Slow cooker recipes for chicken?
  Re: (...)
OK, thinking ahead here to the coming school year (Michael goes back two weeks from today) and I'd like to make the dinner/homework hour a little less hectic this year, especially with Michael being mainstreamed and starting 7th grade. No idea of what to expect homework wise.

Anyway, can anyone share one or two chicken recipes that you've liked in the slow cooker? I made one recipe years ago and apparently I over cooked it - I had a pile of bones and skin. It was not very appetizing. No rush - any time you think of one if you could add it here I would be very appreciative!

Sheesh, is summer really over in 14 days for us?
  Re: Slow cooker recipes for chicken? by Trixxee (OK, thinking ahead h...)
Here's one I'm sure your family would like -

* Exported from MasterCook *

SLOW-COOKED CHICKEN AND BURRITOS

4 frozen burritos, beef or bean & cheese
2-4 boneless chicken breasts
14 1/2 can Enchilada sauce
Cheddar cheese
TO TOP:
shredded lettuce, chopped tomato, onions and sour cream, and a little more grated cheddar cheese

On the bottom of a slow cooker, place the frozen burritos.
Lay the chicken breasts on top and cover all with the enchilada sauce.
Cook on low 5-8 hours - it's very forgiving - the last few minutes sprinkle some grated cheese over.

When ready to serve, shred the chicken and serve with the above toppers.

Description:
"This recipe is so off the wall, I just had to try it - and if frozen burritos are one of your favorite junk foods (it's mine!), you'll love this!!"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
and here are some testimonials...

http://www.forums.cuisineathome.com/ubbt...=true#Post25050

and here are some more crockpot recipes we've shared over time.
http://www.forums.cuisineathome.com/ubbt...=true#Post60623
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Slow cooker recipes for chicken? by cjs (Here's one I'm sure ...)
Trixxee, One I rely on alot I call Salsa Chicken. I just use chicken thighs and sometimes I put black beans and corn in the bottom of the crock pot, layer boneless skinless chicken thighs, season, dump salsa on - one cup or so. Cook on Low for 5 to 6 hours. I serve this over rice with toppings (lime, cilantro and red onion are key) in taco's with lettuce as a salad, in wraps, etc. Last night I used a pork Loin Tip roast (Small one from costco) It was great.

I will be trying more and more this fall with Steve gone and kids in gym. As I come across keepers I will try and share them. Do they all have to be chicken?

Here are a few more we like:

Chicken Curry

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:30
Categories : Crock Pot Main Dish
Main Dish Chicken

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons curry powder
1 1/2 teaspoons cumin powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 pounds chicken thigh without skin -- cut in 1" cubes
2 Cups potato -- peeled and chopped
1 1/2 cups carrots -- sliced
1 cup apple -- chopped
3/4 cup onion -- chopped
2 cloves garlic -- minced
1 jalapeno -- seeded and chopped
1/2 cup chicken stock
1 can coconut milk
4 cups rice, cooked
1/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup peanut -- chopped

In a large resealabe plastic bag combine flour, curry powder, cumn and1 tsp salt. Add chicken, a few pieces at a time, seal and shake to coat.

In a 3 1/2 to 4 qt slow cooker combine potatoes, crrots, apple,o nion, arlic, jalapeno. Place chicen on too vegetbles and pour chicken stock ovr chicen.

Cover; cook on lo setting for6 to 8 hours r high for 3 to 4 hours

If usuing low heat, turn cooker to high. Stir coconut milk into chicken mixture. Cover; cook 30 minutes more. Serve over rice with raisins and paeanuts.

Description:
"Crock Pot Recipe"
Cuisine:
"Indian Curry"
Start to Finish Time:
"4:30"
T(High Setting):
"4:00"

NOTES : We likei t with less coconut milk.

