Cold Boiled Chicken
  Re: (...)
Does anyone ever do this anymore? Seems like an old idea brought back with a new twist. Since I'm always looking for healthy lunch ideas, this sounded interesting, so I'm going to make this later today.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Cold Boiled Chicken a la Chinois

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
6 large bone-in chicken thighs
salt and pepper
1 2" piece ginger -- thickly sliced
4 cloves garlic -- sliced
3 star anise
4 scallions, 2 whole and 2 slivered
3 Tablespoons chopped cilantro
1 jalapeno, thinly sliced -- optional
2 Tablespoons roasted sesame oil
Lime wedges for serving

Season the thighs generously with salt and pepper. Put them in a pot and barely cover with cold water. Add the ginger, garlic, star anise and the two whole scallions. Bring to a gentle boil and skim any rising foam. Turn the heat to very low, cover, and cook at a bare simmer for 1 hour.

Transfer the thighs to a bowl to cool. Skim the fat from the surface of the cooking liquid. Over high heat, reduce the liquid by half, about 10 minutes, then strain it over the thighs. Cover and refrigerate several hours or overnight.

To serve, arrange the chicken on a platter, leaving some of the jellied broth clinging to the thighs. (Alternatively, the skin may be removed and discarded, and the meat pulled from the bone and shredded.) Lightly sprinkle with salt and pepper. Top with slivered scallions, cilantro and, if you like, jalapeno slices. Drizzle with sesame oil and surround with lime wedges.

Yield: 4 to 6 servings

Source:
"NYTimes.com/recipes"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 124 Calories; 4g Fat (24.3% calories from fat); 5g Protein; 22g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 10mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Cold Boiled Chicken by Mare749 (Does anyone ever do ...)
That sounds really tasty, Maryann! I can't wait to hear how you like it.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Cold Boiled Chicken by Gourmet_Mom (That sounds really t...)
Can't say the last time I cooked/poached a chicken like this. Since I started baking sheet pans of chicken for leftovers (per pantry items in 'Black Beans & Rice' - that's how I do them now. and then use the bones for a nice stock/broth that usually turns out gelatinous.

Can't you just smell the wonderful aromas from a pot of Maryann's version???
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cold Boiled Chicken by cjs (Can't say the last t...)
Haven't done it in ages, the flavours sound great.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Cold Boiled Chicken by Lorraine (Haven't done it in a...)
Oh my, the house just smells heavenly! Chicken is done, broth is reduced and all is cooling. I thought that an hour might be a bit long to simmer the chicken, but was careful to not let it boil. It had a good flavor when I took it out, but I'm thinking that after soaking in the reduced broth overnight, it's going to be wonderful.

More tomorrow.
Maryann

Re: Re: Cold Boiled Chicken by Mare749 (Oh my, the house jus...)
Keep us posted, Maryann. It sounds wonderful so far!
Daphne
  Re: Cold Boiled Chicken by Mare749 (Does anyone ever do ...)
Maryann, this sounds wonderful! Gotta try it in bulk! My grocer has thighs on sale for 1.29 lb.

I will try to report backWink
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Cold Boiled Chicken by luvnit (Maryann, this sounds...)
Just tasted this so I could report back. It's absolutely delicious after chilling overnight. There is a hint of all of the flavors, but it's not overpowering. Actually, it's perfectly seasoned for my taste.

There is one change that I would make next time. Rather than trying to skim the fat off the top of the broth, I'm going to use my gravy separator. There was still more fat that had to be scraped off after chilling.

I'm going to freeze a container of this for later use in "Pho" and another to use in Vicci's sobo noodle dish. The rest we'll probably pick at till it's gone.
Maryann

Re: Re: Cold Boiled Chicken by Mare749 (Just tasted this so ...)
Great ideas, Maryann! I'm going to give this a try soon!
Daphne