Bacon Jam
  Re: (...)
Bacon Jam is wonderful!! The recipe is from a blog called, "Not Quite Nigella" - some good ideas there.

Bacon Jam*****

500 grams/1 pound smoked bacon (or use regular bacon and liquid smoke) (about 1 lb.)
4 cloves garlic -- chopped
1 medium brown onion sliced
3 tablespoons brown sugar
Tabasco sauce (according to taste)
1 cup coffee
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup maple syrup
Black pepper to taste
extra water

1. In a non stick pan, fry the bacon in batches until lightly browned and beginning to crisp. Using a pair of scissors cut into 1 inch pieces.

2. Fry the onion and garlic in the rendered bacon fat on medium heat until translucent.

3. Transfer the bacon, onion and garlic into a heavy based cast iron pot and add the rest of the ingredients except for the water. Simmer for 2 hours adding 1/4 of a cup of water every 25-30 minutes or so and stirring.

4. When ready, cool for about 15-20 minutes and then place in a food processor. Pulse for 2-3 seconds so that you leave some texture to the "jam" or of course you could keep whizzing and make it a smoother and more paste like.

[Image: a-baconjam2-1.jpg]
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Bacon Jam by cjs (Bacon Jam is wonderf...)
YUM! That looks delicious! What a cool idea! But how do you stop yourself from eating the whole jar!?!?!?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Bacon Jam by Gourmet_Mom (YUM! That looks del...)
Right up his alley. Thanks, Jean!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Bacon Jam by Lorraine (Right up his alley. ...)
That sounds tasty! What are you going to use it for? I can see us sitting around that jar with a spoon and discussing it while we eat the whole thing!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Bacon Jam by Mare749 (That sounds tasty! ...)
It will be one of the condiments for the beef sliders Saturday...if there is any left.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Bacon Jam by cjs (It will be one of th...)
"Not quite Nigella"? Ah! That means it will be interesting. LOL!

Actually, this DOES sound VERY interesting.

This brings up a question that I have, but it is not closely related enough to ask here. I'll use a separate topic.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Bacon Jam by labradors ("Not quite Nigella"?...)
Ok this sounds like a jar of heaven! I must try this Importing it to YS as I type