Interesting Use for Soda Pop
  Re: (...)
These cakes sound interesting...and I have a bottle of rootbeer.

http://www.preparedpantry.com/Recipes/Ho...p-Cake.htm
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Interesting Use for Soda Pop by cjs (These cakes sound in...)
Doesn't that sound good! But what is root beer flavor?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Interesting Use for Soda Pop by Gourmet_Mom (Doesn't that sound g...)
You've never made rootbeer?? It's an extract - most large markets will carry it. At least they did when we were making it for the kids. It's fun to make, Daphne and tastes so much better than most commerical.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Interesting Use for Soda Pop by cjs (You've never made ro...)
Ron loves root beer, but I've never made it. Do you have a recipe handy?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Interesting Use for Soda Pop by Mare749 (Ron loves root beer,...)
I'll check with Roy - he has a little black book of all the beverages he has made over the years. it's fun to make.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Interesting Use for Soda Pop by cjs (I'll check with Roy ...)
"Root Beer Flavor" is just that: a syrup or concentrate with the flavour of root beer. Most of them are artificial and NOT extracts, since the true extracts were found to be carcinogenic. I think someone did find a way to remove the carcinogen, however, so there are a few true extracts - with the carcinogen removed - available on the market.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Interesting Use for Soda Pop by labradors ("Root Beer Flavor" i...)
This reminds me of Coca Cola cake I used to make for a lot of birthday cakes

1 cup Coca-Cola
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 3/4 cups sugar
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cups miniature marshmallows
Coca-Cola Frosting
Garnish: 3/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted

Preparation
Combine Coca-Cola and buttermilk; set aside.
Beat butter at low speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add sugar; beat until blended. Add egg and vanilla; beat at low speed until blended.

Combine flour, cocoa, and soda. Add to butter mixture alternately with cola mixture; begin and end with flour mixture. Beat at low speed just until blended.

Stir in marshmallows. Pour batter into a greased and floured 13- x 9-inch pan. Bake at 350° for 30 to 35 minutes. Remove from oven; cool 10 minutes. Pour Coca-Cola Frosting over warm cake; garnish, if desired.

Note: Don't make the frosting ahead--you need to pour it over the cake shortly after baking.
  Re: Re: Interesting Use for Soda Pop by cjs (I'll check with Roy ...)
Quote:

I'll check with Roy - he has a little black book of all the beverages he has made over the years. it's fun to make.

Oh, the kids would get such a kick out of that! They all only get a soda for a special occasion since their mommies worry about too much sugar. That would be such a treat!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Interesting Use for Soda Pop by Mare749 ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
If you'd like to experiment with making ginger ale, try THIS recipe. I have made it many times and it is excellent.

I would add three notes to the recipe, based upon my experiences:
  1. DO use the lemon juice (which is listed as optional). I think it's better that way.
  2. The only yeast available to me is instant yeast, and that has worked perfectly, with the same amount listed in the recipe.
  3. Start at the LOW end of the range of ginger stated - maybe even a bit lower, unless you like it stronger.
  4. The recipe mentions "floating pieces of ginger" and filtering the ginger ale, but I don't worry about that because I put the grated ginger into the cloth from a cloth coffee filter, tie it with a strong piece of thread (dental floss) and tie the other end of the thread around the neck of the bottle to be able to remove the filter from the bottle easily. Cheesecloth may work, as long as it's not too loose a weave. A square of muslin would be closer to what I use.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Interesting Use for Soda Pop by labradors (If you'd like to exp...)
Interesting - I'm thinking I need to play with this.

Maryann, Roy found his 'recipe' and gave it to me, but I can't read the darn thing, so he's going to have to translate for me.
www.achefsjourney.com