What's for Dinner, Thursday, 7/21??
  Re: (...)
What's on the menu for today?

Leftovers here, not sure what yet.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: What's for Dinner, Thursday, 7/21?? by cjs (What's on the menu f...)
Got everything for the Grilled Chicken Satay with Cashew Dipping Sauce yesterday, except for the ginger. Shall be getting that today and hoping to make the satay tonight. If not, then tomorrow.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Thursday, 7/21?? by labradors (Got everything for t...)
I have flank steak thawing. No clue what I will do with it, other than it will probably go on the grill

Ideas?
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Thursday, 7/21?? by DFen911 (I have flank steak t...)
It's a work day, so this probably is not what you're thinking of, unless you and Laura cook together....it's a Martin Yan sandwich that we just love with flank steak.

Looks like a lot, but it is really quite fast. I've marinated the entire steak and grilled it, then sliced and you still get lots of the flavor - even faster.

* Exported from MasterCook *

GRILLED BEEF VIETNAMESE STREET SANDWICH

Recipe By :Martin Yan, Quick & Easy Book
Serving Size : 4

Marinade:
2 Tbsps fish sauce
1 Tbsp soy sauce
2 tsps sugar
1 stalk lemon grass, bottom 4 inches only, minced
2 clove garlic, minced
1 T. chopped fresh mint
1 tsp chili garlic sauce
---------
3/4 lb beef tri-tip or flank steak, thinly sliced across the grain on the diagonal
Seasoned Mayonnaise:
1/2 c mayonnaise
1 Tbsp Oyster-flavored sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
---------
1 tsp vege oil
4 soft French rolls, split & lightly toasted
3/4 c fresh cilantro stems & leaves
1 c Sweet -&-Sour Shredded carrots (see recipe)
1 jalapeno chili, thinly sliced

Marinade: combine all the ingred. in a bowl & mix well.
Add the beef & stir to coat evenly.
Let stand for 10 min.

Mayo: combine all the ingred. in a small bowl and mix well. Set aside.

Place a grill pan over med-high heat till hot.
Brush w/vege oil.

Place the beef strips on the pan & cook, turning once, till now long pink about 2 min. on each side.
Remove from the heat.

Spread the mayo on the cut sides of each roll.
Divide the beef, cilantro, carrots & chili evenly among the rolls.
Close the rolls and serve.

SWEET-&-SOUR SHREDDED CARROTS:
3/4 cup rice vinegar
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
3 cups shredded carrot
1 T. fish sauce

IN small pan, combine the vinegar, water, sugar & salt & bring to a boil.
Remove from the heat and stir till the sugar dissolves.

Place the carrots in a heatproof bowl & pour the hot vinegar mixture over them.

Add the fish sauce, stir to combine, and let cool.
Store in a covered container in the frig; the carrots will keep for up to 1 month.

Serving Ideas : ----------
You can use other types of meat, such as pork or chicken, or even pressed tofu, for these delicious sandwiches, which are good for lunch.

The meat can be served with a variety of other dishes if you choose not to make sandwiches.Garlicky Peanut Noodles are great with the meat.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Thursday, 7/21?? by cjs (It's a work day, so ...)
Here's another one to think about, Denise. This came in my email today.

Korean Sizzling Beef

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------

1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons dry white wine
2 large garlic cloves, very finely chopped
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
One 2 1/2-pound beef flank steak, cut across the grain into twenty 1/4-inch-thick slices
16 scallions
Vegetable oil, for rubbing
Salt
Steamed rice, for serving

In a large, shallow dish, combine the soy sauce with the sugar, white wine, chopped garlic, toasted sesame oil and crushed red pepper, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Add the sliced flank steak and coat thoroughly in the marinade. Cover and refrigerate the steak for at least 4 hours or overnight.

Light a grill or heat a griddle. Rub the scallions all over with vegetable oil and grill them over high heat, turning once, until the scallions are just softened, about 2 minutes. Season with salt.
Working in batches, grill the steak over high heat until the slices are richly browned and medium-rare, about 30 seconds per side. Transfer the steak to a serving platter and serve with the grilled scallions and steamed rice.

Or you can try this one from Cuisine that Theresa has mentioned several times, so it must be good.

KOREAN-STYLE BULGOGI with Ginger Dipping Sauce

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 2 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup rice vinegar
2 Tablespoons soy sauce
2 Tablespoons fresh ginger -- minced
1 Tablespoon garlic -- minced
2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
2 teaspoons sambal
1 Tablespoon water
1 teaspoon cornstarch
Season and grill; Garnish with:
3/4 pound ribeye steak -- cut into 1/4"-thick strips
salt and pepper
sliced scallions
toasted sesame seeds

Preheat grill to high. Simmer sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, sesame oil, and sambal together together in a small saucepan over high heat.

Combine water and cornstarch in a small bowl, then whisk into the sauce. Return mixture to a boil and simmer 1 minute, remove from heat and set aside.

Season ribeye strips with salt and pepper; grill 2 minutes per side, then toss in 2 T. dipping sauce. Arrange strips on 2 plates and garnish with scallions and sesame seeds.

Serve with vermicelli, vegetables, and remaining sauce on the side.

SESAME RICE VERMICELLI
Makes 2 cups

4 oz. dry rice vermicelli
2 T. scallions, thinly sliced
1 T. toasted sesame oil
1 T. sesame seeds, toasted

Prepare vermicelli according to package instructions and cool. Toss with remaining ingredients.

Spicy Pickled Vegetables
Makes 2 cups

2 T. rice vinegar
1 T. fresh lime juice
1 t. sugar
1 t. sambal
1/2 t. kosher salt
1/3 cup each: carrot and daikon, peeled, sliced into matchsticks
1/3 cup cucumber, seeded, thinly sliced into half-moons

Whisk vinegar, lime juice, sugar, sambal, and salt together in a bowl until sugar and salt dissolve. Pour marinade over vegetables in a resealable plastic bag and refrigerate 1 hour. Drain vegetables in a colander before serving.

Source:
"Cuisine@Home Magazine, issue #70, page 15"
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Thursday, 7/21?? by cjs (It's a work day, so ...)
I think it is going to be this http://www.foodrepublic.com/2011/06/29/z...kes-recipe but with a green curry mayo. Perhaps a bit of marinated red pepper and artichoke salad on the side?
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Thursday, 7/21?? by farnfam (I think it is going ...)
Burgers with bacon, cheese and Comeback Sauce, here. I'm looking forward to it after all of the rave reviews!
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Thursday, 7/21?? by karyn (Burgers with bacon, ...)
Denise, the first one Maryann posted is most like mine. I think I already gave mine to you.

Karyn, you're going to LOVE it!

I had Mushroom Pork Marsala with buttery noodles and peas in mind, since I've got everything for that, but William had Kim's Spicy Chicken for lunch and doesn't want anything heavy. He told me to go for it, not one of his favs anyway. He said he'd be happy with a simple salad and tomato sammie. I'm undecided now.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Thursday, 7/21?? by Gourmet_Mom (Denise, the first on...)
Tonight it's the shrimp and corn chowder.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Thursday, 7/21?? by Trixxee (Tonight it's the shr...)
Daphne, make him a tortilla cracker and a big glass of wine!!
www.achefsjourney.com