Ideas for freezing napa cabbage?
  Re: (...)
Daphne's Vietnamese Sticky Chicken recipe suggests wrapping the chicken and the pickled mixture in lettuce leaves, then eaten by hand.

Instead of the leaf lettuce, I was thinking of using napa cabbage (since the romaine, here, is not always that great and napa cabbage would seem a natural for an Asian dish).

The thing is: napa cabbage is so BIG that I would need some other ideas for using the remainder of it. Yes, there are lots of good recipes for napa cabbage out there, including a number of tasty, Asian-flavoured salads, but what ideas do any of you have (other than just soup, unless you have a truly spectacular one) where I could freeze the napa cabbage without having to consume all of it right away?
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Ideas for freezing napa cabbage? by labradors (Daphne's [url=http:/...)
Okay, after a short cruise through part of MC, I came up with two ideas. I have no idea how they would freeze, though. The first idea is stuffed cabbage. The other is a dish I have had long ago and really enjoyed but haven't made since. I don't know why. We called it Yakasobi Noodles, but MC calls it Yatsobi. Obviously, you would prepare it up to the point of adding the noodles and bean sprouts when freezing.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Ideas for freezing napa cabbage? by labradors (Daphne's [url=http:/...)
How about "unstuffed" cabbage roll casserole. Once in a while, when I'm being lazy and don't feel like rolling them, I get all my ingredients ready and just layer it in a casserole as follows: finely shredded cabbage, meat and rice filling seasoned to your taste, more of the cabbage, then top with your choice of tomato sauce. You can freeze this until you are ready to bake it. Naturally, it's going to taste a little different than most Eastern European recipes for stuffed cabbage, but it will still be good.

Too funny, we were posting at the same time, Daphne, and the same thing!

Labs, I had another idea. What about kim-chee?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Ideas for freezing napa cabbage? by Mare749 (How about "unstuffed...)
Labs, I use my leftover cabbage for "Beerox/Bierox/Runza" - I've made them for my family all their lives and they are often (too darn often) requested for b'day dinners!

from a Chef's Journey....Home, page 98

I learned to make “Beerox” when I was a new bride from a neighbor who only showed me how to make it, but I’d never seen a written recipe for “Beerox,” so I had no idea of the correct spelling. Over the years I have run across “Beirox” and “Runza” which are so similar to the Beerox I was taught to make. Whatever it is called, my family never tired of eating these little goodies – and they are just as good cold as hot. In recent years I’ve been brushing them with a mixture of butter and vegetable oil, but years ago, before we knew about cholesterol, I dipped them in bacon grease for the most wonderful flavor of all!!

Beerox

1 lb. bread dough (pizza dough works well)
1 lb. ground beef (Note to Labs: pork, chicken, or no meat at all, just season cabbage more)
1/2 head medium-sized cabbage, shredded
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
A mixture of melted butter and oil, or melted bacon grease

Preheat oven to 375°F.

Sauté the beef, cabbage, onions and garlic until beef is no longer pink and the vegetables are soft.

Roll or pat out a circle of dough (about 2-2 1/2 oz. for each) to a diameter of 3-3 1/2” and about 1/4" thick. Lay in the palm of your hand and put about one tablespoon of the meat mixture in the middle. Bring the edges of the dough up and over and pinch closed to seal completely.

In a baking pan, liberally coat the bottom with butter/oil mixture; put the beerox smooth side down to coat the top and turn over placing the beerox so they are touching in the pan. Repeat for the rest of the dough and filling.

Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until rolls are golden brown. Remove beerox from pan and let cool on a baking rack if not serving immediately.

CJ’s tip: Beerox freeze beautifully and can be enjoyed hot, room temperature or cold.

------
and, you love working with pizza dough, so you're all set.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Ideas for freezing napa cabbage? by cjs (Labs, I use my lefto...)
Not a fan of kimchi, but the other ideas sound interesting. Also just remembered that spring rolls would always be an option.
  Re: Re: Ideas for freezing napa cabbage? by Mare749 (How about "unstuffed...)
Quote:

unstuffed" cabbage roll casserole.

I think Maryann nailed it.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Ideas for freezing napa cabbage? by Lorraine ( [blockquote]Quote:[...)
Thanks Lorraine! I was just thinking that Jean's beerox sounded pretty yummy and haven't made them yet. Of course, Ron would love them dipped in bacon grease, even if it isn't good for him!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Ideas for freezing napa cabbage? by Mare749 (Thanks Lorraine! I ...)
Died and gone to heaven when I used to do that, Maryann!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Ideas for freezing napa cabbage? by cjs (Died and gone to hea...)
Apart from Minestrone and moo-shu I love penne with pancetta, bacon and cabbage. It was my favorite dish at my favorite Italian restaurant which is no longer open, so I created my own version. Before having it there, I would have never thought of putting cabbage with pasta, but I love it. Let me know if you'd like me to post my recipe.
  Re: Re: Ideas for freezing napa cabbage? by Cubangirl (Apart from Minestron...)
Sounds wonderful. Wish I could get pancetta.