Umami Paste
  Re: (...)
Flavor #5!!! We spread some on good ground beef patties, grilled them and topped with gorgonzola==this really works!!! It adds a "deliciousness" to savory foods. We got ours at Central Market.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Umami Paste by Old Bay (Flavor #5!!! We spr...)
Ingredients?

Anchovies and/or MSG (i.e. the two most common umami ingrdients)?
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Umami Paste by labradors (Ingredients?[br][br]...)
Quote:

Ingredients?

Anchovies and/or MSG (i.e. the two most common umami ingrdients)?

Tomato paste, garlic, anchovey, black olives, balsamic vinegar, dehydrated porcini mushrooms, Parmesan cheese, citric acid, olive oil, wine vinegar, sugar, salt, and milk.

I think the mushroom and the balsamic contribute the most, after the anchovey.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Umami Paste by Old Bay ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Yep. Lots of umami there: anchovies, Parmeasn, porcini, olives, balsamic. So glad they didn't go with MSG. After all, umami has been sold in powdered form, for years (it's called "Accent Flavor Enhancer), but that was MSG.

Cool!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Umami Paste by labradors (Yep. Lots of umami ...)
Very cool! It's interesting that some of my favorite flavors are considered to by umami flavors.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Umami Paste by Gourmet_Mom (Very cool! It's int...)
The June issue has a recipe for 'Umami Dust' to be used with a burger - burger is topped with Stilton, then dusted and finally drizzled with a ruby port reduction. sounds very good!!

In a spice grinder: 3 T. bonito flakes, 1/2 oz. crumbled dried kombu (or kelp - seaweed which is sun-dried), 1/2 oz. dried shiitake mushrooms.

The article said it (umami dust) will soon be available thru umamiburger.com
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Umami Paste by cjs (The June issue has a...)
That's interesting. I KNOW I can get the mushrooms and seaweed from the Asian store in the city. I bet they've got the bonito flakes there as well. I'll have to check.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.