For Working Folks
  Re: (...)
I loved these kind of ideas when I was working and/or raising the kids. I though of you all (poor babies ) and your frantic week night dinners when I played with this dish.

I made the whole amount of filling for the C@H stuffed peppers last week, but only made 4 peppers, so had lots left over. so, here an idea for y'all.

--------
This is such a versatile mixture to have on hand when you are short of time. I stuffed pepper one night, added a portion of it to some roasted tomato soup for an evening dinner, also added it to a tortilla with lettuce, onion, fresh tomatoes for a taco/burrito thing. I have a portion left and I think I’ll add it to some pasta with a little Parmesan/Asiago.

Jambalaya Pepper Filling – adapted from:
C@H, Issue #43, Feb. 2004

2 cups cooked rice
8 oz. turkey kielbasa, cubed
8 oz. boneless, skinless chicken breast, cubed
Note: sub the above meat with ground beef, ground turkey, or a combination of any of these)
1 T. olive oil
1 cup onion, chopped
1/2 cup bell pepper, chopped
1/2 cup celery, chopped
2 T. Cajun spice mix, see below
2 large cloves garlic, minced
14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes

Sauté kielbasa and chicken in oil in a skillet for 2 minutes. Add vegetables, spice mix, and garlic, cook 3-5 minutes. Stir in cooked rice and tomatoes; simmer 5 minutes or until tomato liquid is absorbed. Cool mixture slightly; transfer to a bowl and refrigerate until needed.

Cajun Spice mix – makes 2 T. add all of it to the above mixture.
Combine:
1 tsp. each: paprika, kosher salt, garlic powder
1/2 tsp. each: black pepper, onion powder, cayenne, dried oregano, dried thyme

---------

Darn near takes care of a week's worth of dinner and the flavors differ so you don't feel you're eating the same darn thing.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: For Working Folks by cjs (I loved these kind o...)
Thanks for posting that - it will come in handy here for those nights when creative juices are gone.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: For Working Folks by Harborwitch (Thanks for posting t...)
Thanks for the ideas, Jean. I'll test it out this summer. This would be a great weekend project to freeze portions for separate meals for William and myself. Copied and saved.

As a matter of fact, I think I'm going to pull together some of these fast and easy dinners for a separate cookbook in MC. Then I'll have a place to go when I can't think of anything. It's difficult to wade through all the separate cookbooks looking for something like this.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: For Working Folks by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks for the ideas...)
Daphne, I don't know how you feel about Campbell's Tomato soup, but I always have a case of it in the pantry that I can doctor up with any leftovers I have in the frig. Coming up with the 'later' food (from having main meal in the middle of the day) can sometimes be a challenge. But, I find I can add anything to tomato soup and we love it. Splitting a sandwich and that small meal is taken care of. Which you could do with not splitting a sandwich - your whole dinner would be taken care of.

Remember when our mom's served us Tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich???? Maybe your's didn't, but I loved the meal.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: For Working Folks by cjs (Daphne, I don't know...)
We didn't have grilled cheese at my house, but I would enjoy a grilled ham and cheese now.....well, maybe in the colder months...LOL! I'm hoping to make some tomato soup and marinara this summer. The tomato corp looks good right now.
Daphne
  Re: Re: For Working Folks by cjs (Daphne, I don't know...)
Quote:

Daphne, I don't know how you feel about Campbell's Tomato soup, but I always have a case of it in the pantry that I can doctor up with any leftovers I have in the frig.

I'm all over that. Just about lived on tomato soup with milk, macaroni and ground beef in my school-lunch Thermos (since I wasn't crazy about cold sandwiches at the time). Had that combination day in and day out for most of my childhood and I'm STILL not tired of it!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: For Working Folks by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Thanks for posting this, Jean. Lots of creative ideas here to work with! Not sure why I ignored the recipe first time around, but it sure sounds good now.

We love grilled cheese and tomato soup any time of the year! I buy the soup by the case.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: For Working Folks by Mare749 (Thanks for posting t...)
Great ideas jean! Thank you! I will need some of these time saving ideas once school is back in session. I know I say this every year but I want to be really organized with Mon-Thurs dinners. It will be a lot easier to help Michael with his homework if I'm not stressed out at 5:30pm trying to get something on the table.
  Re: Re: For Working Folks by Trixxee (Great ideas jean! T...)
Trixxee, I will share my MC cookbook with you when I put it together. Jean has inspired me to create a cookbook for this.
Daphne
  Re: Re: For Working Folks by Gourmet_Mom (Trixxee, I will shar...)
What a great idea, Daphne, I have some ideas to send you also. Where were you when I was so frazzled????
www.achefsjourney.com