Shrimp Dilemma
  Re: (...)
I guess my hopes for an abundance of shrimp for the freezer this summer are squashed! More than likely, what little I get will be at a high price. This stinks!!!!!!

Cold Weather Shrinks Carolina Catch
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Shrimp Dilemma by Gourmet_Mom (I guess my hopes for...)
I'd better stock up on the biggie ones at Costco before everything goes to h*ll.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Shrimp Dilemma by cjs (I'd better stock up ...)
This is Carolina shrimp, Jean. But it's possible it will affect the whole market. The local news was interviewing local restaurants that usually serve LOCAL shrimp, but are ordering from LA or going with imported or farm raised. MERCY! I've had enough of the farm raised in the past months. Mom has a bunch in the freezer from last year that I know she's not going to use. I'm going beggin'!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Shrimp Dilemma by Gourmet_Mom (This is Carolina shr...)
CR@P! I better go stock up a bit - my lazy dinner is Chili Prawns. MMMMMMMMMM

Someone was joking a couple months ago about shrimp - "glow in the dark" from Asia or "crude marinated" from the Gulf Not real funny.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Shrimp Dilemma by Harborwitch ([url=mailto:CR@P!]CR...)
My local winter source that freezes during the peak so he's got shrimp during the off season put up a sign this winter that his shrimp was NOT from the Gulf. Unfortunately, he's bound be running out soon in anticipation of the Spring harvest. I'm going to visit him this weekend to see if I can make a deal for some "old" frozen shrimp in a large batch.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Shrimp Dilemma by Gourmet_Mom (My local winter sour...)
I went to 3 stores today, looking for US, wild-caught shrimp and came up with nothing. I ended up getting frozen,huge shrimp at Sam's (at $13/pound), wild-caught but in the far east somewhere.
Poo.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Shrimp Dilemma by foodfiend (I went to 3 stores t...)
I'm afraid that mass markets r worried about buying Gulf shrimp. Now that our shrimp population is down, markets are scrambling to find sources. It will be interesting how this plays out.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Shrimp Dilemma by Gourmet_Mom (I'm afraid that mass...)
Quote:

I'm afraid that mass markets r worried about buying Gulf shrimp. Now that our shrimp population is down, markets are scrambling to find sources. It will be interesting how this plays out.

Gulf shrimp are fine--I eat them every week--this is all hype--nobody down here can tell any difference--some shrimpers and oystermen are still trying to bleed BP. They want money, but they never paid taxes on what they said they made in previous years, so they can't prove what they lost!! There are still billions BP gave and the govt officials can't give it away (legally). This will end up with the feds taking it and doing something "green" with it. Mark my words. The blowout is done--Mother Nature fixed most of it with no help from Uncle Sam--the drilling moritorium has done more harm than the blowout!!

Please buy Gulf shrimp--the price will come down and people will go back to work!! Help save our Gulf economy--our fish are clean!!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Shrimp Dilemma by Old Bay ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Oh Bill! I totally agree! I would eat Gulf Shrimp now for sure! I'm sorry if my post implied otherwise. My point was that with the "hype" about the spill and it's affects, and now our problem, people would turn to other sources that are not as good. I'm afraid it will drive prices up. But on the up side, our negative could lead to a positive in your area. If people are smart, they will go for Gulf shrimp OVER imported or farm raised!

The local news interviewed numerous restros, and they have all reported going to LA over farm raised or imports. I won't be eating out at any chain any time soon. I want to trust where my shrimp comes from......I'm USA ALL THE WAY.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Shrimp Dilemma by Gourmet_Mom (Oh Bill! I totally ...)
I think, more than likely, we're seeing another incident of speculation that's driving the market. I'm going to buy a few pounds - I have freezer room and found a good price on packages that are sized right for the two of us. They are USA product . . .
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!