A Pantry Challenge for All
  Re: (...)
I'm working on another book - "The Pantry" - and I'd like to challenge you all to a 2 month experiment. Don't worry, it won't be time consuming.

Once a week, I'd like you to go into your pantry and pick one item (excludng pasta, rice, grain, flours things that last forever) - things that have an expiration date or you know won't last forever, but it's still sitting on your shelf.

Use this item as a start for your dinner, breakfast, party, cocktail hour - no rules, no nothing - let's just use up what's in the pantry and see if we can come up with some family favorites. Don't make it difficult -

Let's say every week we choose an item (not something we just buy for the pantry ) - that's the only rule, and do something fun with it.

I'm starting this week and I'm grabbing a dusty jar of -
Forever Herbs Sunrise Jalapeno Compote, 10 oz. I bought it a couple years ago when I was really gungho on my Farmers Market cookbook. Got it somewhere in Easter Washington, I'm thinking 'cause it's from Thorp, WA. They even have a website www.thorpfruit.com - maybe I'll see some good ideas there.

Does this sound doable and fun to anyone else? I'm thrilled I'm already down one jar out of the pantry.

Oh, and the reason for all this? I'd love to hear your ideas and what you do. IT DOES NOT HAVE TO BE FINE DINING.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: A Pantry Challenge for All by cjs (I'm working on anoth...)
But I don't keep lots of stuff in my pantry....just essentials. I cured myself....LOL! Took a while, though. I do have a couple of things, though. I'll give it a shot with what I've got.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: A Pantry Challenge for All by cjs (I'm working on anoth...)
Could be fun. Just reminde me! My mind is gone!

Oh, hey, I keep my booze in my pantry. Hmmmm, I could like this challenge. Oh, maybe that is where my mind went !
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: A Pantry Challenge for All by esgunn (Could be fun. Just ...)
Hey, Erin! GREAT IDEA!
Daphne
  Re: Re: A Pantry Challenge for All by Gourmet_Mom (Hey, Erin! GREAT ID...)
Oh let's make this the challenge for August instead of a bday dinner review
  Re: Re: A Pantry Challenge for All by DFen911 (Oh let's make this t...)
Considering there are no active members with birthdays in September, I think we could work both in. If you want to! Although, Sally or Tammy COULD jump in. That would be exciting!
Daphne
  Re: Re: A Pantry Challenge for All by Gourmet_Mom (Considering there ar...)
Wait....does my spice pantry count? I have some Adobo Chili Powder and Ancho Chili Powder just begging to be used! Not to mention the cans of beans, chilis, and tomato sauce in the pantry....LOL!

And Jean, I won't be delving into the bakery shelf. Well, maybe....LOL!
Daphne
  Re: Re: A Pantry Challenge for All by Gourmet_Mom (Wait....does my spic...)
PATAK'S HOT MANGO CHUTNEY---Don't know where it came from--no ex date--pray for me--heat, alcohol, I can't do anything until after 8/15--maybe that will work!! Life began with a primordial soup of the sea and misc contents--This is one for the Gipper!!! And all of you!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: A Pantry Challenge for All by Gourmet_Mom (Wait....does my spic...)
This sounds like fun. It will definately make me use some of the things I buy then can't remember why I needed them.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: A Pantry Challenge for All by Mare749 (This sounds like fun...)
Good idea, Erin - I hadn't thought of the liquor 'pantry' - there are bottles in there I have no idea what they are. Oh, this is going to be fun. I'm with you, Daphne, I have some spices also that I have no idea what they are for.

One is a brown sugar cone that Labs and some others talked about months ago that I picked up at a farmers market. I have paperwork on it somewhere.

Denise, I hope we can use this challenge as just a background to our other cooking and that you'll go ahead with your b'day (and the other b'day folks) dinner.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com