Confetti White Chili

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:30
Categories : Crock Pot Main Dish Chicken

3 cans pinto beans, great Northern or cannellini beans -- 15 oz
1 1/2 cups red and green bell pepper -- chopped
1 cup carrot -- shredded
1 cup onion -- chopped
2 cloves garlic -- minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons dried oregano -- crushed
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 cans chicken broth -- 14 oz
2 cans diced green chiles
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
2 1/2 cups cooked chicken -- chopped

Drain and rinse 2 cans of the beans and place in a 3 1/2 or 4 quart slow cooker. Use a potato masher or fork and mash the beans. Drain and rinse the remaining can of beans.

Add the beans and the chicken broth, stirring until combined. Add remaining ingredients except the chicken or turkey and mix well. COver and cook on low 6 - 8 hours or high 3-4 hours.

If using low heat - turn to high and stir in chicken. Cover and cook another 30 minutes until heated through.

Garnish with shredded monterey Jack cheese, sour cream, tomato, avacado or cillantro.

Start to Finish Time:
"5:00"
T():
"4:30"

NOTES : Good with leftover chicken or Turkey

I use a combination of all three beans. Mash the two larger sized beans.

Crockpot Chicken Paprikash

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

1 whole Large Onion -- Thinly Sliced
8 Boneless skinless Chicken Thighs
Salt And Pepper -- to taste
Paprika (optional -- To Taste)
1/2 cups Water
Tapioca Starch -- Cornstarch, Or Flour (optional)
3/4 cups Sour Cream
8 ounces , weight Egg Noodles, Cooked Per Package Directions (preferably Wide, Dumplin' Style)

Place thinly sliced onions in the bottom of your slow cooker.

2. Season both sides of each chicken thigh with salt, pepper, and paprika (in that order). It's virtually impossible to over season this dish, as excess seasonings will fall off the thighs, but be aware of your salt nonetheless.

You can use chicken breasts if you prefer, but I don't find the flavor as deep.

3. Place your chicken thighs in your slow cooker on top of the onions. Pour the water over the chicken and cover. Cook on low approximately 8 hours, or on high for at least 4 hours. The lower and longer the better. (You can add some tapioca starch at this point to ensure a nice thick gravy at the end - I've never done it, but that's the best starch to use given the low temperatures. Do NOT add cornstarch or flour at this time).

4. Once the chicken has had time to get delicious and tender, take the chicken pieces from the pot, and remove the bones. This is another benefit to thighs - very few bones! Set the meat aside. Do NOT strain out the liquid!!

5. Mix the sour cream into the liquid left in the slow cooker. If you desire a thicker sauce, make a slurry out of 1/4 cup water and 1 tablespoon of cornstarch, and whisk into the gravy. Bring to a boil in a pot until thickened.

6. Stir the gravy and the chicken together.

Serve over cooked egg noodles

Source:
"Tasty Kitchen"

NOTES : Cook on High 4 hours.

Just take out Thighs and stir in Sour Cream

can also be served on rice.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Slow cooker recipes for chicken? by esgunn (Trixxee, One I rely...)
Here is another one we really like. I use the fully cooked Chicken Apple sausage from costco, I have also used other flavors of the chicken sausage too.

Beans and Sausage

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

1 LB chicken and apple sausage -- sliced
2 Tbsp Olive oil
2 small bell peppers -- any color, seeded and cut into strips
1 medium yellow onion -- chopped
1 garlic clove -- minced
1 can cannelini beans -- rinsed and drained
1 can red kidney beans -- rinsed and drained
1 can diced tomatoes -- with juice
1/4 cup dry red wine
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

In an un-greased skillet over medium heat, lightly brown the sausage. If the sausage is smoked or fully cooked, slice and set aside. If fresh, add the water. Cover until completely cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes. Uncover and cook for a few minutes more. Let cool and slice.

