Deviled Egg question
  Re: (...)
Ron loves deviled eggs, so it's something I do a few times over the summer. In fact, I made some today. My question is why do they get watery if you have any leftover for the next day? I tried using less salad dressing today hoping that would help.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Deviled Egg question by Mare749 (Ron loves deviled eg...)
Are you talking about the water that develops in the bottom of he dish or the filling? I think I may have had a little water develop in the dish, but my filling has never gotten watery. More info, please.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Deviled Egg question by Gourmet_Mom (Are you talking abou...)
According to THIS recipe from Epicurious:

Quote:

...keep the components (the cooked egg whites and the yolk mixture) separate until you get to the game. Assembling them on-site keeps them from getting watery (and makes it look like you know what you're doing).

If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Deviled Egg question by labradors (According to [url=ht...)
What he said - I usually fill just what I think we'll eat and keep them separate for another batch. (I've even been known to dump the filling out of the white into a bowl, rinse the whites and keep them to fight another day... ) No one can tell.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Deviled Egg question by cjs (What he said - I usu...)
Wow, this is really good to know, as this is something that he really enjoys in the summertime. He will even eat them on the way out the door in the morning. Thank you!

Daphne, to answer your question, it seems like the actual egg gets all watery, not just the dish they are sitting in.
Now that I know what to do, I can go ahead and make my usual amount, but just won't fill all of them.
Maryann

Re: Re: Deviled Egg question by Mare749 (Wow, this is really ...)
Well, isn't that good to know! To be honest, they never really hang around my house long enough to get watery, I guess....LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Deviled Egg question by Gourmet_Mom (Well, isn't that goo...)
Yup, what the others said. When I do them for brunches, I put parchment paper in betweenthe layers of empty whites.I fill 3 trays at a time (one on the buffet, 2 for back up), so they are never sitting for more than an hour.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Deviled Egg question by Lorraine (Yup, what the others...)
Maryann put the yolk mixture into a ziploc bag when you travel with them. Then all you need to do is cut the end of the bag and quickly pipe in the filling to the eggs.
  Re: Re: Deviled Egg question by DFen911 (Maryann put the yolk...)
Thanks everyone. Great ideas here. Actually, the deviled eggs that I made the other day held up overnight. I used less salad dressing and not only was the flavor better, but they didn't get watery.

I like Denise's idea to use a ziploc. That way you can fill as you need them.
Maryann

Re: Re: Deviled Egg question by Mare749 (Thanks everyone. Gr...)
I do the zip loc bag thing. I have never had them get watery though. I don't use 'light' mayo either. They don't last long. I may have to make some tomorrow. Now I am hungry for them.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura