I Picked The Winner!!!!!
  Re: (...)
Crap, no money on him, but I picked #3 - Ruler on Ice!! son of a gun. I liked how he was belligerent coming out!!!

How did you do, Trixxee?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: I Picked The Winner!!!!! by cjs (Crap, no money on hi...)
Shame you didn't have money on him! Yea, Trixxee! How'd you do?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: I Picked The Winner!!!!! by Gourmet_Mom (Shame you didn't hav...)
Good for you Jean! Fun, isn't it? I didn't do a darn thing! I really like that jockey. He races in So. Cal. a lot and I have a lot of respect for him - even more now.

Did you see how Animal Kingdom's jockey almost fell off right out of the gate? At that point I was just so glad that no horse or human got hurt.
  Re: Re: I Picked The Winner!!!!! by Trixxee (Good for you Jean! ...)
I know! That was a scary moment. His comeback was amazing! If it hadn't been for that slip, I think he might have had it. What a shame. Thankfully, they didn't get hurt.
Daphne
  Re: Re: I Picked The Winner!!!!! by Gourmet_Mom (I know! That was a s...)
You have me hooked again, Trixxee! Years ago we used to watch the races, but somehow got away from it. Now, I find myself looking for 'horsie' news in the sports section also.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: I Picked The Winner!!!!! by cjs (You have me hooked a...)
Oh good Jean! The sport needs more fans. I was just thinking yesterday that the next big nationally televised race is probably the Breeder's Cup in November (where Zenyatta lost that race). To me the BC is the most exciting of all the big races.

Thank goodness we get TVG channel (and they show up on FSN Prime Ticket on many weekend afternoons) so I can watch throughout the year.

I'm anxious for Del Mar to open up in San Diego Co. Beautiful race track. They open late July-Labor Day and it is a fun day.
  Re: Re: I Picked The Winner!!!!! by Trixxee (Oh good Jean! The s...)
I love racing and went to the Derby in '99. I bet on Cat Thief--came in 2nd, but won the Breeders Cup. I worry about our future--Whirlaway, the 1942 Triple Crown winner, raced two or three times between each of the triple crown races,--won most of them--not the fastest times, but relative to competition, a winner. Most horses today, race no more than 10 times in their carrers'. I'm afraid we've limited the gene pool of our horses to produce weak ankles, stamina,sacrificing sound bodies for speed, et al.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: I Picked The Winner!!!!! by Old Bay (I love racing and we...)
Old Bay - I think you are probably correct. So many horses are injured after less than 10 races.

Perhaps the great Zenyatta was an exception. 20 races. I'm so happy her pregnancy is progressing along. Next Feb or March we shall see her first foal.

Her 2 year old half sister, Ebloissante is in training now with Zenyatta's same trainer. Will be very excited to see her make her racing debut.

Gee, can you tell I'm enamored with the sport?
  Re: Re: I Picked The Winner!!!!! by Trixxee (Old Bay - I think yo...)
I agree there is a major worry about the publicity and push on these horses. But the excitement brings the fans back....again and again. I don't know. It's fun to watch, but the danger to jockeys and horses makes me sad. I guess that's why I haven't ever been a HUGE follower.
Daphne
  Re: Re: I Picked The Winner!!!!! by Gourmet_Mom (I agree there is a m...)
A breakdown is a horrific thing to witness. Thank goodness they get that green screen up quickly and it doesn't happen all that often.

Good thing is though horses don't seem to be as sturdy as they once were, many if not most injuries are not life threatening or ending. Lots of tendon issues, muscle issues, etc. and while they might not be racing anymore, they should have a very nice quality of life if the owners make it so. And some go on to become studs (which I assume is a nice life for a male horse). On FB I follow Winstar Farms who have some of the most current well known studs there. Man, these animals are busy!