What are your top 10 kitchen tips for a new cook?
  Re: (...)
Saw this on Huffington Post yesterday and thought it would start a fun thread here. 10 Simple Kitchen Tips You Wish Someone Told You Earlier

I think mine would be to just try new foods and cooking methods.
  Re: What are your top 10 kitchen tips for a new cook? by HomeCulinarian (Saw this on Huffingt...)
3. If you own a knife, don't use a garlic press

I disagree with this one, if a person is new to cooking their knife skills are lacking and until they conquer this skill, using a garlic press is the safest way to insure incorporating garlic into a dish without large chunks.

5. Herbs that are supposed to be green should be purchased fresh, not dry.

Personally, I think there is a place in everyone's kitchen for dried herbs. Dry rosemary, imo, is the worst herb to try to use of any. I must say for dishes/sauces that cook a long time, I prefer to use dry herbs and finish with a little fresh.

6. ...but you should purchase them as you need them, and in small quantities unless you use them frequently.

And, always write the date on the container when you open it and throw out after a year.

-----
I can think of tips more helpful to a novice cook than those listed above (again, imo ) -

o Always read through a recipe and collect all ingredients before starting - this is to make sure you have the ingredients and enough of each that is called.

o Always read through the recipe instructions for steps that must be done in a certain order, or to find if there is something you don't understand or have never done before. Check with someone to find what something means if you're not sure.

o I've noticed a lot of new cooks will arbitrarily add more of an ingredient they especially like. Be careful doing this, more of what you love is not always the best thing for a dish. The first time you make a recipe, do it as written - both for taste and for respect to the recipe author, then play with it.

----
O.K., I'll stop now, but you sure got me wound up, Jeannette!! I'm sure this thread will come up with some really good tips and warnings!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What are your top 10 kitchen tips for a new cook? by cjs (3. If you own a knif...)
"3. If you own a knife, don't use a garlic press

I disagree with this one, if a person is new to cooking their knife skills are lacking and until they conquer this skill, using a garlic press is the safest way to insure incorporating garlic into a dish without large chunks."

While I agree with this, I have an addition. I recently read that pressing, mincing, and chopping garlic will give you different intensity of flavor. I wish my brain was working better, but I THINK it said you got more intense flavor when you pressed garlic and less flavor the less you chop it. Or was it the other way around....LOL!?!?!?! I gave away my press, so I haven't been able to test this theory yet.

I totally agree with Jean on 5 and 6.

And regarding number 1, it's funny, I had never used my tongs much when I first started cooking a lot0. But when I started using them, I learned they were my favorite kitchen tool. I now own NUMEROUS pairs.

Jean is VERY right about reading through recipes and getting your ingredients together! VERY IMPORTANT! I recently forgot to read through the directions this weekend, depending on my memory of making it before. I had to stay up VERY late to get that sauce ready....forgetting it simmered for 3-4 hours.

I'll add another tip now. I'm sure I will think of others later. This one is a spin on one Jeannette added.

-Try foods you once thought you didn't like. I didn't think I cared much for cheese, olives, and cilantro. I'm not loving ALL olives, but I'm learning that I like them in some dishes. The other two....I regret not trying them again sooner!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: What are your top 10 kitchen tips for a new cook? by Gourmet_Mom ("3. If you own a kni...)
Here are a few things they didn't say:
  • Don't be in a hurry to buy a big set of non-stick pans. It's okay to have one or two, but most new cooks set the heat too high for what supposed to be used for non-stick pans and/or do other things that ruin the pans and ruined, non-stick pans are terrible. Instead, get a good set of stainless-steel pans (cast iron is wonderful, too, but may take some getting used to for newbies).
  • Don't get a "chef's knife" that has serrated edges. "Never needs sharpening" means "can't be sharpened." Besides, serrated edges are not appropriate for the proper use of a chef's knife in the manner for which it was designed. If you get a good chef's knife, learn how to use it, avoid glass cutting boards and keep it honed and sharpened, you will have NO problems cutting tomatoes, etc., despite what the EXAGGERATIONS in the TV/Ginsu knife commercials may show.
  • Once you have been successful in making a few things by carefully following recipes, don't be afraid to experiment. Most recipes (except for baking) are NOT that strict. Go with what tastes good to you. If something doesn't turn out well, try again. As Chef Santi Santamaria said, "Cooking is an ode to repetition - not for lack of imagination, but as a quest for perfection."
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: What are your top 10 kitchen tips for a new cook? by labradors (Here are a few thing...)
The knife tip is AWESOME! YS fell for that when he moved to a house with a kitchen. Now he's got a pretty set of knives that are totally useless! I'd rather have ONE GOOD chef's knife for 50-100 bucks over ANY "set" of knives.

