tomato salsa and V8 tomato juice recipes
  Re: (...)
Now that my garden is coming on nicely, I am looking for great recipes for tomato salsa and a V8 type of tomato juice. Want to be able to can the 2 recipes if at all possible.
  Re: tomato salsa and V8 tomato juice recipes by dianedetering (Now that my garden i...)
Jean's got a good salsa recipe I think. I can' t get to the recipes to copy paste right now. Hopefully I can get to it tomorrow if Jean doesn't beat me to it. Bill might have the juice if Jean doesn't have one.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: tomato salsa and V8 tomato juice recipes by Gourmet_Mom (Jean's got a good sa...)
Welcome to the forum!

Here's what I have to offer:

Salsa de Molcajete - This is my favourite salsa and I have made it countless times.

Copycat V8 Juice - Haven't tried this one yet, but want to.

Hope that helps.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: tomato salsa and V8 tomato juice recipes by labradors (Welcome to the forum...)
And then there's Labs, another salsa lover! Well done!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: tomato salsa and V8 tomato juice recipes by Gourmet_Mom (And then there's Lab...)
Thanks. The use of serrano peppers, instead of jalapeños really takes the flavour of that salsa to another level. I love almost any salsa (except Pace), but that one is so addictively delicious that if I don't have enough tortilla chips left in the bag, I'll just drink the salsa straight up and want more. Again, the serranos are the key.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: tomato salsa and V8 tomato juice recipes by labradors (Thanks. The use of s...)
Mine is very similar to Labs - I also prefer Serranos, but jalapenos work in a pinch.

DEFINITIVE SALSA

1/4 cup white or yellow onion
1 pound Roma tomatoes -- diced
3 green onions -- sliced
4 cloves garlic -- minced
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
4 Serrano peppers – minced (can use jalapenos also)
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice

Place yellow or white onion in strainer, rinse w/hot water & drain.
Thoroughly combine all ingred. in a mixing bowl.
Add a little more sugar if tomatoes are acidic, but make sure the salsa does not taste of sugar.

Chill in frig for at least 30 min. before serving.
----
and, if you have enough tomatoes, here's another idea from an old friend, Roberto -

This is one of our favorites and so, I give you Janie CLeary's homemade ketchup.

1 peck ripe Roma (or Other) tomatoes
4 large green bell peppers
6 medium yellow onions
1 quart cider vinegar
2 lbs. dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon ( Or more, to taste) each:
Cinnamon,
Allspice
pepper
2 tablespoons salt

Dip the tomatoes in boiling watrer to loosen the skins, remove the skins and core the tomatoes. Pass through a food mill to extract the juice/puree - We use out electric Juicer because we make double, even triple batches. Process the peppers and onions similarly so that you have no seeds, skins, juice only.

COmbine the juice and all other ingredients in a stainless pot and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently until it thickens to taste. Makes about 5 - 6 pints

We like to can ours in the pressure canner, but using sterile jars and a boiling water bath canner is also a good method.

Roberto's note: Hope you try it and enjoy it as much as we do..

----
Welcome to the forum and we all hope you continue stopping by.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com