Review- Blackened Dixie Tuna Sandwiches
  Re: (...)
From the newest, Issue #88

I made the tuna steaks exactly as directed, except that I halved the amount of sugar and left out the mayo. A very good, very quick meal! I usually serve grilled tuna in some sort of Asian style over rice, and this was a welcome change. Both DH and I gave it a 9.

Blackened Dixie Tuna Sandwiches

2 tsp brown sugar
1 tsp each garlic powder, dried thyme, paprika, black pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
2 ahi tuna steaks (4-6 oz each)
olive oil
mini focaccia roll, split
mayo
lettuce

Preheat grill to medium-high
Brush grate with olive oil
Combine the brown sugar and garlic powder through cayenne in a small bowl.
Brush tuna with olive oil and press spice mixture firmly into each side.
Grill tuna, covered, about 2 minutes per side for rare of 3 minutes per side for medium-rare.
Brush cut sides of focaccia with olive oil and grill, face side down, for 1-2 minutes to toast.
Assemble: brush each foccacia piece with mayo, top with a lettuce leaf and a tuna steak.

There was also a recipe for a celery root remoulade, but not having any celery root, I just put together a similar sauce using yogurt, mayo, wasabi powder, dijon mustard, garlic powder, cayenne, and s&p.

No photo. I sliced the focaccia unevenly and the tuna steak kept sliding off.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Review- Blackened Dixie Tuna Sandwiches by foodfiend (From the newest, Iss...)
Good to know, Vicci! And GREAT to see you on!

I STILL haven't tried MR tuna. And that's funny, cause I can get it fresh out of the ocean. I guess I need to get Buck to bring me some, and then it will be okay....right? Does the type of tuna make a difference?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Review- Blackened Dixie Tuna Sandwiches by Gourmet_Mom (Good to know, Vicci!...)
Oh my, I could get in trouble with this one. Hmmm, might be a way to use up the Comeback sauce that goes with the burgers on the next page (tonight's dinner ). I even have some grits in the freezer......

Psssst... Lorraine - remember the fiasco of Roy driving all over Colorado looking for celery root for the fund raising dinner??????? I don't mention that item to him anymore.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Review- Blackened Dixie Tuna Sandwiches by cjs (Oh my, I could get i...)
This sounds great Vicci!
Daph, I know you're hesitant about the medium rare tuna. Remember when I was worried about making the lox? Well, I read somewhere that if the salmon, or tuna in this case, is frozen over nite it takes care of "things". I was glad to see this cuz with the lox recipe you don't cook it at all, not even MR
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Review- Blackened Dixie Tuna Sandwiches by farnfam (This sounds great Vi...)
Wow! That's good to know, Cis! I didn't hesitate with the salmon, because I figured the "cure" would "take care of things". But with the tuna, it's different. The freezing idea is great to know! Thanks!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Review- Blackened Dixie Tuna Sandwiches by Gourmet_Mom (Wow! That's good to...)
Someday I'll live in a place where I can seafood I don't fear
  Re: Re: Review- Blackened Dixie Tuna Sandwiches by DFen911 (Someday I'll live in...)
won't be long now, Denise, but then, who's counting......
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Review- Blackened Dixie Tuna Sandwiches by cjs (won't be long now, D...)
I remember it well, Jean.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Review- Blackened Dixie Tuna Sandwiches by cjs (won't be long now, D...)
Quote:

won't be long now, Denise, but then, who's counting......

Jean, you're too funny!

I like my tuna seared on both sides, but rare in the middle. Never had a problem with it yet.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Review- Blackened Dixie Tuna Sandwiches by Mare749 ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I will eat MR or even rare tuna, but DH likes his cooked through. I take his off the grill after mine, when it's still pink, and let it rest for a while (if he cooked it the poor little tuna would taste like leather).
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com