And since I don't use non-stick pans, I wouldn't know. I will, however, be buying one in the near future....now that the gremlins have left the house. I'm still trying to get over their destruction of my knives.
Daphne
  Re: Re: What are your top 10 kitchen tips for a new cook? by Gourmet_Mom (The knife tip is AWE...)
Don't know where I'd be without my ten-inch, Henckels, Four-Star chef's knife. I have a couple of eight-inchers, as well (one Four Star and one Professional-S), but I use the ten for almost everyting - even a lot of things where you might, otherwise, think of using a paring knife. Still, a good paring knife is essential and a goo bread knife (which, of course, SHOULD be serrated) is really handy, too - especially for pineapple, papaya or melon preparation.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: What are your top 10 kitchen tips for a new cook? by labradors (Don't know where I'd...)
I LOVE my Henckels! And I agree, I grab my serrated shark shape handled knife for bread. I even have a serrated special tomato knife that I got last Christmas. But to be honest, when I pull my Henckle for prep work, I don't pull anything else, regardless of size of the task....except for bread.
Daphne
  Re: Re: What are your top 10 kitchen tips for a new cook? by Gourmet_Mom (I LOVE my Henckels! ...)
Speaking of knives I agree with others comments. Keep your knves sharp and practice correct technique. Chef son gave me a pro mini chef knife and it's my favorite tool. Good balance is nice.

I would also add avoid too many gadgets. I've wasted a lot of money on specialty appliances and such. Investing in a good KA stand mixer was a good buy. The crepe maker not so much.
  Re: Re: What are your top 10 kitchen tips for a new cook? by HomeCulinarian (Speaking of knives I...)
OMG! YES! My Kitchen Aide Mixer is tops on my list for NECESSARY!

Boy....now I feel the need to list my necessary items for a successful kitchen.

-a good knife (or knives, if you can afford it)
-a good set of stainless steel cookware
-two Pyrex or similar glass baking dishes in two sizes
-at least ONE cast iron skillet (and one dutch oven if you can't afford an enamel variety)
-a KA or Cuisineart mixer (preferably with the pasta set)
-a stick blender
-a good food processor
-wooden spoons
-silicon tip tongs
-silicon basting brush
-a digital scale (especially if you're interested in baking)
-a timer

And number ONE: a good instant read thermometer
Daphne
  Re: Re: What are your top 10 kitchen tips for a new cook? by Gourmet_Mom (OMG! YES! My Kitch...)
Quote:

OMG! YES! My Kitchen Aide Mixer is tops on my list for NECESSARY!

Boy....now I feel the need to list my necessary items for a successful kitchen.

-a good knife (or knives, if you can afford it)
-a good set of stainless steel cookware
-two Pyrex or similar glass baking dishes in two sizes
-at least ONE cast iron skillet (and one dutch oven if you can't afford an enamel variety)
-a KA or Cuisineart mixer (preferably with the pasta set)
-a stick blender
-a good food processor
-wooden spoons
-silicon tip tongs
-silicon basting brush
-a digital scale (especially if you're interested in baking)
-a timer

And number ONE: a good instant read thermometer

Daphne, you've just about nailed my list, especially the instant read thermometer. I can't imagine cooking without it!

I do think that even new cooks need 3 knives, however...an 8 or 10-inch chef's knife, a bread knife, and a paring knife, I love my Wustofs, but the Vitorinox Fibrox knives are also great if you're on a budget. They're what I bought when we got our lake house (I'm trying really hard to avoid a duplicate of my entire kitchen), and I'm really surprised at what a good job they do for such a cheap knife even after 6 years!