What's for Dinner, Thursday 6/23?
  Re: (...)
What's on everyone's menu for tonight?
(can't wait to see what direction Daphne goes)

the freezer project is still alive and well. Found a little pkg. labeled "Chix for Swt. Potato Wraps" and I was even smart enough to have stuck the recipe in the pkg. But, I didn't write any info on the paper about when, where the recipe came from - except it's from page 141 of a section 'pasta, rice, and potatoes.' for heaven's sake how will I ever find the book?

Anyway, were having Stephen's Spicy Sweet Potato and Chicken wraps.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: What's for Dinner, Thursday 6/23? by cjs (What's on everyone's...)
Ha ha! Yes, I do have a big decision to make. But how fun to have so many choices after such a long dry spell!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Thursday 6/23? by Gourmet_Mom (Ha ha! Yes, I do ha...)
My husband is gone again for dinner and Michael will want something kid-related so I'm thinking about picking up some sushi at my local Ralph's. They have a full time husband/wife sushi team that will make up anything you want if what they have packaged today doesn't grab you. And it's really reasonable. I'll probably spend $13-$15 and be stuffed!
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Thursday 6/23? by Trixxee (My husband is gone a...)
I'm actually tired of cooking, and tired of eating. Been making jams/jellies for 2 days straight. Scrambled eggs or soft boiled eggs and toast is sounding really good.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Thursday 6/23? by Lorraine (I'm actually tired o...)
Wow, what a cooking day for me too, Lorraine. So far, 76 slider rolls made for the 'after' the 4th party. One more batch of rolls - Maryann/Lorraine's Sweet potato rolls and I'm done.

Today, I made an egg roll recipe that I found on another forum that just sounded really good. And, is it ever - The first picture is of half the dough rolled out and I was realy afraid I'd rolled it too thin. But, turned out to be the perfect size for what I wanted.

[Image: RolledOutEggDough.jpg]
[Image: EggSliderRolsBaked-1.jpg]
the rolls were topped with (left to right) Laura's seasoned peppr, white sesame seeds, black sesame seeds and kosher salt.

Here's the recipe if anyone would like it -
----------
The posters notes: I took the Homemade Egg Bread recipe and made hamburger buns with the dough. Fan tastic! Nice and soft and they didn't fall apart.
Here's the recipe again in case you want to try it. Next, I will attempt hot dog buns.

Ingredients
2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
1-1/2 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon salt
3 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup butter, softened
7 to 7-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoons water
Sesame seeds

Directions
Dissolve yeast in water. Add milk, sugar, salt, eggs, butter and 3-1/2 cups flour; mix well. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.

On a floured surface, knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes.
Place in greased bowl; turn once to grease top. Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled, 1-1/2 to 2 hours.

Punch down. Cover and let rise until almost doubled, about 30 minutes. Divide into six portions. On a floured surface, shape each into a 14-in.-long rope. For each loaf, braid three ropes together on greased baking sheet; pinch ends to seal. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 50 minutes.

Beat egg yolk and water; brush over loaves. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes.
----------
I made buns out of them instead of the braided bread. baked them at 375° 18 minutes and they were perfect.

And that little pkg. of chicken I found in the freezer with the recipe to use it in a wrap - fantastic. Altho, I did morph it into a tostado instead.
[Image: SweetPotatoandChickenTostados.jpg]

You combine the chicken, 1 1/2 cups mashed sweet potato, jalapeno pepper, 1/2 can refried beans. And we topped the tostados with tomatoes, red onion and lettuce. Really tasty. Now, I hope I can find the master recipe that will tell me what I did with the chicken.....

Lorraine, let's go get a bottle of wine!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Thursday 6/23? by cjs (Wow, what a cooking ...)
Both look yummy, Jean! I can't wait to try the rolls! I have a few more projects to finish around the house, then on to baking. I'll just have to do it early in the morning.
Daphne
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Thursday 6/23? by Gourmet_Mom (Both look yummy, Jea...)
Those rolls look great, Jean (the chicken,too). Did you use a biscuit cutter to get the rolls so evenly sized? I've been thinking about making slider buns for a while, but hot weather seems to make me lazy.

We had sesame noodles with chicken and veggies for dinner. I was hoping for more rain so didn't want to grill, but it all went south.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Thursday 6/23? by karyn (Those rolls look gre...)
Well, I have chickened out! I went to get started on dinner and 3 more of the suckers were gaping at me. Tap, tap, tap....still gaping. I'm not in the mood to get sick tonight. Shrimp is thawing. I'm doing an experiment....gonna go with Chef Cameon's recipe for the mussels, but trying it with shrimp. All the prep work is done, so why not? I'm gonna stick to local clams!

Edited to add: For your notes, Jean! The recipe works for shrimp. We really enjoyed it. I know it's prettier with mussels, but I just couldn't risk it. I WILL be trying this with fresh local clams soon!
Daphne
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Thursday 6/23? by Gourmet_Mom (Well, I have chicken...)
Jean that all looks so good!

We are skipping dinner tonight. We're whupped, stayed up way past our bedtime last night for the "work campers" party. It was great fun and worth it. We made a wonderful salsa and poppers in the chili grill (it fit in the oven and worked great Jean - you get to keep the little guy!)

We had a late lunch (omelettes with left over poppers in them) and chips/salsa & cheese for "dinner".

Bob has to be at work at 6 am and I'm lucky - 6:30! He'll be out grooming the course, I'll be in the Pro Shop. This weekend there's a BIG tournament and we'll both be working on and off all weekend. Bob will be bartending and I'll be helping in the kitchen and setting up buffets and doing whatever needs doing. Lunch tomorrow maybe the last normal meal until Monday.

I did have a great dinner planned: Mole rubbed boneless pork loin chops with grilled peaches were going to be the star. Oh well they're frozen.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Thursday 6/23? by Harborwitch (Jean that all looks ...)
Dang it! I just realized I forgot the Balsamic Vinegar! OIY! Well, it was good enough to do again as it was. So I guess I'll do it again with clams and do it right.
Daphne