Why I'm Not a Pastry Chef!!
  Re: (...)
I am so bad when it come to pastry/baking - I swear to God, I can screw up a baking recipe so fast it would make a saint's head twirl!!!

I make 60 minute dinner rolls all the time and today because I forgot I didn't have the sweet potatoes for Maryann's rolls (first mistake), I had to resort to the old standby. But, my black ink cartridge is almost empty so I scanned the recipe from a Chef's Journey...Home (page 192 ). Well in scanning the "/" marks didn't come thru. so the recipe said:

----yeast
114 cup water
---sugar
112 cup vege oil\
1 112 cups buttermilk
blah, blah, blah.....

for some reason, I read 114 water as 1 1/4 cup (instead of 1/4 cup) but when I was adding the vege oil and the buttermilk, I read it correctly as 1/2 cup oil and 1 1/2 cup buttermilk.

Well, can you imagine how loose this darn bread dough was?? Plus I had addded all the herbs + white pepper that I had been playing with in the pizza dough. So, here I am with all this loose, loose, extremely loose dough on my work board trying to add just enough flour to make a cohesive mess that I could work with.

I told Roy, I was going to be so p*ssed if these darn rolls turned out to be the best I've ever done....

[Image: Screwedup60minutedinnerrolls.jpg]

I've never made such a subtle flavored and light dinner roll - they will just float away from you they are so light and fluffy. And, if I hadn't screwed the liquid up, I think they would have been overly seasoned. As they are, you get the flavor of the herbs in the mid-tongue and the slight heat of the white pepper on the side. (maybe too much info, but I was amazed)

Now, I have to figure out exactly how much more flour I added - it ended up a very loose dough, but workable.

Oh my.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Why I'm Not a Pastry Chef!! by cjs (I am so bad when it ...)
At least you knew what to do. I would have probably given up and thrown the whole mess out and start over...LOL! They look delicious!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Why I'm Not a Pastry Chef!! by Gourmet_Mom (At least you knew wh...)
Well now, what a great way to look at this.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Why I'm Not a Pastry Chef!! by cjs (Well now, what a gre...)
Looks good to me, Jean! After all, the famous Wakefield (?) MA Toll House cookies came about this way, look where that has gone!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Why I'm Not a Pastry Chef!! by cjs (I am so bad when it ...)
Oh Jean they are beautiful!!!

I hope you can figure it out so you can make them again!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Why I'm Not a Pastry Chef!! by Harborwitch (Oh Jean they are bea...)
me, too
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Why I'm Not a Pastry Chef!! by cjs (me, too [img]/ubbthr...)
Beautiful Jean!! I've always said, cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy--you are an alchemist!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Why I'm Not a Pastry Chef!! by Old Bay (Beautiful Jean!! I'v...)
Don't you love happy accidents? Those look great, Jean!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Why I'm Not a Pastry Chef!! by Mare749 (Don't you love happy...)
Some of my best recipes come out of mistakes like that. I love it when the mistake is leaving out a whole bunch of sugar and it still works. I would be so much more comfortable doing this with cakes or cookies than with rolls. I've baked lots of bread, but have always been afraid of rolls so I've never made any and actually prefer rolls.

Those look so good. I admire you for making it work. Now go back and visualize yourself making the recipe and track slowly so you can see your hands adding the flour. You might get an idea how much you use and write that down as a starting point next time. (Don't laugh, I use this all the time because my ADHD has always made my memory and iffy thing.)
  Re: Re: Why I'm Not a Pastry Chef!! by Cubangirl (Some of my best reci...)
Exactly what I'm going to do tomorrow, CubanGirl, while it is still fresh in my memory.
www.achefsjourney.com