Paella Advice Please
  Re: (...)
Well now I have 3-4 dinner events planned from now til September. One dinner is paella, I think. Is it easy to cook? Do I have to paella pan.

Has anyone had a white sangria? Did you like it? Or should I just stick with the regular sangria?

Any tips for this are appreciated. This dinner is not until end of Aug or Sept.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Paella Advice Please by luvnit (Well now I have 3-4 ...)
I have no clue how to make Paella, but I DO know there was a Sangria thread recently. Let's see if I can find it.

Here you go: Sangria Recipes
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Paella Advice Please by Gourmet_Mom (I have no clue how t...)
Paella is easy and fun!! You have time to go to library and look for this book - "Paella!" by Penelope Casas. I got this book over 10 years ago when I first started making paella and it is a great book!

I think my favorite from the book is the Scallop & Mushrooms Paella (Arroz con Vieiras y Setas). Oh my, it is just delicious.

This is what she says about using paella pans:
"While the time-honored paella pan is best for making most paellas, shallow casseroles also work well. It is certainly not necessary to invest in an expensive stainless-steel paella pan. Paella chefs, in fact, are disdainful of them and prefer the traditional thin-metal, wide-bottomed, shallow pans tht heat like lightnining and immediately adjust to changes in temperature."

Also, paella is great for a company dish because so much of it can be prepped ahead of time.

Now, you have me thinking, Laura - paella wasn't even in my mind, but Roy has chosen his Father's day dinner-sausage and the bok choy stir-fry from earlier this week. No reason I can't make a paella out of it!! THANK YOU - how fun this will be.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Paella Advice Please by cjs (Paella is easy and f...)
I have a paella pan and love making it. Which reminds me I haven't made it in a while. The best part is the crispy rice!

Another nice thing about paella is that you can arrange the toppings in an artful way making a nice presentation. Traditionally, people all eat from the same pan.
  Re: Re: Paella Advice Please by HomeCulinarian (I have a paella pan ...)
Oh go look at the mystery dinner review. I did a white sangria and it was wonderful!! However I did add a can of 7-Up, and instead of 3/4 cup sugar I only did 1/2.
  Re: Re: Paella Advice Please by HomeCulinarian (I have a paella pan ...)
Paella is usually cooked over an open fire for some smoke flavor--I usually do mine inside and add the pimenton (smoked Spanish paprika) to the mix near the end, and Jean is right about the pan, get a cheap one in the size you need--- AND do not stir the rice after the final mix and mixing--the charm of the dish is a crust on the rice bottom and the smoke and saffron color and flavor--many recipes, but I think these are the keys.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Paella Advice Please by Old Bay (Paella is usually co...)
My mom loved socarrat, but I am not fond of it, so I always make mine in my LC in the oven. There is a good recipe here , just scroll down to paella. I have also made CI's recipe which my guests loved. Since there were several folks that did not like some of the seafoods, I only used shrimp, Spanish chorizo, chicken and some pork bits I had on hand. The shrimp on top of the paella was some of the best I've ever had. I now make it this way whenever I use shrimp in a recipe e.g. pasta, etc. In case you'd like it, I am posting the shrimp part. Let me know if you'd like the entire recipe.

EXPORTED FROM LIVING COOKBOOK

MARINATING SHRIMP FOR USE IN RECIPES*****

Yield: 1 LB

1 lb. Frozen 31/35 raw shrimp (defrosted)
1 tsp. kosher salt
¼ tsp. ground black pepper
1 TBS. Olive Oil
3 Garlic Cloves minced

In a medium bowl combine ¼ tsp ground black pepper, ¼ tsp salt, 1 clove minced garlic and 1 TBS. olive oil.

Clean and devein shrimp reserving shells for shrimp stock. Put shrimp in bowl and toss to combine. Cover and refrigerate for at least ½ hour (3 is better.)

Prep. Time: 15 minutes Inactive Time: 3 hours Total Time: 3 hours and 15 minutes

Source: COOK'S ILLUSTRATED's Paella recipe 5/2005
Web Page: http://www.cooksillustrated.com/recipes/...docid=6604

Recipe Type: Cooks Illustrated, Seafood, Shrimp
  Re: Re: Paella Advice Please by Cubangirl (My mom loved socarra...)
You're going to have so much fun, Laura. My pan is all de-cobwebbed and clean, ready to go on Sunday! speaking of which, we need a thread for Father's day, don't we??
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com