Wipe out the skillet and warm the oil over medium heat. Add the peppers onion and garlic; cook, stirring until just tender. Transfer to the slow cooker and add the sausage, beans, tomatoes and their juice, and wine. Cover and cook on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours, or LOW for 6 to 8 hours. Near the end of the cooking time check the consistency and cook with the lid off the thicken, if desired. Season with salt and pepper and serve

NOTE: Substitute any canned beans you like, just use a combination of two types. Great Northern bean easily found canned, is mild and pairs nicely with other more assertive beans. Serve with a nice loaf of fresh bread and butter and a green salad.

NOTES : Cooker: Medium or large round
Setting and cook Time: HIGH for 3 to 4 hours or LOW for 6 to 8 hours
Servings 4-6

Notes: fresh sausage such as turkey Italian sausage or 1 lb smoked ofr fully cooked sausage such as bratwurst or chicken apple

Made 8/18/2010. Really GOod. Used Cannelloni and red kidney beans, used chicken sausage with mozzarella and roasted garlic. The kids loved it.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Slow cooker recipes for chicken? by esgunn (Here is another one ...)
You guys are the best! Every single suggestion sounds right up my alley. I'm going to try the salisbury steak tomorrow.

And no, sure doesn't have to be all chicken recipes. I'll take any and all recommendations.

Thank you!
  Re: Re: Slow cooker recipes for chicken? by Trixxee (You guys are the bes...)
For something other than chicken, don't forget the yummy Lacquered Short Ribs with Spicy Ginger Sauce. Just remember that 1/4 cup of Sriracha may be a bit much for some people.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Slow cooker recipes for chicken? by labradors (For something other ...)
Trixxee,

These are from The Italian Slow Cooker by Michele Scicolone. Any interest you? (You'll still have to do some searing on the stove top for some)

Chicken with Rosemary & Garlic
Chicken Parm Heroes
Sicilian Style Orange Chicken
Lemon Chicken and Potatoes
Chicken w/Vinegar & Garlic
Chicken w/Peppers & Mushrooms
Chicken w/Cherry Tomatoes, Capers & Olives
Chicken w/Pancetta, Peas & Herbs
Pesto Chicken
Braised Chicken and Veggies w/Green Sauce
Chicken Salad w/Summer Veggies

I also have Cuisine @ Home Slow Cooker book:

Cajun Style Chicken Wings w/Cool Lemon Sauce
Chicken Tagine Side Dish: Couscous w/Apricot & Mint
Puerto Rican Chicken Stew Side Dish: Caribbean Fruit Salad
Chicken Cacciatore Side Dish: Lemon-Herb Pasta
Chicken Chili Verde Side Dish: Indian Fry Bread
Zesty Chicken Wraps
Jamaican Jerk Chicken Sandwich Side Dish: Mango Coleslaw
Chinese Chicken Lettuce Wraps
Baja Chicken Fajitas Side Dish: Frijoles Rancheros
Chicken Paprikash Side Dish: Lemon Couscous
Game Hens w/Tuscan Beans & Greens Side Dish: White Bean Crostini
Coconut Curry Chicken Side Dish: Jasmine Sticky Rice

If you'd like any of these let me know and I'll post!
Wendy
  Re: Re: Slow cooker recipes for chicken? by Bendee (Trixxee,[br][br]Thes...)
Awww, Wedy, that is sweet of you. This is where payback is a GOOD thing!

Trixxee, if you are interested in any of the C@H Slow Cooker recipes, I'll help, too.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Slow cooker recipes for chicken? by Gourmet_Mom (Awww, Wedy, that is ...)
I went and ordered the slow cooker book today- before I saw Wendy or Daphne's offer. You guys are so generous with your time to list recipes that I had not had access to.

My sister is happy that I have all these recipes at hand too. She is a high school Spanish teacher with a 5 year old and 8 year old and a husband who works swing shift so she is looking for "good" slow cooker recipes.

Thanks again all. I will report back on what I try.
  Re: Re: Slow cooker recipes for chicken? by Gourmet_Mom (Awww, Wedy, that is ...)
Quote:

Awww, Wedy, that is sweet of you. This is where payback is a GOOD thing!

It's the gift that keeps on giving!
Wendy