Tomato Basil Soup
  Re: (...)
I did a quick search - don't know if I got the recipe here or on another site - but it was a beautiful soup with great flavor - garnished with Feta. Does anyone have a TNT or know what I'm talking about (cause I sure don't - it was a long, great day!).
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Tomato Basil Soup by Harborwitch (I did a quick search...)
This post has quite a few recipes in it. I have made Bill's soup with fresh tomatoes. Daphne has one in there with feta.

Tuscan Tomato Basil Bisque
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Tomato Basil Soup by esgunn (This post has quite ...)
Sharon, I started my forum interaction at the other place with a search for this soup years ago. I didn't find it there, but I posted it there when I did find it. The one in the link Erin posted was the one you picked up from me a few years ago on that site. I remember feeling so accepted when you liked it....LOL!

Sorry, feeling nostalgic for a minute....LOL! You could have picked up Bill or Jean's over the years and tried them, though. I've tried both of the others. And Jean's DOES have the fresh basil you mention, so that may be it. Either one you pick, you won't loose! They're all good! All three are tried and true in my experience!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Tomato Basil Soup by Gourmet_Mom (Sharon, I started my...)
Thank you for the link to the previous posts. Tomato soup is my comfort food. I have saved it for future use.

I just made some last night with the first batch of tomatoes from our garden. I adapted the recipe I used from Ina's roasted tomato and one from Epi. I love it because it is super healthy. It calls for heavy cream or Greek yogurt to be added just before serving, but we always skip it because it does not need it at all. I usually make Ina's Parmesan crisps and float them in each bowl, but was too busy this time. I made it using a little over 3 lbs. of fresh tomatoes and about 1½ lbs. of carrots (I used the baby bagged ones because I needed to use them up before we go.) The tomatoes, garlic and carrots are roasted so I did them the night before and finished the soup the next day. Then we threw it all in the Vitamix (minus the fresh rosemary stems) and made a smooth creamy soup. It turned out great, really filling. It can be made as thick or thin as wanted by increasing the chicken stock. The soup, some bread and cucumber/onion/dill salad make a full meal for me.

I'd be happy to share the full recipe is anyone is interested.
  Re: Re: Tomato Basil Soup by Gourmet_Mom (Sharon, I started my...)
Thank you Erin and Daphne. I've just been craving this soup.

Off to work in a couple. Thanks again!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Tomato Basil Soup by Harborwitch (Thank you Erin and D...)
Cuban Girl

I would love to have the recipe.

Thanks Marye
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Re: Tomato Basil Soup by mjkcooking ( Cuban Girl [br][b...)
Here you go. Hope you like it as well as we do.

EXPORTED FROM LIVING COOKBOOK

ROASTED TOMATO-CARROT SOUP WITH PARMESAN CRIPS*****

This fantastic healthy soup adapted from Ina's and Gourmet's recipes is flavorful and satisfying. Tomatoey without being acidic, the carrots give it a healthy sweetness. If retaining puréed solids, it is thick and does not need for the cream or yogurt.. The Parmesan Crisps add a nice contrasting texture as well as flavor or can shave some cheese onto soup. Original called for sugar instead of Splenda.
Using beefsteak or other juicy tomatoes makes for a light, delicately nuanced soup that works in hot weather. Plum tomatoes will result in a more intensely flavored soup that's good for the chilly fall months. Soup can be made ahead and chilled (covered once cool). Reheat just before serving or serve as is.

Servings: 8 Yield: 8 cups

Oven Temperature: 350°F

3 lbs. tomatoes (about 8 med.)
1½ lbs. carrots (about 7 medium)
9 garlic cloves, left unpeeled
4 TBS. olive oil divided
1½ tsps. kosher salt divided
1/4 tsp. black pepper divided
1 large onion
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1 TBS. Splenda
1 TBS. unsalted butter (optional)
1½ sprig fresh rosemary
1½ TBS. minced fresh thyme
1½ TBS. tomato paste
6 oz. tomato sauce
3½ cups reduced-sodium chicken broth (2 cans)
3 TBS. good quality brandy (I used Hennessy cognac)
6 TBS. heavy cream or plain Greek yogurt (optional)
6 servings PARMESAN CRISPS

Arrange tomatoes, cut side up, in 1 layer a large 4-sided sheet pan (covered with parchment for easier cleanup). add unpeeled garlic. Spread carrot rounds in one layer in another parchment covered pan. Drizzle tomatoes with 2½ TBS. olive oil and sprinkle tomatoes and carrots with 1¼ tsp. kosher salt and ¼ tsp. pepper.

Carefully place about half of the hot soup in Vitamix. Purée soup in batches until completely smooth. [If don't have Vitamix, then use immersion blender in pot or place soup in regular blender. Place sieve over large measuring cup and press solids until most of the liquid has been released. Return solids to blender and puree until smooth, you may need to add some liquid back. When puréed solids are the right consistency to your taste, put liquid back in blender and pulse a few ] When soup is the right consistency, then add brandy and pulse again to blend thoroughly. Soup can be served right away or placed in a microwaveable container and refrigerated for later use. When ready to serve, reheat in microwave.

Cook onion, oregano, thyme, rosemary, ¼ tsp. kosher salt and Splenda in 1½ TBS. oil and/or butter in a 6-to 8-quart heavy pot over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until onion is softened, about 10-15 minutes. Add tomato paste, mix well and cook an additional minute. Add tomato sauce and stir.

Add chicken stock and deglaze pan. Add roasted tomatoes, carrots, and garlic and mix well. Increase heat until bubble start forming and then lower heat and simmer, covered, 30-40 minutes.

If serving immediately, return blended soup to original pot. If using the cream (or yogurt) add it now, stir to combine thoroughly and simmer 2 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350°F with rack in middle. Peel and slice carrots into ½" rounds. Halve tomatoes lengthwise. Finely chop onions.

Roast tomatoes, carrots and garlic 1 hour, then cool in pan. Peel garlic cloves. This can be done ahead.

To serve, divide soup among 6 bowls. If using the parmesan wafers, float 1 crisp in center of each bowl.

Prep: 15 mins. Cooking: 2 hours Inactive: 15 mins. Total: 2 hours and 30 mins.

Source:ALINA'S ADAPTATION
Gourmet original:

Ina's original:

Recipe Type: ALINA'S ADAPTATION, Carrots, Gourmet, Make-Ahead, Side Dish, Soups, Tomatoes

EXPORTED FROM LIVING COOKBOOK

PARMESAN CRISPS

Servings: 8
Yield: 16 crisps

2 oz. Parmesan cheese

Preheat the oven to 350° F. Line a sheet pans with parchment paper or a silpat.

Grate 1 oz. of the Parmesan using the side of the box grater than finely grinds the cheese and then grate 1 oz of the Parmesan using the side of the box grater that makes long shreds of cheese, and then mix them together. Drop rounded tablespoons of the grated Parmesan on the parchment paper to make neat mounds. Bake in the oven for 6 minutes until golden.

Cool slightly and loosen with a metal spatula. Serve at room temperature.

Author: Ina Garten,
CRISPS:

Recipe Type: Cheese, Crackers, Ina Garten, Parmesan Cheese, Side Dish