee (Here is some informa...)
I'd watch out for Macaroni Grill. They have some of the highest sodium content meals out there.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Sat. 6/5? by BarbaraS (I'd watch out for Ma...)
Not sure about the sodium aspect, but the Italians I know don't consider Olive Garden or Macaroni Grill to be real Italian, but they absolutely LOVE Buca di Beppo.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Sat. 6/5? by labradors (Not sure about the s...)
That's why I make my own version of Macaroni Grill Bread!! But, all of them are over the top cal/fat/sodium - can't kill us once in a while, if that's where someone wants to go. Lighten up folks.
www.achefsjourney.com