What's for Dinner, Tues., 8/2??
  Re: (...)
What's on the menu for today?

We're having CarbLover's Tortilla salad, but doing the corn tortillas on the grill with the beans and cheese aka C@H's mojo pork tacos. No ground beef in the freezer (and, I's still not buying meat), so I have to grind up a cheap steak with some sausage for the meat layer. Yeah, 2 more pkgs. gone from the freezer.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: What's for Dinner, Tues., 8/2?? by cjs (What's on the menu f...)
I mentioned my produce stand purchases on yesterday's thread...I was so excited...LOL! We're having Country ham, fried okra, little red potatoes, sliced tomatoes, cukes and onions in vinegar, and biscuits. YUM!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Tues., 8/2?? by Gourmet_Mom (I mentioned my produ...)
Going with Epicurious's asian chicken and water chestnut patties (and old stand-by) and also their noodle salad with spicy peanut butter dressing. Maybe some sliced cucumbers and onions in rice wine vinegar as a veggie (thanks for the idea Daphne).
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Tues., 8/2?? by Trixxee (Going with Epicuriou...)
Oh, that reminds me! Jean, I got that white balsamic! Would this be a good way to have it for the first time....other than sampling....LOL! Or should I wait for just a salad? I kept meaning to do that this weekend and kept forgetting I had it.
Daphne
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Tues., 8/2?? by Gourmet_Mom (Oh, that reminds me!...)
You mean with the tomatoes and cucumbers?? sure, it would be a more subtle flavor than the more stringent vinegars.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Tues., 8/2?? by cjs (You mean with the to...)
Daphne, that sounds like such a nice, fresh Southern meal. Is the white balsamic milder? Trixxie, I made a sweet potato salad recently with a spicy peanut dressing on it. I loved the dressing and love sweet potatoes but not necessarily together...my attempt to make a healthier potato salad. But I will have to make the dressing again and put it over noodles.

Derek has been smoking a brisket all afternoon (yes, on what is supposed to be the hottest day of the summer here in Heat Wave, USA. Remind me to get his head checked before the "I do"s.) I was at work, so goodness only knows what is in the rub and sopping sauce. Sides are roasted balsamic brussel sprouts, roasted butternut squash, D's version of German potato salad and watermelon feta salad (I use Paula's recipe.) Oh yeah, and D and his roommate are smoking some halibut and salmon since the smoker is going, supposedly not for tonight's consumption. Too much food for three people, you say? I say we will have lots of leftovers to play with for the rest of the week.
Allison aka Younger Bay
"The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude." - Julia Child
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Tues., 8/2?? by cheesemonger (Daphne, that sounds ...)
Nice to see you Allison! I'm sure that brisket will be fabulous.

We had BLT's tonight. I know, not exactly what you call dinner, but it's what we wanted. Yum.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Tues., 8/2?? by Mare749 (Nice to see you Alli...)
Allison, it was the PERFECT Southern meal! Just like I remember having in summer at my grandmother's house! (Minus her special homemade biscuits. The last batch I tried came out like rocks....LOL!)

The white balsamic is much milder and slightly sweeter than regular, but it is very very good! I decided to hold that back for special and salads. I used regular apple cider vinegar for the cukes and onions. The tomatoes were just served plain with salt and pepper this time.

Your dinner sounds wonderful!

Maryann, that's exactly what we had last night! I love simple dinners like that in summer when tomatoes are fresh and ripe from the garden.
Daphne
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Tues., 8/2?? by Gourmet_Mom (Allison, it was the ...)
I've always called that a dinner, Maryann! Good to see you, Allison. I'd love to hear what you do with the 'leftovers.'
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Tues., 8/2?? by cjs (I've always called t...)
We had taco salad. It was good.

The white Balsamic is also good in sauces where you don't want it to be too dark. My absolute favorite C@H BBQ sauce - Mustard BBQ sauce uses the white balsamic. I think that is why I first started buying it.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.