Summer Desserts
  Re: (...)
Since there is a chance of summer coming up here one of these days, how about a thread about summer desserts? Anon was looking at a birthday dinner review of one of my b'days and it included the Rice Krispie Ice Cream Cake that I love so much. And, there was a picture - I had forgotten I even had a picture of it!

[Image: ICECREAMCAKE.jpg]

* Exported from MasterCook *

RICE KRISPIES ICE CREAM CRUNCH CAKE

6 ozs Chocolate chips
1/3 cup peanut butter
3 cup Rice Krispies®
1/2 gallon ice cream -- vanilla or frozen yogurt (coffee Ice cream is great!)

In a bowl placed over a pot of simmering water, melt the chocolate chips and peanut butter together; add the cereal and stir together.

Spread this mixture on a baking sheet and cool. Break up cereal mixture into small pieces.

Soften ice cream and fold in all but ½ cup of cereal mixture; spread the ice cream into a spring form pan.

Use remaining ½ cup chocolate/cereal mixture to sprinkle over the 'cake.'
Wrap cake in foil and freeze. Remove from freezer and keep in refrigerator for an hour before serving.

Garnish slices of the ice cream cake with whipped cream and strawberries, if desired.

Description:
"On a hot summer day, this dessert just can't be beat and all ages love it.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

So, how about some other ideas???
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Summer Desserts by cjs (Since there is a cha...)
Pineapple Crisp!!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Summer Desserts by cjs (Since there is a cha...)
Love that idea, Jean! Maybe I'll have to try it on a smaller (i.e more affordable) scale, here. Wish I could make my own Rice Krispies. That's another one of those American-import cereals that costs three times as much as anything local and there is no local equivalent.

Can't say that I haven't scoured the Internet for ways to make them. One path led to some instructions - even a YouTube video, that actually seem fraudulent (i.e. the old switcheroo just before showing them coming out of the oven). There were also videos of street vendors in India using pressure cookers, but those actually produced "puffed rice," NOT Rice Krispies. The best info said that:
Quote:

Normal rice is missing the moisture, but if you condition it with steam to get enough moisture inside the kernel, you can either oven-pop rice or oil-pop it. It's not as dramatic a transformation as popcorn, but it pops using the same mechanism. Rice Krispies are oven-popped, which gives them the right texture to "snap! crackle! pop!" when milk is added.

If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Summer Desserts by labradors (Love that idea, Jean...)
My new summer dessert are Meyer Lemon Thins (cookies) from Trader Joe's. They're so thin they must be calorieless, right?
  Re: Re: Summer Desserts by Trixxee (My new summer desser...)
One of our favorites was peach halves marinated in raspberry vodka, sprinkled with coarse sugar and grilled. I served them with raspberries and a bit of whipped cream.

Jean that ice cream cake looks incredible. It looks like a doable down at the restaurant too - I haven't got the freezer space for that. Do you think it could be made in muffin tins for individual servings????
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Summer Desserts by Harborwitch (One of our favorites...)
Lol Trixxie I was eating those yesterday! They are scrumptious! Hey what about crushing them up for a crust for cheese cake or a blueberry mousse?
  Re: Re: Summer Desserts by DFen911 (Lol Trixxie I was ea...)
Oh, good idea, Denise - I'll have to look for those next Wednesday in the 'big city'!

Sharon, yes that works, I have made them for catering jobs in individual springform pans and they are really cute to serve.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Summer Desserts by cjs (Oh, good idea, Denis...)
Yes, great idea!
  Re: Re: Summer Desserts by Trixxee (Yes, great idea!...)
Just watching Ina make this:

[Image: BX0405H_mocha-chocolate-icebox-cake_s4x3_lg.jpg]

I want to make this Chocolate Mocha Icebox Cake VERY soon!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Summer Desserts by Gourmet_Mom (Just watching Ina ma...)
Oh, and just think if it was made with cream cheese ice cream!!!!
www.achefsjourney.com