Quick Etiquette question
  Re: (...)
Ok I need advice...we are having quests over for dinner, they do not drink. So I made up some nice flavored iced teas and sodas. However Derek and I like to have wine with dinner. Is it acceptable for me to open a bottle of wine? They're not prudes and know we partake, but wasn't sure if would proper form.
  Re: Quick Etiquette question by DFen911 (Ok I need advice...w...)
It would be in my house! We give everyone a wine glass and a glass of water. If they decline, that is their choice. We don't make a big deal out of it and no one else ever has either. Relax and have a great time!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Quick Etiquette question by Mare749 (It would be in my ho...)
Thanks Maryann...I've just never had guests over that don't drink
  Re: Re: Quick Etiquette question by DFen911 (Thanks Maryann...I'v...)
I would probably abstain only if any of the guests are alcoholics - just to avoid confronting them with that temptation.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Quick Etiquette question by labradors (I would probably abs...)
No neither one is a recovering alcoholics. It's a choice they've made not to. I've known them for years, just never had them over for diner before
  Re: Re: Quick Etiquette question by DFen911 (No neither one is a ...)
You're doing good, Denese. IMHO, folks can have whatever theu want to drink.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Quick Etiquette question by Lorraine (You're doing good, D...)
I'm with Maryann - I just put stemmed glasses out and a pitcher of ice water along with wine.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Quick Etiquette question by cjs (I'm with Maryann - I...)
One last note. Wine is food just like bread. Some people like bread with their meal, others don't.

On the other hand, I have a friend who is a recovered alcoholic for many years now. He told me one time that it was a year or more before he could attend social events because the temptation was too strong. Knowing this, I would never bring out any kind of alcohol because I wouldn't want to make my guest uncomfortable.

My sister-in-law is allergic to nuts and her son is allergic to shellfish, so I don't use either one for a family meal. I think that most guests will inform the host if there is something that they cannot have.

I hope your party was a great success!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."